Ipad install enjoy

Finally saw one of those yesterday at Best Buy. To me a waste of dam money and I'm a big electronic buff but that dam thing don't do nothing my phone can't do as far as getting on the internet, playing games, listening to music etc.

Looks like an iPod/iPhone/iTouch for the visually impaired. Just get a Jitter Bug instead. It's cheaper.

Looks like an iPod/iPhone/iTouch for the visually impaired. Just get a Jitter Bug instead. It's cheaper.

Yea, but it's a sweet install!! I wish I could find the correct color interior paint for my '06......

Are you guys okay? Who here owns an Iphone the features that the phone has combined what the screen size of the ipad its your own pc install in your car plus have you seen the Ipad jailbroken infinite possibilities hd gaming to wireless browsing at your finger tips..just my thought

a jitter bug hahah got two quartes for you instead thats cheaper

Seems like a pretty sweet idea to me! There's a lot of potential with that setup. I wonder how easy it is to take out when you have to update the software?

:lol: good one.

Real sweet install. Looks pretty cool and fits good in place. Looks like it could be stock one day. I will not pay that much for an ipad though. If someone gave me one to install maybe I would.

I think this has potential if you can figure out a way to make it easy to remove (while preventing theft) and/or rig some type of access to the USB connection under the dash that can plug into a laptop or something...

The iPad is comparable in price to the nice headunits that would normally go into a car, but the iPad is superior in GPS and also touch-screen response. Let alone the fact you have internet with the iPad at your fingertips.

There is talk about if you already have an iphone you can tether the internet connection to the ipad without paying the $30 a month for unlimited ipad net access on the 3g network. This means you would not have to worry about being connected to wifi in your car to access the internet - you could have it anywhere you get cell phone reception.

This has potential for sure.

that sounds sick I'm in lol but i wouldnt buy it just yet 1 it just came out 2 there will be soooo many recalls lol

that sounds sick I'm in lol but i wouldnt buy it just yet 1 it just came out 2 there will be soooo many recalls lol

yeah i would wait till the phone app comes with the ipad 2 gen

haha awesome, i havent seen an ipad yet in person. I dont even really need to its just a big iphone but you can multitask by moving screens and what not. I do know that my iphone with an otterbox is the best thing i have ever had in my life. It does a million things i could think of and then a million i wouldnt of ever imagined and with this case its damn near indestructible. As long as the glass doesnt hit something directly it wont break. This case is freaking serious. LOL

Mins all black...i dropped the thing in the sink once...fully submerged, dropped it on concrete from high up so many times i cant remember, work on cars with it in my pocket, drop it on the ground, landscape for a living...so it sees a beating and never once had a problem.

otterbox_defender_iphone.jpg

I'll give the guy props when they are due, because that is really is a sick install. Now here's the but. I recently lost the display on my multimedia Alpine unit and swapped it out for an Alpine iPod/iPhone deck for $199.99. I actually got the deck for $173.84 w/tax at Best Buy because it was last years model and the last one they had in stock. My iPhone cost me $99.99 because of a promotion with AT & T for upgrading my old phone and renewing my contract early. The cost of a new charging base for my iPhone at Best Buy was $37.72 w/tax. The idea to put the dock in front of the ashtray came from other forum members, and pektel's pics of his install. I can control my iPhone from the deck (music, and phone calls, not to mention navigation since I have the AT & T navigator that I paid for for a year instead of monthly) all at the push of a button and no changing of the volume. So here is the cost:

New Alpine iPod/iPhone deck: $173.84
iPhone: $99.99
iPhone Charging base: $37.72
Cables to make the connections: $0.00 Since they were included with the deck
Total: $311.55

VS

The cost of a new iPad that can't even make a phone call: $499.99 to $899.99

I think that my way is a little more cost effective.

I will not pay that much for an ipad though. If someone gave me one to install maybe I would.

