Just bought a 2004 Lincoln Ls, need help

So here's an update:

I reinstalled the old upstream sensors that were originally on my cats and all the codes went away. I kept the cheap sensors I got from amazon on the downstream connections. I reset the codes and they didn't come back for 100s of miles. BUT the engine started idling very low (750 RPM) which I knew was not good. When I first bought it the car idled at 1500 RPM.

You guys were totally right about using cheap oxygen sensors. It's causing more problems for my car now. When I start it up it has no power and doesn't want to drive. RPMs are super low and it wants to bog out. I have to put it into 1st or 2nd gear to get it driving properly. I am getting a P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected and P0316 Engine misfire detected on startup (first 1000 revolutions) in addition to the P0430 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold.

Can you guys recommend the right/quality oxygen sensors for this car? Downstream and Upstream. I should've done it right the first time.
I couldn't agree more with the last two post...upon initial start up the car will idle 1500 rpms and then drop to around 750...my suggestion is get your Cats tested with
Infrared Laser Thermometer Temperature Gun also you should always change out all COPs and plugs at the same time...just like plastic coolant parts...O2 sensors won't help much at this point...if they fix your problems I will be truly amazed

Okay so 750 RPMs is normal. That makes me feel a tad bit better.

Update: I reinstalled my old downstream sensors. So now I’m running the car with all original oxygen sensors. I reset the codes and I’ve been driving it to and from work everyday. It drives but definitely not as smooth as when I first bought it. Of course check engine light came back. I just checked the codes 5 minutes ago. I am still getting the P0301 and P0316 codes. I hope I didn’t damage the engine by using those cheap oxygen sensors. Engine vibrates a lot when idle. Had the same problem with my last car. Definitely misfires. Definitely need to address this ASAP. I know from driving my last car this will only get worse and cause substantial loss of power.

I am going to check the plugs and coils ASAP. At this point I’m thinking I replace all coils, plugs, and oxygen sensors with quality parts. You live and you learn..

Okay so 750 RPMs is normal. That makes me feel a tad bit better.

Update: I reinstalled my old downstream sensors. So now I’m running the car with all original oxygen sensors. I reset the codes and I’ve been driving it to and from work everyday. It drives but definitely not as smooth as when I first bought it. Of course check engine light came back. I just checked the codes 5 minutes ago. I am still getting the P0301 and P0316 codes. I hope I didn’t damage the engine by using those cheap oxygen sensors. Engine vibrates a lot when idle. Had the same problem with my last car. Definitely misfires. Definitely need to address this ASAP. I know from driving my last car this will only get worse and cause substantial loss of power.

I am going to check the plugs and coils ASAP. At this point I’m thinking I replace all coils, plugs, and oxygen sensors with quality parts. You live and you learn..
Sounds like a good place to start...get those misfires under control otherwise you'll be replacing your cats ...

Can someone explain to me how an improperly sealed ignition coil can cause gasoline to leak into the cats?

It doesn't. As the coils wear out/break down... they will misfire. When that happens... the un-ignited raw fuel makes its way through the engine... and eventually to the converter on the same side of the engine that has the mis firing coil.

Members online

No members online now.
Back