Is this a racist ad?

MonsterMark

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Wondering what you guys think.

It is for the new SONY 'white' PSP PlayStaion Portable

Seems the ads are for European release. They are appearing in Amsterdam on billboards. I'd like to see SONY try that here in the U.S.

sony_ad.gif

Thwe word Racist would be Screamed to high heaven, if that was done here in the States.

Definately a bit insensitive, especially if done in America where we have a history of 'white' on 'black' slavery, thought I am not certain because I can not see the correlation between the picture and a video game system. But Pepperman is right, if done here Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be screaming for consolidation money from Sony.

Let’s see…Taller white women with dominant expression grabbing shorter black women with submissive expression by the chin. It looks racist to me and I'm not the politically correct type. Then again, Sony is probably looking for controversy to sell their product. It happens—sex and controversy are advertising strategies. For example, make a controversial movie and everyone will rush to see it—perhaps Sony is thinking along the same lines. What's else could be the point? It certainly can be perceived as being racists.

I'm black and would have to see the whole ad. Other than that just different to me.

I don't know what's particularly "racist" about it. But since the world is so hypersensitive about race issues, it's sure to create controversy, everywhere.

And this needs to be quoted for truth:
if done here Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be screaming for consolidation money from Sony

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2006/07/05/sony_ad_casues_white_riot.html

new billboard advert for Sony's white PSP has caused consternation across the US videogaming community. The ad shows a white model dressed entirely in white threateningly grasping the face of a black model. Next to them are the words, "PlayStation Portable. White is coming". The ad can also be seen on the Dutch official PSP site.

Sites such as Kotaku, Joystiq and Digital Battle have questioned whether the ads are racist. So far the debate has split comments sections with some condeming Sony and equal numbers defending the ads as a harmless personfication of the handheld console's two available colours.

Clearly, whatever the justifications, the intention is to be provocative. According to Joystiq, the adverts have been created by TBWA an agency that speciliases in 'disruptive' marketing. From the company's website:

"Disruption is the art of asking better questions, challenging conventional wisdom and overturning assumptions and prejudices that get in the way of imagining new possibilities and visionary ideas.

It's questionable, however, whether the world is ready to explore themes of race and domination in the context of a videogame console ad. Although not as wilfully controversial as Benetton's infamous 'United Colours' campaign, many viewers will be unwilling or unable to decode the imagery until it becomes about two different colours of plastic.

Importantly perhaps, the ads are for the European release of the white PSP and are appearing on billboards in Amsterdam rather than in the US where racial tension remains a fraught issue.

people over there are just not as uptight as some people in this country, I don't think it's racist myself because I am not a racist. I treat all people the same no matter what color.

Reminds me of some of those old un-PC Benetton ads. Anyone remember those?

Wonder what the reaction would be if it were the other way around, with the black actor grasping the face of the white actor and the title, "Black is coming."

My first impression when seeing only the picture was "It's HOT girl-on-girl action!!!". But after hearing the tagline "White is coming", yeah, I could see how it could be perceived as racist. Certainly "racey".

I find the 'picture' very racist myself, with or without text.

Even the black 'model' is made to look kindof slavish based on the hair design. And the stature and size of the blonds reminds me of the great white race, something Hitler could be proud of.

I find the ad tasteless and created by an agency that has little talent if they have to stoop to this level to get attention. Sure the ad is garnering attention. Doesn't make it less tacky.

If I was stoned and getting laid by a big white hooker in Amsterdam, I might think it was cool.:shifty:

MonsterMark said:
Even the black 'model' is made to look kindof slavish based on the hair design. And the stature and size of the blonds reminds me of the great white race, something Hitler could be proud of.

Ohhh, kayyyyy, now that YOU mention it. :rolleyes:

Personally I think a better (non-racist) picture to go with the tagline "PlayStation Portable. White is coming" using the same two models would be a picture of them side by side at opposite ends of a couch with the black model kicked back and relaxed reading a magazine smoking a cigarette, while the white model has her head thrown back, eyes clamped shut, mouth agape, legs spread and her hand down her pants. :shifty:

MonsterMark said:
And exactly what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Well, when I first saw that picture, I saw two hot chicks, one agressive and one submissive. I did not see "black" and "white". Maybe that is because I'm color-blind and you aren't. Maybe that's because I don't view the world as "slavish" and "great white race"ish and you do.

