Jaguar S-Type

slackjoebill

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Jaguar S-Type motor. I can already get the right tranny(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=7922746474&rd=1#QA) for the swap but I cant seem to find a S-Type motor. This seems like a logical swap since the LS is built on the same platform as the Jaguar S-Type. What do you guys think? Ive been doing alot of research today and this seems like a better idea than supercharging, and alot cooler I might add. Ive looked everywhere for bolt-ons and this is how I feel....

:Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang

But after finding out how alike the LS and the S-Type are, I think the engine swap can be done (if it hasnt already been tryed before) and now I feel like....

:dancefool :dancefool

Last edited:
slackjoebill said:
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Jaguar S-Type motor. I can already get the right tranny(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=7922746474&rd=1#QA) for the swap but I cant seem to find a S-Type motor. This seems like a logical swap since the LS is built on the same platform as the Jaguar S-Type. What do you guys think? Ive been doing alot of research today and this seems like a better idea than supercharging, and alot cooler I might add. Ive looked everywhere for bolt-ons and this is how I feel....

:Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang

But after finding out how alike the LS and the S-Type are, I think the engine swap can be done (if it hasnt already been tryed before) and now I feel like....

:dancefool :dancefool
I might be wrong here - but the Jag uses a completely different PCM, wiring, sensor set - not a easy swap.

The Jag and LS computers use different protocals. You would have to have a stand alone engine computer that wouldn't communicate with the rest of the car. Most, if not all, of the guages won't work.

The LS has many computers (FEM, REM, DDM, PCM, ABS/trac., ect.) and they all communicate on a common databus. If you change the PCM over to the jag PCM, the others wont like it very much. Then you can also say goobye to ABS and Traction controls, the LS motor is also controled by these, the engine will decel and lose power when you loose traction, if the ABS computer sees this, it wont be happy. The ignition harness/ignition will have to be replaced, the jag has a different ignition alltogether. You will also have to make sure the power steering system on the jag motor will work with the LS' steering. The instrument cluster will have to be replaced with universal gauges. You will need to get the emissions systems (EVAP purge on gas tank) already on the ls to work with the jags emissions controls so the jags computer doesnt have a problem. Cooling fans are totally different, and you might have to go with an aftermarket electric fan, and hope that you dont have cooling issues. This is only the tip of the iceberg, there will be many more problems on top of this. It would seem more logical to do a modular engine/tranny with a more simplified computer, a modular engine would also be a better idea if you were planning on doing anything aftermarket (forced induction upgrades), and also with the modular motor think of the tranny options you would have over the jag tranny. Dont get me wrong, id love to see this done... it would be a great accoplishment, but i dont see it ever happening. Then again, i never thought a turbo would either :biggrin:

Is it true that the new 2005 Mustangs will use the same computer as the LS. So would that swap be any easier than the Jag because the S-Type switch seems impossible or near impossible anyway.

As far as supercharging goes. Since the computer is the problem and the Mustang will use the same computer then someone is going to have to break the computer because you know the Mustangs are going to have superchargers so maybe us LS owners will finally be able to put some power to the ground. Tell me if Im wrong. Im running out of ideas. :Bang

slackjoebill said:
As far as supercharging goes. Since the computer is the problem and the Mustang will use the same computer then someone is going to have to break the computer because you know the Mustangs are going to have superchargers so maybe us LS owners will finally be able to put some power to the ground. Tell me if Im wrong. Im running out of ideas. :Bang

Correct - the new F150 and Mustangs will have a similar PCM - and both those represent large markets. But remember - since it's a compiled language - it is unique for every version of the PCM - so cracking the Mustang will not directly help the LS - but will put cracking the 'black oak' processor code much more common - hopefully reducing the price to do a LS.

You can probably run a low PSI charger (say 4PSI) without having to change to much. Mike (mikepietras04) did add a turbo to his (has access to the dealer computer) - but I think it isn't currently on his car now.

yep, still of. When i get time this winter im going to put it up under the hood somehow, too hard to work on in the back. But i was able to safely run 7psi

The Jaguar AJ-V8 first came out in the 1997 Jaguar XK8. It had 4.0l. The 2003 V-8-powered Jaguars (except for the 03 XJ...the 04 XJ is new) came with an improved 4.2l V-8.

I'm not sure if a superchager from a 98-03 XJR can be put in a Lincoln LS though.

Block dimensions

This may be impossible...since I'm a newb here...I'll risk it.

Will all of the accessories, heads and intake from the Lincoln motor bolt up to the Jag motor? If so, couldn't you just swap blocks? That way you'd get the bigger bore and with the Lincoln heads, I'd bet a pretty high compression ratio. I'm just thinking about the LS1 that's in my Camaro. Since it's the LSx family of blocks and pretty much anything from a 5.3L to a 6.0L will drop right in...with pretty much any head combo.

Something to think about from a turbo option might be the tailpipe turbo (see http://www.ststurbo.com/). They did an install on a Chevrolet truck in the latest issue of Sport Truck. Seems to be a legit way to bolt on a turbo without further reducing engine compartment space.

-Pete
02LSE

Last edited:
Pete02LSE said:
This may be impossible...since I'm a newb here...I'll risk it.

Will all of the accessories, heads and intake from the Lincoln motor bolt up to the Jag motor? If so, couldn't you just swap blocks? That way you'd get the bigger bore and with the Lincoln heads, I'd bet a pretty high compression ratio. I'm just thinking about the LS1 that's in my Camaro. Since it's the LSx family of blocks and pretty much anything from a 5.3L to a 6.0L will drop right in...with pretty much any head combo.

Something to think about from a turbo option might be the tailpipe turbo (see http://www.ststurbo.com/). They did an install on a Chevrolet truck in the latest issue of Sport Truck. Seems to be a legit way to bolt on a turbo without further reducing engine compartment space.

-Pete
02LSE
The LS run 10.5:1

The LS and the Jag share the DEW98 platform - but that's it - Jag does everything else different. None of the electronics are compatible, most of the engine internals are different, ...etc.

...sorry - but no go.

Members online

No members online now.
Back