J-Mod!!!

96_Lincoln_LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Who is near the NE Philadelphia PA Area who is experianced enough to tackle the J-Mod on my 96 LSC? anyone willing to offer up some expertise?

Anyway, What parts are truely required to complete this task? Upon looking into information on this procedure, I find everyone has a list of materials required but nothing is seems to be the same list . does someone who is familiar with the parts required have a list together with possible part numbers for cross reference hell anyone already have a VB that has been modified they want to sell?

Thanks
Bill

Who is near the NE Philadelphia PA Area who is experianced enough to tackle the J-Mod on my 96 LSC? anyone willing to offer up some expertise?

Anyway, What parts are truely required to complete this task? Upon looking into information on this procedure, I find everyone has a list of materials required but nothing is seems to be the same list . does someone who is familiar with the parts required have a list together with possible part numbers for cross reference hell anyone already have a VB that has been modified they want to sell?

Thanks
Bill

There is no modification of the valve body, you are only taking the valve body apart from the separator plate and drilling the holes required through that thin plate. You will need the bits specified and call Maxx and let him know that you need two gaskets for your transmission. He'll know just what to send you and if your 1-2 accumulator has not been replaced with the updated one, do that also or your venture under the transmission will not be over.

If you can use a cordless drill with a few small bits and remove the burr from the plate, when you drill, you can do the J-Mod. It is extremely simple to do.

I have been told there is a template that has been created for this exact process... Is there such a thing? or a pie in the sky.... Im mechanically inclined but just dont want to screw up the trans... I have make sure its 100% as its my DD..
Thanks
Bill

Get a separator plate kit from Blue Oval Chips - I did and I'm very happy with mine. NO drilling, just take out the separator plate and gaskets and replace!

Get a separator plate kit from Blue Oval Chips - I did and I'm very happy with mine. NO drilling, just take out the separator plate and gaskets and replace!

There you go, do what he is suggesting and you will be set. All you'll have to do is replace your gaskets and do that 1-2 accumulator if it hasn't been done. If you want a hard shift, leave the bottom spring out. If you just want to know more fluid is flowing through the trans and still having firm shifts, leave the bottom spring in or install the bottom spring if you do the 1-2 accumulator change, which is recommended.

All you need for that swap is a C-clamp and some retainer clip pliers. Get the retainer clip out and then release the tension on the C-clamp. Fluid will come out when the piston comes out but not a lot. Replace everything in reverse and remember, leaving out the bottom spring is what gives you the hard neck snapping 2nd gear.

Bill, I thought you were selling the 96?

That said, I was on TCOA the other night and they have the accumulator plates for sale. Allows for conversion back if you don't like the shifts. ;)
200, I think it was. :)

Hey Kevin,
Long time... I was going to but after a no show I just decided to bag the idea as I was on the fence about it anyway.. so I just sunk another 900.00 into it this weekend.. had to replace outer tie rod end again.. got new alignment tires balanced and rotated.. oil change.. the normal stuff... I just ordered new rear struts from Arrnot and front Bag/Struts from American Air.. Still have to put them on and replace front break caliper... Since I'm fixing the smaller stuff, figured I would give the Jmod a shot.. you familiar with it?
Bill

Hey Kevin,
Long time... I was going to but after a no show I just decided to bag the idea as I was on the fence about it anyway.. so I just sunk another 900.00 into it this weekend.. had to replace outer tie rod end again.. got new alignment tires balanced and rotated.. oil change.. the normal stuff... I just ordered new rear struts from Arrnot and front Bag/Struts from American Air.. Still have to put them on and replace front break caliper... Since I'm fixing the smaller stuff, figured I would give the Jmod a shot.. you familiar with it?
Bill

No, I haven't done any tranny work yet.

I'm waiting to pull the one out of my parts car, then I'll do a full rebuild (to the best of my ability) and switch it out with my 97.

I'm putting struts in this week sometime, bags went in the front of the 97. Couldn't afford the OEM, and didn't want to chance the arnott replacements even though Eddie said they were ok. So I'm going to be going with springs for a few years on the 97, until I can afford to go back to air.

Although there's a 98 around the corner from me with a broken blend door that they are selling cheap. I'm taking a look tomorrow night, and if the boy is ok with it, I'll trade the Mustang for it. :)

My friend and i did the JMOD last week on my 97. He owns a shop in tabernacle new jersey and im sure if you wanted to he would do it on yours, too.

