Intermittent overheating issue- totally confused

DBillet75

LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 lincoln ls 6 cyl... I have had problems with my car overheating intermittently..replaced most of the cooling system parts, did proper bleed procedure, so I'm pretty sure it isn't air locked... it will start to overheat , but if I shut the car off and start it again the temp stays fine.. is there a fan relay or switch I'm missing that might be going bad? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated !

2000 lincoln ls 6 cyl... I have had problems with my car overheating intermittently..replaced most of the cooling system parts, did proper bleed procedure, so I'm pretty sure it isn't air locked... it will start to overheat , but if I shut the car off and start it again the temp stays fine.. is there a fan relay or switch I'm missing that might be going bad? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated !
What bleeding procedure did you use? What coolant parts didn't you replace?

I followed the bleed procedure on this forum with the bleeder on the crossover pipe and the one by the degas bottle .... replaced upper rad hose and crossover .. thermostat and housing.. t connector, degas bottle... pressure tested the system and everything seems ok on that end.. its just weird that I can shut the car off turn it right back on and it's fine which makes me think it's something else

I followed the bleed procedure on this forum with the bleeder on the crossover pipe and the one by the degas bottle .... replaced upper rad hose and crossover .. thermostat and housing.. t connector, degas bottle... pressure tested the system and everything seems ok on that end.. its just weird that I can shut the car off turn it right back on and it's fine which makes me think it's something else
I can't remember does the V6 have a DCCV DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL VALVE? Is your hydraulic fan speeding up coming on when you turn on the AC?

It does have dual climate control..but I don't believe the fan is speeding up when I turn on the ac

You still have air in the system... and need to bleed it some more.

The air will form in pockets in the block, or other parts of the cooling system and restrict flow.

When you shut the engine off... the air pockets "settle out"... "burping" (semi bleeding) itself.

And to be honest... I am not that familiar with the Gen 1 V6. The bleed proceedure may be slightly different than other versions of the LS.

IMG_20220729_095322375.jpg

Any ideas?
Yes 04' Sport is correct...first make sure you don't have air in the cooling system ...if you're sure you have all the air out then the next thing I want to know is your AC blowing cold?

It blows cold till the temp gets too high.. but I haven't had the chance to get back to it... this weekend I'll be back at it.. bleed system and see if I can get more air out of it. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for the replies gentlemen!

I had a similar issue with my 2001 V6. There is a little thing that controls the cooling fan and it wasnt speeding my fan up enough. Coolant was bubbling up in the reservoir and car would overheat. I cant recall what the thing is called and I will say it was very hard to get. A low mileage V6 at a boneyard may be worth a visit. If I can find a diagram or part call ut I will post it. Good luck.

I had a similar issue with my 2001 V6. There is a little thing that controls the cooling fan and it wasnt speeding my fan up enough. Coolant was bubbling up in the reservoir and car would overheat. I cant recall what the thing is called and I will say it was very hard to get. A low mileage V6 at a boneyard may be worth a visit. If I can find a diagram or part call ut I will post it. Good luck.
It's called the hydraulic actuator I think. This thread will tell you a bit about all the issues I had until milehighmikey jumped in with into about that actuator. The thing cost me over $200 but it did fix all my problems. mhm recommended against a boneyard actuator.

I can't remember does the V6 have a DCCV DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL VALVE? Is your hydraulic fan speeding up coming on when you turn on the AC?
I'm having overheating issues with my 2002 Lincoln LS 3.0L and reading threads here to troubleshoot. How do I know if the hydraulic fan is speeding up? I've found the fan difficult to troubleshoot because it's so difficult to see.

You still have air in the system... and need to bleed it some more.

The air will form in pockets in the block, or other parts of the cooling system and restrict flow.

When you shut the engine off... the air pockets "settle out"... "burping" (semi bleeding) itself.
Is bleeding the engine several times a reliable technique for addressing overheating? We've had the pressure cap, thermostat, and water pump replaced and it's still overheating. No loss of coolant that I can see. Another question--is it possible that the system could pressure test fine but still have a leak that allows air to re-enter the system?

Is bleeding the engine several times a reliable technique for addressing overheating? We've had the pressure cap, thermostat, and water pump replaced and it's still overheating. No loss of coolant that I can see. Another question--is it possible that the system could pressure test fine but still have a leak that allows air to re-enter the system?
I think so. Is the coolant boiling / bubbling in the degas bottle? That is what mine was doing until I replaced that actuator and then all was well.

I'm having overheating issues with my 2002 Lincoln LS 3.0L and reading threads here to troubleshoot. How do I know if the hydraulic fan is speeding up? I've found the fan difficult to troubleshoot because it's so difficult to see.
If the hydraulic fan speeds up when the AC is on you'll know it...its way louder and faster ...have someone watch the fan when you turn on your AC

So I spent the day so far bleeding , driving a few miles, bleeding, and such, and I'm 99% positive I got all of the air our of the system...ac blows hot when it gets hot , fan doesn't change speed.. so I'm guessing the hydraulic actuator is shot..looks like a pain to.get to .lol

We've had the pressure cap, thermostat, and water pump replaced and it's still overheating. No loss of coolant
There are a bunch of other (plastic) parts (that if bad) will cause overheating by allowing air to get into the cooling system.

It's been repeated probably 100 times on this forum.

Replace all cooling system parts at the same time... with OEM (factory) parts... and you will not have to worry about it again for roughly 7 years.

Now if the issue is the hydraulic fan is not working properly... that's a different story. The hydraulic actuator and/or pump may be bad.

That opens up a different can of worms.

Members online

No members online now.
Back