Intermittent HVAC blower fan problem

TheBigRedOne

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to fix my intermittent blower fan problem by tightening the female terminals on the plug. How do i get the terminals out of the plastic?
Do you stick the small screwdriver in from the wire side or the side that goes into the fan motor? It's really hard to get down under the dash for me to see how the terminals plug in. i read the tech article but it doesn't give much detail on how to actually remove the terminals.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Yep.

You can unplug the whole cable if you follow it to the blower motor resistor. I would also inspect the resistor as on mine the connecting point for that cable was nearly melted off.

You also can order the cable new from ford for like $12 - mine was severely corroded from the intermittent contact

Thanks, I found out the terminals in the blower motor are toast and I need a new fan and the wire that goes from the fan to the resistor. Any one got one they can sell me?

Did your fan cut out sometimes when going over bumps in the road? And would come back on if going over another bump or hitting the dash?
That's what mine in my 96 is doing and am wondering if it's a similar problem to yours.
Nevermind. I found the article you spoke about.
It sounds EXACTLY like my problem so I'm going to try that.

Sorry to interrupt.

Did your fan cut out sometimes when going over bumps in the road? And would come back on if going over another bump or hitting the dash?
That's what mine in my 96 is doing and am wondering if it's a similar problem to yours.
Nevermind. I found the article you spoke about.
It sounds EXACTLY like my problem so I'm going to try that.

Sorry to interrupt.
Yes and it was the connector that got burnt and if I reached under the dash and jiggled the wires it would work and then when I let go it would stop. You can get the harness from Ford with new connectors on both ends or you can get it with just the black connector on one end and bare wires on the other to splice together. F3LY18C629A is the part number for the complete harness.

Well, if my wires are shot I should be able to just make a new one myself shouldn't I?

I think he's talking about using insulated female spade connectors to plug onto the blower motor, and something similar on the other end. I've done it before and it worked fine.

That's exactly what I meant but no need to do it now.
I took mine out and the blower motor side was kind of loose other side wasn't.
I made the connectors tighter on both ends anyway and it is working perfect now.

Members online

Back