Intrument Cluster LEDs

centason

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I know the bulb size, but would like to know from those who have done it already, what you have used, and how many to buy. My work schedule is horrendous at the moment, so getting the time to check is not good right now. I don't want to buy something that is going to blind me or cause me to get irritated while driving. Thanks in advance for the replies.

I want to switch to LEDs. Guage overlays are no problem, but just wanted to know how many LED bulbs to purchase and what type some have used that have done the swap already.

dunno how it would work in an LS, but my bro put LEDs in his SHO and it really didn't work out. hot spots and dim edges.

It's been done and looks good on a LS someone did blue.

Pretty sure a guy who modded his interior lights, said the OEM bulbs are LEDs already. It just has a green transparent paint on the pass-through cover.

Pretty sure a guy who modded his interior lights, said the OEM bulbs are LEDs already. It just has a green transparent paint on the pass-through cover.

Pretty sure they're not [LED].

The bulb number is 161. It's not LED. Nothing on this car is LED, lol. If there were a 2012 model, then I wouldn't doubt everything would be LED. Every luxury car is almost all LEDs.

The bulb number is 161. It's not LED. Nothing on this car is LED, lol. If there were a 2012 model, then I wouldn't doubt everything would be LED. Every luxury car is almost all LEDs.

Wrong.

The brake light is led and the gen II headlight has an amber led array next to the turn signal bulb.

Wrong.

The brake light is led and the gen II headlight has an amber led array next to the turn signal bulb.

+ The driver's door keypad
+ The backlighting of the steering wheel buttons
+ The backlighting of the window and lock buttons.

And also a lot of newer luxury cars actually dont use led's still.

Thats why doing an led conversion really does modernize our cars so much.

I know that a lot of the Euro luxury cars have been going to full LED and HID setups, I.E. Mercedes and Audi on their mid and high end models. They are getting a little ridiculous IMO with all the headlight LED and DTRL LEDs, not to mention all the ricers are following suit with their Honcedes LEDS :eyeroll:

I really just wanted to know how many LED bulbs I need to purchase for the intstument cluster so as not to purchase too many.

+ The driver's door keypad
+ The backlighting of the steering wheel buttons
+ The backlighting of the window and lock buttons.
I'm guessing that's the same for the Gen I too? Haven't popped those off yet to check. If so I'm changing that horrid green color.

There is a total of (20) bulbs and (1) LED(airbag warning) in the cluster. If you are only wanting to change out the back lighting than you only need to replace (7).

There is a total of (20) bulbs and (1) LED(airbag warning) in the cluster. If you are only wanting to change out the back lighting than you only need to replace (7).
That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks for your help mtggtmmtg. Anything you suggest?

With the way the cluster was designed for incandescent bulbs(diffusers to keep the straight on projection of the bulb from being brighter than the rest of the cluster) I don't think just replacing the (7) bulbs w/ LED's will give you an "even" color illumination. However, there is room between the gauges and housing that you could possibly use the LED's that are on strips to get the illumination the way you would want it. If you are looking to change the color, than you will have to remove the gauge needles to remove the green colored film on the back of the overlay.

Members online

No members online now.
Back