Differen't strokes, man. That's all.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Well, when I first saw that picture, I saw two hot chicks, one agressive and one submissive. I did not see "black" and "white". Maybe that is because I'm color-blind and you aren't. Maybe that's because I don't view the world as "slavish" and "great white race"ish and you do.

Differen't strokes, man. That's all.

There you go calling Bryan a racist. What the he** is your problem anyway? :mad:

fossten said:
There you go calling Bryan a racist. What the he** is your problem anyway? :mad:

I didn't call him anything, it jumps out at you from the words he uses to describe his view of the world. But if the shoe fits................

And what the H E l_ l_ is "slavish" about her afro hair style anyway? That is perfectly natural hair for a woman with her complexion in case you don't realize it. :confused:

JohnnyBz00LS said:
I didn't call him anything, it jumps out at you from the words he uses to describe his view of the world. But if the shoe fits................

And what the H E l_ l_ is "slavish" about her afro hair style anyway? That is perfectly natural hair for a woman with her complexion in case you don't realize it. :confused:

How would you know, Mr. Ionlyseetwowomennotthecoloroftheirskin?

[Edited]

JohnnyBz00LS said:
The submissive (of African descent) woman vs the dominant (of european descent) woman. Read it any way you like.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
OK, Masta Johnny, but only if you say so. I don't know how many women of color you know but of the couple of dozen I know, none of them wear short-cropped afros, inspite of their 'complexion'.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
My first impression when seeing only the picture was "It's HOT girl-on-girl action!!!"
What a joke! I guess your new nickname could be Mr. Wackmaster.:p Hot girl on girl. OK, If YOU say so.

It is a racist ad. Plain and simple. And I'll tell you what. It plays very bad for Sony.

Thank GOD you are a man incapable of seeing color. What a great gift bestoyed upon you but what an incredible burden you must bear. I wish I could walk around in total oblivion like you do. I'm jealous.

MonsterMark said:
I wish I could walk around in total oblivion like you do. I'm jealous.

Yeah, Johnny has demonstrated his ability to walk around in total oblivion of the world in countless threads.

I've known Bryan for some time, and I'm pretty sure he's not racist. :) Before I made it to the bottom post though, I did say to myself when Bryan said "slavish" about the hair. I said" Wow, Bryan..that's kinda a racist comment in itself". And then I laughed my a$$ off. I'm not terribly PC. I have a Filipina friend whom I refer to as "my brown friend" and "the Import Queen". Of course, as Canadian we are a bit more laid back. We even had a festival here called "BlackFest". Not sure if that would fly in the US??

IMHO, I don't see it as being racist.

YOU make it racist, not Sony. Nothing in there is making one person do something for the other in a threating manner.

It just looks like that 2 chicks are about to kick some ass! :)

Now, HONESTLY, if the black person was an Arab and the white person a US soldier, would that EVEN be questioned? I think not on as large of a scale that this is. Hell, some may even root for it.

Just my .02...

I think some of you guys are forgetting the caption, "White is coming."

That part makes it more obvious.

Redwingvksm said:
Nothing in there is making one person do something for the other in a threating manner.

Go walk out on the street and try grabbing somebody by their face and see what the response is.

One is towering over the other. That same one is made to look larger than life compared to other. All are messages to indicate that the white version is superior to the black version.

RRocket said:
I've known Bryan for some time, and I'm pretty sure he's not racist.
Thanks Ron. You know me probably better than most and I can assure you that pointing out racism is not the same as being racist. Nor is being capable of reckonizing racism being racist.

One only needs to look at the targeted audience (hint: check geographical area) to understand how this might play to that targeted audience.

I guess I have done enough advertising over the years to pick up the subtle subliminal message they are sending. White kicks ass on black.

I guess I'll take the fall again for pointing out the obvious.

Members online

No members online now.
Back