I have an apple powerbook and I think it is a good computer considering the abuse I put it through.. The gf also has a iPhone.. I think apple products are great but like Isurf said, I would wait until the bugs were worked out to blow that much money on something like that..

It looks cool in that pic though..

TheArchaic1. I think you are missing the point. It isn't about cost. It is about having a huge instant-touch screen in yourdash that has web browsing capabilities and the ability to destroy any Headunit's navigation.

I have an iphone as well, and I pretty much use everything on it. And the only time I wuold buy an iPad is probably to do something like this guy. The iPad is cost comparable to many high-end headunits that do the same features, and less. In fact, the iPad is actually a better buy because it has superior GPS and web browsing, which a headunit of same value will not.

The only issue is getting it to be setup properly and accessibility etc. I think give it some more time and we will see more installs such as this one.

TheArchaic1. I think you are missing the point. It isn't about cost. It is about having a huge instant-touch screen in yourdash that has web browsing capabilities and the ability to destroy any Headunit's navigation.

I have an iphone as well, and I pretty much use everything on it. And the only time I wuold buy an iPad is probably to do something like this guy. The iPad is cost comparable to many high-end headunits that do the same features, and less. In fact, the iPad is actually a better buy because it has superior GPS and web browsing, which a headunit of same value will not.

The only issue is getting it to be setup properly and accessibility etc. I think give it some more time and we will see more installs such as this one.

The GPS may work better than any headunits on the market right, but the problem is that there is no WOW factor with the GPS. It looks the same as all the other GPS programs out on the market. I don't need a 10 inch screen to show me the same thing that I don't really want to look at. Plus the iPad does everything that the iPhone does just with a bigger screen and it CANNOT make phone calls. The cellular add on they are adding to the next release of the iPad is just so that you can use it without having to hook it up to WiFi to use it. Plus, I don't know about anyone else but being the multitasker thatI am, I don't think I could safely drive down the road and surf the internet at the same tme without killing myself or someone else.

The install is really cool, but the practicality of it just looks like someone trying to show off their new toy. People have been putting 10 inch screens hooked up to computers in their dashboards for a few years now, so this really is just a new way of doing something that alot of other people have already done.

You do know that the iPad and iPhone use Google maps for GPS right?

You can drive into a field 4 miles in away from roads and the GPS will show you exactly where you are - even with Satellite view of the terrain.

maps.google.com - with your GPS location no matter where you are? Now that is not ordinary GPS...Simply superior.

And I agree it isn't anything new putting a computer into a car, but this is something with potential, the response time on the apple product's touchscreens destroys traditional headunit touchscreens.

Too bad our LS has a small dash face :[

Plus I wouldn't attempt something like this until the pad has been out for a while.

You do know that the iPad and iPhone use Google maps for GPS right?

The iPhone doesn't use Google maps for the GPS. It has GPS but you need to actually pay for a GPS program to get turn by turn navigation. I have Google Earth on my iPhone and it doesn't give you directios but it will show a satellite view of my back yard. Cool, but doesn't work for me when I need to find an ATM machine at 6am in the morning either.

I have a 3GS and it uses a GPS marking overlaying google maps. I am not sure what kind of iphone you have, to have to pay extra for GPS.

I simply type what I need, it throws pins on the map. I pick one, and press 'directions' and it gives me a turn by turn navigation right to it. It just like using the internet site, maps.google.com.

I have a 3GS and it uses a GPS marking overlaying google maps. I am not sure what kind of iphone you have, to have to pay extra for GPS.

I simply type what I need, it throws pins on the map. I pick one, and press 'directions' and it gives me a turn by turn navigation right to it. It just like using the internet site, maps.google.com.

that's how I use it. The fact that it doesn't talk is a plus. Also the reason I searched for a double din without nav. Got the avh-p3100.

Most people seem to be missing the whole point of the install. Yes, it's ABSOLUTELY about him showing off his new toy. Don't be surprised if some version of this ends up as an option for backseat passengers in high end SUV's ITNF.

Members online

No members online now.
Back