Jag forums and a question or two

CTX-SLPR

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have to say that the Jag XJR is continuing to occupy my attention more than it ought to. Just because I love car and want to discuss them with people I wonder if there is a good US based webboard for those cars?

Secondly, how hard do you think it would be to make an XJR run high 12s in the quarter? since its listed as a 14.99s stock I wonder how much adding a modular pulley system to the Eaton blower, messing with the tuning of course, and adding a progressive methanol injection system to reduce knock and allow more boost and timing. Wonder how much that Getrag 6spd auto and 4.2L can take.

I think they only sell a few thousand XJRs a year, so there's probably not a lot of enthusiast support/forums for them.

A decent number pop up and the motor is best I know (which is a lot of assumptions) the same as the 4.2L Supercharged in the S-type R and the XKR. The huge attractor is the EPA rating on mileage. A car that sized and that powerful is only an estimated 2mpg worse at highway and city than the 3.0 LS I currently drive and only 1mpg different than the Regal GS I used to drive!

I too have fallen victim to the xjr's appeal...

I've been looking for a good forum for a while but have had no luck. I'm not sure how much you know about them, but i would be careful of getting one between 1998 and 2000. One word: "NIKASIL." http://ezinearticles.com/?Jaguar-XJR--Is-Your-Motor-A-Nikasil-Victim?&id=346603 The pre-98s had a supercharged v6, and the 98-00s are susceptible to the Nikasil problem, so a 2001+ is the best option. As far as 12s, here are the factory times for the v6 and v8:
1997 Jaguar XJR 6.8 15.1
1998 Jaguar XJR 5.2 13.7

Check out http://www.dragtimes.com/Jaguar--XJR-Drag-Racing.html

You can do bolt-ons and a pulley and get quite a bit of power

I love the Jag XJ also! BTW, the XJR previously had a supercharged inline six, not a V6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ#X308

There is a list of dedicated Jag forums at the bottom of that page. Not US forums, i know, but should still be some useful info there.

All of this now has me wondering if I should repair/upgrade/modify my 2003 LS V6 with the fancy brake pads, braided hoses, sport struts, springs, sway bars, heated and cooled seats, aftermarket speakers, new chrome bits, new B-pillars, and maybe an exhauste system and truely be only marginally faster/nicer than stock. When I could get one of these used with near the same mileage and put like $2500 into it and have a daily driver that might run 12's and get nearly the same mpg, especially if I defanged it for the street by putting a bigger pulley on it to reduce the boost and therefore the fuel consumption.

The XJR runs way faster than 15 seconds stock. Ive driven two, and they're comparable to a Merc E550 with the 7 speed, which hits 60 from 0 in five and a half seconds.

What would really help them most would be a LSD. The two I drove both had a tendency to burn one wheel when taking off from a standstill.

Don't they share the same rear diff setup as the other Ford RWD platforms?

I'm not really sure. I doubt it would use the same rear end as the LS if thats what you're thinking. But if it is a Ford diff it would probably be an 8.8, which would be good for upgrades.

Well the LS doesn't share the diff with anything other than the other DEW98 platforms does it? Since it was a Ford/Jag colaboration I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen from the Jag folks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back