Jaguar S-Type-R brake and wheel upgrade

This should be an awesome upgrade. I always felt the LS was under braked.

Did I hear that correctly? Someone agrees with me.......???

Mine's not under braked anymore..... :)

cnv0474ao5.jpg

cnv0665kl6.jpg

I love the brakes on the LS, compared to the puny 10.5" single pistons on my Regal GS these things will haul you down in a hurry. If this works out well for you I think I might add this to the list of things to do if its well under the cost but simular in performance to Rodewaryer's TCE kit. Hope they fit under the 18" Rial Porto's I'm thinking about getting since those Zues' will likely be much more expensive and hard to find.

I thought the same way when comparing my LS to my wifes Windstar and my Wrangler. But after 7 years of owning 2 LS's, I got to the point where I felt the brakes were hurting the performance as much as the lack of power. It was definitely world class in 2000 and was a nice step in 2003 but it has been left behind.

I decided to get a different car instead of upgrading the brakes on the LS. The M5 brakes are monsters.

The caliper bolts are more than an inch off. The bolt holes on the Type R caliper are much closer together. I wont be able to give more detail until the new knuckles come in. That should hopefully complete the package.

Hey, I've been doing some homework on the Jag's.
It appears that the 01-02, 03-04 and 05-06, 07+ have different brake calipers.

I believe that the 1st set were Alcon's then they moved to Brembo caliper, then modified the caliper again with a newer Brembo.

If Rodewaryer can check with Todd from TCE to see if all LS's have the same spindle this would resolve some issues.
As I'm assuming that Todd's kit a StopTech hat/rotor with a wilwood caliper and radial mount.

As StopTech's only show LS to 04. and not 05-06 models for there BBK.

I believe that the 05-06 Jag will fit the 05-06 LS.

If you do not wish to continue on with this project let me know and I'll take over.

This should be an awesome upgrade. I always felt the LS was under braked.

I've never felt that, never been in a situation where I didn't have enough road to stop. (Been in situation where I NEEDED to stop fast though).

Hey, I've been doing some homework on the Jag's.
It appears that the 01-02, 03-04 and 05-06, 07+ have different brake calipers.

I believe that the 1st set were Alcon's then they moved to Brembo caliper, then modified the caliper again with a newer Brembo.

If Rodewaryer can check with Todd from TCE to see if all LS's have the same spindle this would resolve some issues.
As I'm assuming that Todd's kit a StopTech hat/rotor with a wilwood caliper and radial mount.

As StopTech's only show LS to 04. and not 05-06 models for there BBK.

I believe that the 05-06 Jag will fit the 05-06 LS.

If you do not wish to continue on with this project let me know and I'll take over.

Cool, I have the early 05 Brembo calipers and rotors. I do have the knuckles and hubs coming in this week. From what I see the upper and lower control arms that hold the knuckle are the same through most of the years, so even with a changed knuckle, they shoud all bolt in right. But you are right, the calipers define what knuckles need to be used.

If this requires any more than the control arms, thats where I draw my line.

Did I hear that correctly? Someone agrees with me.......???

Mine's not under braked anymore..... :)

cnv0474ao5.jpg

cnv0665kl6.jpg

I must admit Todd from TCE makes a great BBK I have one on my other car a 97 Talon Tsi AWD it's the best set of brakes I have ever had it stops on a dime and give you change back LoL.
I am due for a set of brakes on my LS soon and I will be calling Todd in the next few months.

I like the Wilwood setup but the only thing is the rears are only a E brake caliper and not a full size one..Unless I read a previous post wrong.

I can make it a dual caliper set up, that was simply not the build order. Or perhaps do it with the stock caliper and a four pot design. I admit; I wish we had more piston area in this fine rear caliper but we don't. I can only do so much and at a a certain budget.

The project is in no way Stoptech related. I'm not sure how someone came to that conclusion.

I just got the knuckles in yeterday so I will be doing some more test fitting this week. Im not sure how much of it I will be doing with the 95+ degree weather here. I may wait until the fall.

As for the wheels, those are all in and sitting in my garage. I ordered what I thought were All Season tires, but were Summer tires. So I re-sold them and now I am waiting for my Blizzak tires to come in. Those will mainly be used for winter wheels. I may sell the 19's in the winter and keep the 18's on full time. Depending on how they look once I put them on in late fall/early winter.

How are the wheels man? Did you like em? Those rear wheels are just so hot even if they are not on a car yet.

How are the wheels man? Did you like em? Those rear wheels are just so hot even if they are not on a car yet.

the wheels do look great. I cant wait to get some tires on them just to put them on the car to see how they look. Once I see the look, I may stick with it and get rid of my 19's all together.

Man, you gotta put em on and keep em on. Those wheels are gonna look insane on your LS, lowered and all.

well you know who to go to if you do get rid of the 19s.... :D

Brake project is DEAD!!! The knuckles are different the way they mount to the lower control arms. I may try to get someone to fabricate mounts to fit the existing LS knuckles so the brake calipers fit. Check out the difference in the pic of the lower ball joints. Type R pic is left LS pic is right.

DSCN1243.JPG

Well, just from looking at the two knuckles, the lower bolt hole for the caliper is in the same spot for both knuckles if you look at the pic you can see what Im talking about.

The top caliper bolt is what is repositioned. This may still work with a fabricated mount to relocate the top bolt hole over a bit. I am ordering a LS knuckle today so I can get something fabricated outside of the car. This may still work and it would be even better than trying to use the Type R knuckles cost wise.

hey did you try to press out the Jag balljoing and flip it this my be all you need!!! or install the Lincoln balljoing on the jag!!

I dont have time to mess with it anymore I returned the knuckles and calipers.

What about the new mustangs, they share the same chassis at least I think.

Change the lower arm too????

I was on the thought pattern, but then there may be a few more ifs. The shock will have to be a different length so then I need the Jag shocks. And its not for certain the Jag lower control arm will fit right either.

I guess it can be done but I dont want to attempt it. I am not certain yet that I will be keeping this car much longer than this winter anyway. Once November hits Ill be putting on the Jag wheels on with my new winter tires and selling my 19's and then probably the whole car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back