just an intro

CLYDE91

LVC Member
Reaction score
just bought a Mark VII, always loved the cars, imma ford lincoln mercury man all the way, fist time with a Mark though, im gona be doin some work to it this summer hopefully, mostly return to stock, maybe some mild fab. but im not a drag strip kinda guy, more about the cruise, thats about it for now

Welcome!

I agree with Rich. My cars are stock too, with a couple mild mods to the air suspension.

I'd love to see some Mark VII's at the Beach Party.:)

would love to go to the beach party

unfortunatly i dont want to push it driving out there, i bought the car from someone who used to/might still be part of this forum actually, and i was mislead about something like the "typical" rear main leak. that actually lets out around a quart a day, so i need to at least fix that first. actually bumpin the idea around in my head just to rebuilt another motor and replace it since i dont know exactly how long its been runnin w/o proper lubrication

soon as i get some photos ill upload them, little to snowy right now. but no worrys shes gonna be a work in progress for a while so ill post as she comes along

The Beach party is not until the middle of July, if you are interested. :cool:

ill do my best between work and my son times pretty limited with me, not to mention i need to find a place to do the work, my garage is condemed, if i open the door its gonna come tumblin down

One of THOSE garages, huh... If I knew where Berwyn was, I would offer some help. But for now, I can offer advise. Welcome aboard!

quiet far from green bay, but thanks for the thought, i could do the work in the driveway but i would need at least 2 solid days plus a little to allow for when i hit that mental brick wall that damn coyote always sticks in front of me when im trying to think. stupid Acme, who sells stuff to a coyote?

Ummmm.... no.... kinda normal here. Quick Q? Your sure its the rear seal and not the oil filter adapter gasket? There is a gasket behind the plate that the oil filter threads onto. They leak like crazy and oil can go anywhere! Newer style gasket is mucho better.

really? i had the oil changed when i first got it, i was in the shop with the guy, my short term memory is basically garbage but i dont seem to remeber the oil filter houseing being to far in the rear of the motor, my leak is right out the back of the crankcase best i can tell although there a lot of caked oil back there so i cant see an exact location, i know rear mains were a common 302 problem and i know when i leave it sittin and runnin it smokes like crazy from it dripping onto the cats, so i think best bet is the rear main. ive got her sitting right now so that i didnt kill her driving with poor oil pressure, once i find someone who'll let me use there garage or the weather breaks ill check out the houseing and the rear main

Ok, then it may be. Rear seals are not at all common on a 4.6L, but the gasket is. Oil can travel and make a big mess. It probably is the main seal, and you will probably need to replace the oil filter adapter gasket anyway - so add that to the list! :) But unless you see oil coming out, I would clean the areas very well and be sure the oil is coming from rear seal. Also, if it is the rear seal it would not end up on the cats since they are far to the sides, however, trans fluid can leak on the pipes big time and IS another common problem - the dip stick tube o-rings fail on the trans. Just some more info :)

forgive me if im wrong but isnt the 302 a 5.0 (technically, actually somewhere around a 4.8 or 4.9) but yea also i misspoke it doesnt have cats it has an h-pipe, which also falls slightly behind the RMS but it was jacked up at the time and thats why it was smoking like a siv. far as the trans goes the previous owner said it was rebuilt and it shifts like a dream so i think it was, id hope they changed all the seals, far as the motor goes, its been leaking for well over a year i justgot a great tax return im gonna pull it and put a rebuild in there and then tear the old one apart for fun, see what i can do with it. thanks for the advise though, i know what to watch for with the next one

I was referring to the 4.6 in the Mark VIII, the rear seals are not common on these. I know nuttn' about the 302, 5.0, 4.8, etc, etc...

Rebuilds are fun. Cost can very A LOT. There is always the option to go with a newer engine too. I picked mine up for about $1800 I think, it was not too much and is an 03/04, a better engine all around. You would have to get a Mach 1, Marauder or Cobra intake though. There are a few other little things too, but I did it and am extremely happy. I figured since I has to swap engines, I may as well go for the best versus swapping something stock back in. Well, whatever you do, good luck and let us know about it!!!!

1800 aint bad for an 03/04 4.6, i was looking into it a little, new 302 long block w heads might only run me a bit over a grand depending on the spec. im also thinking of upgrading. but like i said im not to interested in power. and when my mind goes to upgrade the adrenaline junky in my starts jumpin around. gotta keep that in check. i also found a guy sellin a 302 for 150, runs but id rebuild it myself, might have to jump on that one

Why Clyde, it's about time you showed up on here. Good to see you on board at this wonderful site. Hope you can make it to our summer beach party. The meets are always a blast.

well i tried to get the heat working again, i think im in denial of it being the heater core. ill do my best to get her where i want her before the beach party, hey why werent you with shaggy last night?

Hopefully you're heater core won't need to be totally replaced best of luck to you on the repairs, wish i could offer you garage space but I have none. LOL.

You mean Friday or Saturday? Friday I was sick. Saturday Shaggy called and told me and Richard that nothin was goin on that night. If there's a party next Saturday let me know, I'll send you a pm with my Email address, I should be there.

oh jeez, Conti has a friend! :D

Hey Clyde, if you ever need help with something let me know. I used to live in Cicero so its my old stomping grounds.

Jibit said:

Hey Clyde, if you ever need help with something let me know. I used to live in Cicero so its my old stomping grounds.

LOL Dave, verry funny. Yo Clyde are you going to the auto show?

Conti94 said:
Hopefully you're heater core won't need to be totally replaced best of luck to you on the repairs, wish i could offer you garage space but I have none. LOL.

You mean Friday or Saturday? Friday I was sick. Saturday Shaggy called and told me and Richard that nothin was goin on that night. If there's a party next Saturday let me know, I'll send you a pm with my Email address, I should be there.
yea and i DEFINATLY need to replace the motor now, pulling it into my drive way this morning a valve started tapping, always fail top end first, but yea far as this saterday as long as ericha give us the ok i was gonna have my birthday day party over there, didnt miss anything saterday, some moron threw another moron through a wall and i got pretty wasted

Jibit said:

well if i wanna get her runnin before the beach party i might just need a hand, gotta see though, depends on whether or not i get a new job in the summer

Conti94 said:
LOL Dave, verry funny. Yo Clyde are you going to the auto show?
me n my cousin were thinking about bringin my son friday, i went last year and i was at W.O.W. last weekend, gotta get the misses to approve it first though

Members online

No members online now.
Back