Introduction/Few problems

figs

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

new to the forums and also now proudly an owner of a Mark VIII. I had been drooling over them since I saw a mark vii in a movie and discovered the Mark VIII. I searched craigslist daily waiting for the right one to pop up. I missed out on two I really wanted. But came across a one owner 94 deep jewel on saddle with 69k on it at an estate sale. Scooped her up for 1650, she has been sitting for a while as the previous owner was very sick the last few years of his life. She needs a lil TLC but I got her back up to par mechanically. A few quirks I have been trying to figure out are...

Interior lights won't turn on (dome lights by sunroof button, door lights, back reading lamps).. checked the fuses and changed fuses even though they werent blown, changed the bulbs.. still nothing.

windshield wiper sprayer wont spray.. guessing its a leak or something I can hear the pump when I hit the button.

Lastly when i put on AC no cold air (i know it prolly just needs a recharge or w/e) but I dont think it blows out of any vents except the dash vent that points up at the windshield.

Any input would really be appreciated! thank you.

Welcome!

I have had the same problem, but kind of in reverse order. My interior lights won't go off. I put a fuse in and they stay on....forever.

Here's a link to what caused my problem blowing from defrost vent. I just fixed it last week.
The line was cracked and I was able to break it off and reconnect it.

http://m1191.photobucket.com/albumv...XbS+mf7/nmWUGLiXDoFRiQq/B5QpRXJ792nxjlhQHgF4=

Aso. I still have the same defrost problem and was just overlooking it for the moment. Thanks so much for the info!!!!!

Hey guys,

new to the forums and also now proudly an owner of a Mark VIII. I had been drooling over them since I saw a mark vii in a movie and discovered the Mark VIII. I searched craigslist daily waiting for the right one to pop up. I missed out on two I really wanted. But came across a one owner 94 deep jewel on saddle with 69k on it at an estate sale. Scooped her up for 1650, she has been sitting for a while as the previous owner was very sick the last few years of his life. She needs a lil TLC but I got her back up to par mechanically. A few quirks I have been trying to figure out are...

Interior lights won't turn on (dome lights by sunroof button, door lights, back reading lamps).. checked the fuses and changed fuses even though they werent blown, changed the bulbs.. still nothing.

windshield wiper sprayer wont spray.. guessing its a leak or something I can hear the pump when I hit the button.

Lastly when i put on AC no cold air (i know it prolly just needs a recharge or w/e) but I dont think it blows out of any vents except the dash vent that points up at the windshield.

Well, figs, I'm pretty sure your a/c problem is the blend door arm. That one is older than the air ride issues. I'm sure there's alot of folks on here with a good repair for that particular problem. Good luck and congrats on finally owning a car that will seriously continue to get under your skin. And like many of us, probably forever!!!! :) And I mean that in a VERY good way!

Welcome!

I have had the same problem, but kind of in reverse order. My interior lights won't go off. I put a fuse in and they stay on....forever.

Here's a link to what caused my problem blowing from defrost vent. I just fixed it last week.
The line was cracked and I was able to break it off and reconnect it.

http://m1191.photobucket.com/albumv...XbS+mf7/nmWUGLiXDoFRiQq/B5QpRXJ792nxjlhQHgF4=

where is that view from? popping the hood right? im a totally newbie when it comes to working on cars

almost forgot the last issue I have been having.. Doors lock if i use the key in the door but not if i use the security pad under door handle or if i hit the door lock button.. basically no power locking. Im leaning towards actuators?

Hey guys, make sure you give the guy the right info. I know you are all trying to help but watch out what you say.

Hot*Mk8, the blend door issue is a Gen 2 thing not a Gen 1 and he has a Gen 1 as in a 1994. Only through defrost is a line issue but I am pretty sure it is different for a Gen 2 and a Gen 1.

Figs, do a great deal of searching and you will find most if not all your answers. The search we all know sucks so use Google if it works better for you and it will most likely bring you back to LVC. Welcome to the best forum for Marks and have fun. Enjoy your ride.

Figs... Pictures of your car please.

I got the baby at the moment so I cant go outside and snap pictures but Ill post what Ive taken already...

23tq3l.jpg

heres one for now.. i gotta transfer the rest off my iPhone, only things wrong with the body are a few paint chips here and there and the clear coat is peeling on the roof and a lil bit on the trunk.. interior is in great condition just needs to be detailed and i broke the rear ashtrays by accident...

Hey guys, make sure you give the guy the right info. I know you are all trying to help but watch out what you say.

Hot*Mk8, the blend door issue is a Gen 2 thing not a Gen 1 and he has a Gen 1 as in a 1994. Only through defrost is a line issue but I am pretty sure it is different for a Gen 2 and a Gen 1.

Figs, do a great deal of searching and you will find most if not all your answers. The search we all know sucks so use Google if it works better for you and it will most likely bring you back to LVC. Welcome to the best forum for Marks and have fun. Enjoy your ride.

yeah i been using google and the search on here, I think im gonna just take her to the mechanic and get it done right i dont wanna butcher anything.. Im great with sound systems but not so much fixing random stuff like this.

Discharge on defog only, is a default issue. You have a loss of vacuum. There is a tee fitting at the drivers side of throttle body, that connects to a plastic line. The line runs along the back of the firewall and connects to the vacuum ball inside the passenger fender. Check the line and the fitting. Check for a blown fuse in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. There is usually a large 30 or 40 amp fuse which powers the interior fuse box.

Discharge on defog only, is a default issue. You have a loss of vacuum. There is a tee fitting at the drivers side of throttle body, that connects to a plastic line. The line runs along the back of the firewall and connects to the vacuum ball inside the passenger fender. Check the line and the fitting. Check for a blown fuse in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. There is usually a large 30 or 40 amp fuse which powers the interior fuse box.

All fuses are good ill check out the line later, thank you very much.

WOW! Talk about glossy! Very nice dude. You are officially in now! :D Sorry, we give ppl a hard time until they post pictures!

Its cool, she isnt perfect, definitely needs some TLC but I plan on fixing her up real nice. Ill be putting my JL audio speakers/amps/subwoofer in later on, tints, flowmasters, and after the winter ill fix her paint up.

very clean for sure! Welcome to the forum!

Lately there's been a slight incline in new members with recently bought Marks.

Oops :rolleyes: It'd help if I paid a little more attention to the year. Sorry.

Nice man! Good to have another green 1st gen here..I'd just reshoot the roof touch up the dings and polish the headlights.and of course figure out the little interior electrical gremlins..nice starting point though..not bad for $1600

Great looking car! Good score.
Air through the defroster is a vacuum leak. Check the hose that runs over the intake.
I would suspect the headlight switch for your light problem. There was an issue with the early Gen 1 switches.

Hey guys,

Yet another defroster problem....This is your Defrost problem!

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=83676&highlight=vent+stuck+on+defrost

Great to see another local Mark VIII on the forums.

checked out the lines the starting point seemed all dried out and cracked i broke it off cleared out the seal reconnected it. But still nothing.. I followed the line down to the 3 way connector and realized that one of the hoses wasnt hooked up.. The one that is pictured above was connected and the one that goes thru the firewall was but a third mystery one was not connected to anything. I disconnected the two good ones and connected them to one another and now im good.. No cold air tho so next step is to recharge the A/c

anyone have an idea of what the hell I bypassed? was the third wire/hose going behind the fender?

Members online

Back