issuse with etc safe mode

white ghost

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello ls gurus, I am new to the forum and having issues trying to get my new to me 2003 ls v8 and just turned 100k out of limp mode. Hopefully someone can help. My son took the car to the gym and it went into limp mode on his way home. I have no pedal response, been searching all over the web trying to figure it out and getting a migraine ...lmao. I hooked up the scanner and got 0171 and 0174 . I found one of the injector o-ring torn sucking air so I replaced it. I also replaced the tps and the maf sensor as many have said to do as I have read and still in safe mode and won't clear. the scanner said their was no issues with any misfire or the injector's all checked fine. I then checked the coils and found that the new valve cover that I put in a month ago was leaking oil into the spark plug wells, so I ordered a new gasket set and also new coils and spark plug and injector kit(waiting for them to come in ). I also noticed the spark plug gap was about .064 inches which I think is a big gap so I re-gaped them to .044 now it won't start.. any idea's should they be gaped that far?

It's very important that the plugs be gap'd to 1.0mm (0.040") if you don't want to fry the PCM (this might be what has happened already).
You can guess and throw parts at it, but there are several more to throw. It would be better to get Forscan (free) and a $20 adapter and read all the codes that your scanner is missing. This should give a better clue as to what is happening.

Sorry I haven't been able to get back sooner I've been waiting on part's and the forscan. So far I've replaced all the injectors do to (5) being cracked and all the coil's new intake gasket and valve cover gasket's. Today the forscan came in and my son hooked it up while I was at work and these are the code's he got

from the pcm
p1000
p2104
p2126
p2196
p2198

from obd11
p2104
p2196
any idea. I was thinking maybe the pedal do to rain leaking from sunroof which I fixed prior to this happening. In the morning I will take it out and inspect the connections .

...I was thinking maybe the pedal do to rain leaking from sunroof which I fixed prior to this happening. In the morning I will take it out and inspect the connections .

Maybe, most of the time it is due to RFI from marginal COPs. While it is common for that to cause throttle body codes, it is more rare to get a pedal code. Still, I think that the coils are a very good suspect. You need to replace all the spark plugs and the coils at the same time. I strongly advise Motorcraft for the coils and NGK for the plugs.

I just replaced all the coils and spark plugs as well as the injectors. There is no rough idle and scans show no faults with the Injectors, Plugs, or Coils. There are less codes appearing, including PO505 (IAC Circuit Fault), P1000 (OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete), and P2104 (Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle). After using the Forscan app, the pedal was recorded reacting to pressing down on it, but there was still no throttle response. From the codes thrown at me, a common suspect was the PCM and the APP. If I use the reset PCM module function, will only the learned data be effected? Would that be beneficial to dealing with the car's issues? Thanks in advance.

A reset won't hurt, it'll just clear codes and pending codes, and adaptation data. Unfortunately, it probably won't help, but I'd try it too. You may also try cleaning the throttle body (remove it and use throttle body safe cleaner), and verify that the throttle plate moves smoothly. There is no IAC, the P0505 code is complaining that the main throttle isn't working well enough for full idle speed control.
SIA does testing and repair of our PCMs.
Lincoln LS ECM / ECU Repair & Return - SIA Electronics

Hello Joe, I found that the auto parts store sold me the wrong NGK spark plugs ( bkr5e-11) the motorcraft oem # AGSP-32F were the correct ones for my car. I had to buy another set and of coarse they wouldn't refund me for they're screw up cause I used them. well after replacing all the coils ,injectors,fuel filter and plugs . It's still in limp mode. I have noticed the previous owner has red anti freeze in the coolant would that make a difference? that wouldn't make it go into limp mode would it? I bought the gold anti freeze anyway and after I get it out of safe mode I will drain and put in the gold.

No, coolant isn't a factor for the ETC.

Hi joe, While I have been chase gremlins I noticed the battery doesn't hold a charge for to long. If the battery is not up to snuff would that make the car go into lime mode. I have read that if water is getting in your trunk (which it is ) I found it leaking from the seals by the hinges which will be addressed. They say the abs module might make it go into limp mode because of corroded and dirty connections so to check them (which I will be doing later today). I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out

Yes, low system voltage can cause all sorts of weird problems.
Water in the trunk is not good for the REM or the SSP relays.
Yes, the ABS module or poor communication with it can cause one kind of ETC failsafe, but that one does not greatly reduce engine power or cause idle problems.

good evening joe, I have been searching the web for a throttle body and came across just the motor assemble will this work?
trying to keep the cost down as I have been putting so many part's into it need to keep some cash for gas... LOL...

