Introduction and Mark VIII Manual Swap + Progress

That was a great build....Please start it again !! Great info.

Fantastic work!

Did you guys dial in the bellhousing to ensure it is concentric, before putting in the T56?

I ask as I did this a couple years back to another car, and even though it drove perfect, it smoked the pilot bearing in 5000 miles.
I took it to a shop and they said it was an old pilot bearing, replaced it and it went again within the same week.

Mine was a stock T56 and stock bellhousing and it was off 41 thousands.

Below is from a site that specializes in offset dowels to correct bellhousing alignment issues.

Bellhousing alignment is critical to ensure smooth shifting and maximum clutch life. The hole in the rear face of the bellhousing should be concentric with the crankshaft within .005" (.010 TIR).

Unfortunately, many aftermarket (and even some stock) bellhousings are not as concentric as they should be. This may be due to a problem with the bellhousing and/or the engine block.

Thank-you for the tip! We'll look into making sure it's aligned properly

Drove it up and down the driveway to test out the new transmission. Will get an SCT-tuner and tune it so the computer will stop thinking it's an automatic. The O/D light doesn't know what to do, haha!

Will post some pictures when I can get some good shots

Happy to help! I wish someone told me when I first put the T56 in. The dial will confirm it and it doesn't take long and can save you having to RE & RE the transmission to replace a pilot bearing or worse, if it is really out of alignment - it can damage the input shaft.

Drove it up and down the driveway to test out the new transmission. Will get an SCT-tuner and tune it so the computer will stop thinking it's an automatic. The O/D light doesn't know what to do, haha!

Will post some pictures when I can get some good shots
Pics coming soon? Be great to see the finished product!

Would love to see finished pics of this. I'm going to do the same thing in a towncar.

This is a sweet project and was really fun to follow along, thanks for sharing.

Yes, I've been wanting to try plasti-dip. We are thinking of painting the XR7 rims black and using those. We may plasti-dip the grill and tail-light trim black (or just paint them black). We may also plasti-dip the chrome trim black. We haven't thought about doing the whole car, but it would be fun to try if we have success with it.

Pasti a dip the Mark, that is like taking a mud bath to look good.

Members online

No members online now.
Back