Interior door handle cable frayed

soduka

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The side the cable that goes into the actual interior handle frayed off and detached from the pivoting mechanism so there's no tension at all on the handle and it obviously doesn't open the door any longer. Has anyone ever fixed this? The whole handle looks to be permanently assembled so I don't know what I'm going to do here.

Would a Gen 2 handle assembly work? Do the rivet holes match up on the interior and is the cable the same length?

Inner handles are different, don't know about cable lengths.

You'll need to drill out the rivets, then use 1/4" rivets to put it back on

I and others have used 2nd gen chrome interior handles in 1st gens. It's been a while since i did it. I think you just have to redrill one hole slightly up from where it was. I'm pretty certain the cables are the same also.

I and others have used 2nd gen chrome interior handles in 1st gens. It's been a while since i did it. I think you just have to redrill one hole slightly up from where it was. I'm pretty certain the cables are the same also.

I only ask because there isn't a single drivers side door handle Gen 1 with the cable on ebay. Plenty of passenger side and plenty of Gen 2 drivers side door handles though.

I only ask because there isn't a single drivers side door handle Gen 1 with the cable on ebay. Plenty of passenger side and plenty of Gen 2 drivers side door handles though.

I have some gen II handles if you want to upgrade, I have some first gen ones as well but it's Minnesota and there is a snow drift blocking access till July.

Like said above, you will have to drill both out and bolt or rivet them back in.

I have some gen II handles if you want to upgrade, I have some first gen ones as well but it's Minnesota and there is a snow drift blocking access till July.

Like said above, you will have to drill both out and bolt or rivet them back in.

If they'll come with the cable all done up in there still and I can afford it I'll take them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back