IRS crossmember replacement

shawn_sloma

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to rebuild the front end of my mark and do a hub conversion. Looking under the car I noticed that the crossmember cradle for the irs is rusted. It's still solid but looks pretty bad compared to the rest of the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone had previously replaced on of these and how big of a project I would be getting into.

I figured if it would be too much of a hassle to clean it up as best I can and rust primer it and undercoat it to seal it. Not going to buy the SCP mounts for $400. Was just wondering if it was feasible, found a donor car with a mint cradle for $200, not sure if they would sell the mounts with it.

I bought an entire IRS sub-frame from a 1998 LSC off Craigslist for $100 and I'm in Florida so it didn't have a spot of rust on it (well, a little on axles, rotors and tag where I had it sitting outside for awhile). I used a HUGE impact and those bolts came right out without a problem (a 1/2" impact wouldn't budge them in my case).

RearSwap001.jpg

RearSwap002.jpg

They may have come out, but you stood the risk of spinning the backing nut in its holder.

Which leads to holesawing your trunk floor.

Mine on the other hand broke loose with a simple 1/2 breaker bar. I love rust free cars.

Members online

No members online now.
Back