Dorman Throttle Body Motor
dorman.gif

07985784-1178774.jpg

Click to Enlarge
(3 Reviews)
4.3 Stars
Our List Price: $44.32
Quantity:
ys.gif

Part Number: 18211-07985784
Brand: Dorman
Notes: Throttle Body Motor
Condition: New

Sorry, I don't know. I will say that I've had a few good experiences with Dorman, and a whole lot of bad ones. The other electronic part of the throttle body is the TPS.
Note also that the gas pedal sensor is not a part of the throttle body.

Might be better just to buy a complete new throttle body. If the actuator, (motor) took a crap... the whole throttle body is probably worn, (at the shaft).

I believe a new throttle body assembly includes the TPS too.

I haven't been able to work on the ls ,been working on my kid's vehicle cause there heading back to college. Okay so today was my first day for vacation kid's car will have to wait. I replaced the throttle body and still in limp mode . I noticed that if I put my foot on the pedal half way before I start the car I have a pedal. I can shift it in gear at about 2500 rpm's and can move the car but still in safe mode. I was thinking if the fluid is low in the transmission would that keep it in safe mode? Would that affect the pedal and make it go into safe mode? I'm at wits end and just throwing money out the window replacing part's with no results.

The transmission has nothing to do with ETC failsafe.
The symptoms suggest the gas pedal assembly. What does Forscan show for the pedal position sensors (there's more than one) as you move the gas pedal?

if I have to replace the pedal can I just replace the pedal and not the hole assemble I mean the adjustment part,
The transmission has nothing to do with ETC failsafe.
The symptoms suggest the gas pedal assembly. What does Forscan show for the pedal position sensors (there's more than one) as you move the gas pedal?
If so would you the part#

The motor that moves the pedals is part of the brake assembly.
The pedal assembly for the adjustable gas pedal is 3W4Z-9F836-A, and amazingly, it appears to still be available at about $112.

I would not throw more parts at this. Why not use Forscan and see if it is really the problem? And if Forscan does show that the pedal sensors are not acting correctly, also verify the wiring to the assembly before condemning it.

Ok so I purchased a new accelerator pedal and guess what still in safe mode.. should I just go and buy a news paper and some marshmallows?

Ok so I purchased a new accelerator pedal and guess what still in safe mode.. should I just go and buy a news paper and some marshmallows?

So what do the readings look like with Forscan? As I said, throwing parts at it is very expensive, why not diagnose first?

I know its been a while sence I posted but the car looks great sitting in my driveway for the winter...I bought the pedal and installed it and same the ect mode on. I just scaned and I only get these 2 codes p2104 p0121. My wife wants me to drop it off down the street to the garage and have them figure it out cause i'm stumped..I talked with the owner of the shop a week ago and he said I have the program the gas pedal and the new throttle body. The forescan and my other scanner can't do this ..Is it correct that they have to be programed to the car?

No, that is not correct. There is no programming for either. Maybe find a place with Jaguar S-type experience?

Hello I haven't posted sense march about my ls well it's been in the shop sense then and haven't been able to pick it up do to being busy with work and life. I've been swinging by every now and then to see if he's worked on it. Well he hasn't I mean are you for real he replaced a plug fitting for the circulater pump for the cooling system the first week he had it that's all ..well today I went and to picked it up all the tires were flat and battery stone dead. I filled the tire's and put in a charged battery and drove home maybe a mile or so and I had a pedal WTF !!!! are you for real I mean it's been sitting for month's with a dead battery and flat tire's. Could the dead battery have cleared the computer??? and putting a charged battery fixed the issue???

before I start to use this again would you recommend that I send out the ecm and replace the battery??

before I start to use this again would you recommend that I send out the ecm and replace the battery??
I doubt that your problem is specifically in the PCM, but it certainly is possible.
You can take the battery to a chain auto store, and they can test it to determine if it needs to be replaced.

I just can't see how I had no pedal when I dropped it off month's ago and he hadn't done anything to it but replace a connector to the circulater pump the week I dropped it off. And he stated that didn't fix the issue. So i put a newer battery in when I picked it up and bam I have a pedal...make no sence

Members online

No members online now.
Back