IT's Global Warming!

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
NOT!

Though under hood temps get warm pretty quickly when you leave you truck on high idle for 3 hours in the sun.

1111.jpg

Auxiliary Switches. Known as Upfitter Switches by FORD. They are designed to supply power to whatever the end user wires into them.

The Left one turns on the 3 Watt Wilson Amplifier and Cradlepoint MBR 1000 WAN router. The Amp is there to boost the cellular data card's signal. WiFi going down the road at 65 is fun. Especially when you have people hanging out around you on the highway trying to figure out where the hell the Encrypted WiFi Signal is coming from.

The 2nd one turns on flood lights.

Third one, as it says... more lights

Fourth one kicks up the idle to 1200RPM and holds it there. This is recommended when idling a diesel for more than a few (3-5) minutes, in order to prevent Wet Stacking, a condition that diesels suffer from when idling. It also helps with burning all of the injected fuel, so as to not let is seep down the cylinder walls and thin out the oil in the crankcase.

The + and - marked buttons are to the built in Brake Controller (Tow Command).

Fourth one kicks up the idle to 1200RPM and holds it there. This is recommended when idling a diesel for more than a few (3-5) minutes, in order to prevent Wet Stacking, a condition that diesels suffer from when idling. It also helps with burning all of the injected fuel, so as to not let is seep down the cylinder walls and thin out the oil in the crankcase.
High idle!!! Wow...I haven't heard that term used in AGES...and that is an excellently worded piece of advice.

I used to drive coach (Greyhound-sized bus) back in the mid-1980's and I was trained to use high idle when the coach was parked (not shut down for the night). It was also supposed to help with the a/c unit.

I haven't seen or heard of present-day buses using this feature anymore, have you, Frogman? Whenever I'm close enough to a parked idling bus, it sounds as if the engine is just barely idling. I wondered if there was a change in the way of thinking as to the proper "use" of high idle.

Excuse the hijack...just wanted to hear your thoughts, if any. Thanks!

:cool:

I don't know much about busses except that when I see one coming at me, I get the hell out of the way if I don't have a grenade launcher right handy.

Diesel technology has come a long way in 20 years, some of them are barely audible, and busses I would imagine, have a ton of noise insulation in the rear engine compartment area.

Members online

Back