Jaguar S-Type-R brake and wheel upgrade

275/40/18 is gonna be too big for the rear one, don't you think?

No, I run a 255/40/19 in the back now and the 275/40/18 is slightly smaller, so it should be just right to fill out the well a bit more and not have a gap.

No, I run a 255/40/19 in the back now and the 275/40/18 is slightly smaller, so it should be just right to fill out the well a bit more and not have a gap.

Thats going to look sick< i dont think you should have a problem with the rear i run a 275/30/20 with a 3" drop and i only rub when i hit really big bumps. Congrats cant wait to see the end product< also can you run those brakes without any modification for mounting and does it still reatain the same lug pattern.

Thats going to look sick< i dont think you should have a problem with the rear i run a 275/30/20 with a 3" drop and i only rub when i hit really big bumps. Congrats cant wait to see the end product< also can you run those brakes without any modification for mounting and does it still reatain the same lug pattern.

Thanks, its a project worth trying. The S-Type R caliper looks like a direct bolt in from some measurements I took and yes it will use the same lug pattern. I will have the calipers by tomorrow, so Ill play around this weekend to match them up and see if the brake lines will fit and all the other small tweaks that need to be made.

Thats gonna be awesome stopping power. congrats on such a good find. and remember i got first dibs on those 19's if u ever DO sell the LS lol, but keep it cuz urs looks toooo good.

Thanks bigpappy. I think Im going to abort on the rear brake job. I have all 4 calipers but from looking at a stock S-Type R they have 2 rear calipers. The main caliper and a emergency brake caliper. Since the LS has a electronic parking brake Im not gonna mess with the rears, seems too complicated. Unless there is some easy way to get around it. I dont really need the E-brake.

This project will start next weekend. I have 4 wheels and tires coming in this week along with LS centercaps to fit the wheels.

The brake seup will be here this Monday.

rearjagbrake.jpg

Doesn't the LS and the S-type have the same electric parking brake? I don't know how far you are from the guy you picked these up from but I'd get a really good look at the rear spindle and connections to see how Jag did it. Obviously the second caliper is because the brembos aren't designed to have an onboard parking brake and the rotor design precluded the normal Drum-in-Hat design. Not having dug into my LS's brake system I can't tell you how the rear parking brake system is activated. My probably incorrect assumption is that there was a solenoid pulling a cable into a latch positionand a second solenoid that released the latch. From what you have shown us, it might be some sort of servo that engages the pads in the caliper or the wheel cylinder in the Drum-in-Hat design that I think the stock system uses. Again this is all speculation and conjecture.

You know, the 07 S-type R has a different rear brake set up. I don't know from what year, but I drove an 07 and it had only the main caliper. But the 03 that I drove before had the same one pictured above. That looks hot though. Also, Jag uses electrical E-brake also, but I guess a little different one. If the rear doesn't work, maybe you can put the front ones only.

Ill have to see if any of this is even possible. A mechanic friend that works next to a Jag dealer asked a mechanic there if he thinks its possible to do what Im doing and he says that the Type R(from what he recalls) has different knuckles than a regular S-Type and this may not be possible. Ill have to confirm once my calipers come in on Monday.

not giving up yet, I went to a few Jag website and they list the Type-R and regular S-Type having the same knuckle which is the same as the LS knuckle.

Ray,

Just use the stock LS e-brake caliper with the Jag rear caliper. It will work.

Thanks Ken.

My concern now is the front. The Type-R seems to use a different knuckle than the regular S-Type. I will need to see the differences when I dry fit the front caliper. I may have to use a Type-R knuckle to make the front calipers work. I hope not. If I do that only adds another $380 to the brake project putting it at a whopping $680 j/k.

If I get this done for under $1000 its still well worth it.

I test fit the calipers and they will not fit the stock LS knuckle. I ordered both Type R knuckles for LH and RH today so once those come in Ill keep moving along, so far only $700 in parts.

The calipers are VERY nice. Look powerful!

Great, what about the rears?

Im not even going to attempt the rears until I get the front in first. Baby steps on this project, hehe.

Im sure I will have to get the Type R knuckles for the rear as well.

This should be an awesome upgrade. I always felt the LS was under braked.

Yes I agree he should lower it!! But aperantly he wants to get some coilover setup from KW from a S-Type-R but he needs more reserch on the fit from the Jag to the Lincoln. Here are some more pics.
Btw Fronts are 245/40/18 and the rears are 275/35/18 Bridgstone Potenza Re960as Pole Position's

IMGP1043.jpg

IMGP1046.jpg

I test fit the calipers and they will not fit the stock LS knuckle. I ordered both Type R knuckles for LH and RH today so once those come in Ill keep moving along, so far only $700 in parts.

The calipers are VERY nice. Look powerful!
How much of a difference was there in the knuckle fitment?

That's hot, I got the same wheels.

Yes I agree he should lower it!! But aperantly he wants to get some coilover setup from KW from a S-Type-R but he needs more reserch on the fit from the Jag to the Lincoln. Here are some more pics.
Btw Fronts are 245/40/18 and the rears are 275/35/18 Bridgstone Potenza Re960as Pole Position's

How much of a difference was there in the knuckle fitment?

The caliper bolts are more than an inch off. The bolt holes on the Type R caliper are much closer together. I wont be able to give more detail until the new knuckles come in. That should hopefully complete the package.

Members online

No members online now.
Back