Intermittent overheating issue- totally confused

To add... the pressure cap is inconsequential. However... the degas bottle that the cap screws onto... gets cracks in it... and it won't hold pressure (but will suck in air as the engine cools down.

So I spent the day so far bleeding , driving a few miles, bleeding, and such, and I'm 99% positive I got all of the air our of the system...ac blows hot when it gets hot , fan doesn't change speed.. so I'm guessing the hydraulic actuator is shot..looks like a pain to.get to .lol
It's not as bad as you think ...there is a YouTube video how to replace the actuator...pull out the actuator and clean it with MAF Cleaner and WD40

There's 2 u pull it salvage yards around me that each have a first gen LS... looks like I'm going on a parts adventure

Figure out what tools you need... and take a few extra... just in case.

Do a "dry run" with the tools on your car. That will help when you get to the yard.

There's 2 u pull it salvage yards around me that each have a first gen LS... looks like I'm going on a parts adventure
Actually IIRC you can pull the actuator from the top of the engine compartment with the V6 rather than the bottom like the V8

I also remember seeing a post that had a jeep guy that said he used an LS actuator and just wired it in ... do you think it's possible to wire a jeep actuator to the LS? Might be a future fix since they are so hard to find

I also remember seeing a post that had a jeep guy that said he used an LS actuator and just wired it in ... do you think it's possible to wire a jeep actuator to the LS? Might be a future fix since they are so hard to find
Just take your existing actuator out and clean it ...hook up 12V of electricity to it if you hear it click its working

I appreciate the input, but replacing ALL of the cooling system parts seems unreasonable. One should be able to diagnose the problem without just throwing parts at it (and I say that having already thrown about $1500 in parts and labor at it). I will say that it does appear that the fan is the problem. Why are replacement fans and parts so unavailable? I'm working with the mechanic now to find out EXACTLY what part needs to be replaced so I can reach out to the folks on this forum.

I know this is a forum for Lincoln lovers, but holy cow, I wish the car had NEVER come into my life. I've driven it maybe 3 hours since buying it 3-4 weeks ago. NOTHNG but regrets!

I appreciate the input, but replacing ALL of the cooling system parts seems unreasonable....
Well, it's not like a lot of us haven't learned this the hard way.
It's not that you can't find the faulty part, it's that they are all faulty. They (plastic cooling system parts) all do actually fail within days of each other.
But hey have it your way... (Yes, I'm sure that your fan is the main problem, but I don't want to hear about when you are broken down again a few days after fixing that fan.)

Is bleeding the engine several times a reliable technique for addressing overheating? We've had the pressure cap, thermostat, and water pump replaced and it's still overheating. No loss of coolant that I can see. Another question--is it possible that the system could pressure test fine but still have a leak that allows air to re-enter the system?

Short answer... yes.

I appreciate the input, but replacing ALL of the cooling system parts seems unreasonable. One should be able to diagnose the problem without just throwing parts at it (and I say that having already thrown about $1500 in parts and labor at it).

To echo Joe... through many heat and cool cycles... the plastic parts deteriorate and get small cracks. The o-rings on the plastic parts wear out too for the same reason.

The degas bottle (some call it the coolant overflow bottle) is known to develope cracks that WILL suck air back in as the system cools.

All of this has been repeated a couple hundred times on this forum. Replace all plastic parts at one time... and you can get 7 or so years without having to mess with the cooling system.

This doesn't include the dual climate control valve, water pump... and auxillary pump.

I'd say the previous owner didn't want to mess with the hassle of doing/paying for the work... and you came along.

Well fellas, turns out it was bad actuator.. so rather than replace it with a 200.00 used part I pulled the fan and converted it to an aftermarket electric. So far so good, I looped the hydraulic pump to itself for now so at least it's lubricated, but was wondering if anyone knows what size belt for the v6 I need to remove the pump.. really really appreciate all the help! You guys are awesome

Last edited:
Well, it's not like a lot of us haven't learned this the hard way.
It's not that you can't find the faulty part, it's that they are all faulty. They (plastic cooling system parts) all do actually fail within days of each other.
But hey have it your way... (Yes, I'm sure that your fan is the main problem, but I don't want to hear about when you are broken down again a few days after fixing that fan.)
You won't hear about it. We're getting rid of it. Either selling it for parts or junking it. It's a total POS.

Well fellas, turns out it was bad actuator.. so rather than replace it with a 200.00 used part I pulled the fan and converted it to an aftermarket electric. So far so good, I looped the hydraulic pump to itself for now so at least it's lubricated, but was wondering if anyone knows what size belt for the v6 I need to remove the pump.. really really appreciate all the help! You guys are awesome
Got to drive it a bunch in traffic and she's running great. Have the thermostat on the fan set perfectly. Thanks again for everyone's help... in the fan replacement.. just under 200 beans

You won't hear about it. We're getting rid of it. Either selling it for parts or junking it. It's a total POS.
It seems that you had unrealistic expectations for a car that you bought for well under 10% of its original 40 to 50K price.

Yup... should have done some research before buying... or come here first.

Lot's of threads on here about the cooling system. One is even a "sticky" at the top of the LS page.

Screenshot_20220824-085114.png

Yup... should have done some research before buying... or come here first.

Lot's of threads on here about the cooling system. One is even a "sticky" at the top of the LS page.
I agree it's a great car despite its quirks

It sounds like you have a clogged heater core and/or sticking thermostat, from the stop leak.

You should remove the thermostat, flush the radiator really well with a garden hose and then install a new thermostat and new coolant.

It sounds like you have a clogged heater core and/or sticking thermostat, from the stop leak.

You should remove the thermostat, flush the radiator really well with a garden hose and then install a new thermostat and new coolant.
Need to learn about this car. While I agree that stop leak is a very bad idea, those are classic symptoms of air lock in the cooling system due to microscopic leaks in the plastic cooling system parts.

Please listen to Joegr!
He has posted this so many times that even I know it to be true!
Replace ALL the plastic stuff in the cooling system. They are all wear items and they are all old now.

Members online

Back