I have some of the gaskets still.

You need both seperator plate gaskets, 1-2 & 2-3 accumulator, one spring if leaving all the others out, two if leaving out just the 2-3 spring and 12 qts or so of the mercon, drill bits and tools. My valvebody, trans and fluid was CHERRY so we didnt even drain the torque converter, i think mine only took like 9-10 qts.

If you want when it drys out you could ride in my 97 with the jmod drilled to the highest specs, heavy duty upper & lower 1-2 springs, no spring in the 2-3 and sniper tune to see how it shifts. I can pull the tune so you can feel it stock, only takes a minute. It will bark on the 1-2 shift sometimes depending how much throttle but its not HARSH like others have said from leaving the 1-2 out. Lemme know.

My friend and i did the JMOD last week on my 97. He owns a shop in tabernacle new jersey and im sure if you wanted to he would do it on yours, too.

You need both seperator plate gaskets, 1-2 & 2-3 accumulator, one spring if leaving all the others out, two if leaving out just the 2-3 spring and 12 qts or so of the mercon, drill bits and tools. My valvebody, trans and fluid was CHERRY so we didnt even drain the torque converter, i think mine only took like 9-10 qts.

If you want when it drys out you could ride in my 97 with the jmod drilled to the highest specs, heavy duty upper & lower 1-2 springs, no spring in the 2-3 and sniper tune to see how it shifts. I can pull the tune so you can feel it stock, only takes a minute. It will bark on the 1-2 shift sometimes depending how much throttle but its not HARSH like others have said from leaving the 1-2 out. Lemme know.

Lux,
Do you still have the driveshaft?
do you have the part numbers for the parts needed? how much did it cost you to get it done or was it a friendly job...
trying to get the majority of the little things done before i loose what little cash I just got back from the IRS... litterally just dumped 1000 into the car doing the things that bothered me on my daily commute.. needless to say the only thing that HAD to be done was the outer tie rod end..

Quite a few of us in this area.

Maybe we should look into having a wrench turning weekend?

Lord knows theres plenty on my car to work on. :)

You could always put a Baumann ReCal Pro kit in it. A little bit more involved than a J-mod but not much, everything is included, and the instructions are great too! (Just don't go too high a setting imho though) ;)

Lux,
Do you still have the driveshaft?
do you have the part numbers for the parts needed? how much did it cost you to get it done or was it a friendly job...
trying to get the majority of the little things done before i loose what little cash I just got back from the IRS... litterally just dumped 1000 into the car doing the things that bothered me on my daily commute.. needless to say the only thing that HAD to be done was the outer tie rod end..

I have 3 driveshafts right now. The stock two piece in my 97, a stock ONE piece out of a 93, and the third is a 4" Dynotech that is being built and should be here any day now.

The 93 shaft is for sale if your interested.

I gave my buddy 100 bucks to do the job. I helped, but i was in decent clothes and just wound up drinking a few beers and let him do most of it. He wanted less since but since we are good friends, he's been slow and has helped me out in the past with access to his tools, lifts, etc. i just threw him a bill.

I hear ya, i rebuilt my front suspension not that long ago (almost a grand) and just spent another $2000 between my gears, driveshaft, and the powder coater. I cant wait till it all comes together...its getting there but theres always so much more to do.. :cool:

Ok..
I have almost no problem tackleing any job on my car, Even Kevin can attest to it, we ripped that front end appart in record time and it actually came apart easily.. no presoak in PB Blast... I think the hardest part was putting the damn inner tierod ends on... Lol seemed to take forever...

BTW, Kevin, I Still have that breaker bar for you.. you did not take it when you rolled out...

I have no problem doing either J-Mod or Bauman Kit, just want to keep somewhat firm shifts as its a daily driver and dont want to snap my neck everytime I go around the corner, A chirp under WOT would be nice...

Kev,
Im also going to fiannly do the Front Frame connectors for Strut Rod... Had the lower control arm connectors done but failed epically when I didnt get the fronts done at the same time... teraring up the front suspension every time I run to work in Roxborough.. Damn city pot holes!

If there is a wrench weekend let me know I will offer up tools and assistance...
Thanks
Bill

I'm a little further from you, in Tinton Falls NJ, but I have done a bunch of J-mods and could do it for you. Send me a PM if you want to arrange something.

I'm a little further from you, in Tinton Falls NJ, but I have done a bunch of J-mods and could do it for you. Send me a PM if you want to arrange something.

+1.

I would love to see this done.

I have a two bay garage, unfortunately at the moment I have a parts car in one of the bays. Once I get that out (mid summer, I'm hoping) I can host a weekend or two.

Until then, I'd be happy to travel anywhere in the NJ/PA area to assist/work on/learn about repairs to these vehicles. :)

Ok..
I have almost no problem tackleing any job on my car, Even Kevin can attest to it, we ripped that front end appart in record time and it actually came apart easily.. no presoak in PB Blast... I think the hardest part was putting the damn inner tierod ends on... Lol seemed to take forever...

BTW, Kevin, I Still have that breaker bar for you.. you did not take it when you rolled out...

I have no problem doing either J-Mod or Bauman Kit, just want to keep somewhat firm shifts as its a daily driver and dont want to snap my neck everytime I go around the corner, A chirp under WOT would be nice...

Kev,
Im also going to fiannly do the Front Frame connectors for Strut Rod... Had the lower control arm connectors done but failed epically when I didnt get the fronts done at the same time... teraring up the front suspension every time I run to work in Roxborough.. Damn city pot holes!

If there is a wrench weekend let me know I will offer up tools and assistance...
Thanks
Bill

I was looking at these the other day, I think.

Over on TCOA? They have a lot of cheap, bolt on front end supports that look like they would be great at stiffening up the chassis.

After I get my struts on, I'm game for a weekend of work. :)

I was looking at these the other day, I think.

Over on TCOA? They have a lot of cheap, bolt on front end supports that look like they would be great at stiffening up the chassis.

After I get my struts on, I'm game for a weekend of work. :)

where were you looking at that had the braces, im interested

Im doing this soon enough so Ill be watching this thread. I really only posted so I could keep better track of this thread so I can find it later.

As you were

where were you looking at that had the braces, im interested

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/kenny-brown/

Those are the parts I saw. The engine cradle brace and the suspension brace.

They were on a different page, however, and specifically said they fit the Mark VIII. The cradle needs that support piece welded onto the frame, but the suspension brace is a bolt on.

I'll do some digging tonite. Prices seem less then I remembered (both braces were ~140 on the other page. But the member prices might be a lot less.

F6AZ7A098A Filter, mark viii 1996 - 1998
F2VY7C155A GASKET-TRANS CONTR V
F5AZ7D100A GASKET-TRANS VLV BOD
6L3Z7A194A PAN ASY - TRANSMISSI
F4AZ7F247A CVR & SE ASY-TRANS 1
F6AZ7A098A Transmission, Transmission components, Filter, Filter
F75Z7F284AA SPRING-TRANS 1-2 SHI
F7AZ7H292AB TRANS 2-3 ACUM PST
F7AZ7F251AA PISTON ASY-TRANS 1-2
911678 TorqFlo Super Cool Transmission Oil Cooler Plate/Fin Type Heavy Duty available at autozone for $59.99 comes with hardware.

All Ford parts found cheap on http://fordparts4less.com/ and http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214270

Total spent on parts about $183.00 including tranny cooler.

F6AZ7A098A Filter, mark viii 1996 - 1998
F2VY7C155A GASKET-TRANS CONTR V
F5AZ7D100A GASKET-TRANS VLV BOD
6L3Z7A194A PAN ASY - TRANSMISSI
F4AZ7F247A CVR & SE ASY-TRANS 1
F6AZ7A098A Transmission, Transmission components, Filter, Filter
F75Z7F284AA SPRING-TRANS 1-2 SHI
F7AZ7H292AB TRANS 2-3 ACUM PST
F7AZ7F251AA PISTON ASY-TRANS 1-2
911678 TorqFlo Super Cool Transmission Oil Cooler Plate/Fin Type Heavy Duty available at autozone for $59.99 comes with hardware.

All Ford parts found cheap on http://fordparts4less.com/ and http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214270

Total spent on parts about $183.00 including tranny cooler.

You are the Man!!! I appreciate this as I didnt have time to try and figure out the entire list of components to do this mod!

No problem I just did price comparison with the two sites and bought the cheaper parts from the two websites. There is a multiple part look up on there you can input all the parts numbers or just look them up one by one. Just make sure you dont input your VIN number or they will correct the tranny filter part number to a 93 to 96 and you dont want them to do that so leave the VIN blank.

Members online

No members online now.
Back