intake questions

defflepp1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
so now ive got a couple questions about the intake. how will the car run if i take out the black box (silencer?) out from in front of the passenger side wheel? my brother has a Mercury Marauder and on his it looks like someone just took the air box off and put a cone filter on, can i do that with mine or would i have to do something with that wire that connects to the air box? i was also wondering if my air compressor would fit into his car? cause his is bad and from what the shop told me its the computer that messed up not the compressor.

i have read that that is like shooting yourself in the foot. you will be pulling hot air from the engine bay. and that wire is going to your mass air flow sensor. it tells your ecm how much air is going into the engine. VERRY IMPORTANT!!! but if you want you can tear the box apart and remove maf and mount a cone to it. but all you will get imho is a verry cool sound from the engine bay. but if you plumb a pipe down into the bumper that might be cool. the only problem is water. if that air filter gets wet down there. bye bye motor. there is a baffel made to trap any water that would get into it. but agian imho not worth it. to much risk.

i contempated this myself. but i decided to leave it be

You lose 1 horse for every 10 degree's warmer the air is going into the engine. If its 70 out and your taking in 200 air, you just lost 13 horse. Need a cold air box, or pipe it to the fender wall. But you will get alot more intake nosie with it off.

I have a Cobra conical setup (factory) and when it was 60 desgrees out I was taking in air that was 120 degrees - even with it *mostly* taking air from the intake opening and being blocked somewhat from the engine.

So, now that my back is better, I am swapping on the stock box again to get 100% fender air!

i have read that that is like shooting yourself in the foot. you will be pulling hot air from the engine bay. and that wire is going to your mass air flow sensor. it tells your ecm how much air is going into the engine. VERRY IMPORTANT!!! but if you want you can tear the box apart and remove maf and mount a cone to it. but all you will get imho is a verry cool sound from the engine bay. but if you plumb a pipe down into the bumper that might be cool. the only problem is water. if that air filter gets wet down there. bye bye motor. there is a baffel made to trap any water that would get into it. but agian imho not worth it. to much risk.

i contempated this myself. but i decided to leave it be

Not necessarily bye bye motor. Just bogging or not starting. It's kinda like if u hold a dry towel over your mouth and breath through it versus a wet one.... A little harder. Unless of course you drive your mark like a submarine.

hydro lock

if you hit a puddle and suck up water into the engine it will hydrolock on the compression stroke. and then something has to give and i promise you it wont be the water. a friend of mine did not listen to me with his crx he hit a cross stream of water on the road when it was raining. and about 2 miles later bye bye motor. but like i said they make a baffel to trap the water in. just would not risk it

remove the air box silencer leave the factory airbox. drill the front of the airbox for better airflow as long as you have the fender liner in you should be fine I have had 4 mark's and i removed it on all of them and it did lower my act. don not use a conical filter there is to much turbulence for the maf to get a accurate reading. the factory box it sufficient just put ak&n in it and be done with it. if it is a gen1 remove the silencer coming off the side of the intake tune and put a 2" plumbing cap over it Lowes 2.99 i have been in plenty of bad weather and have never hydro lock my any of my cars. cousre i also understand it is a car not a truck

if you hit a puddle and suck up water into the engine it will hydrolock on the compression stroke. and then something has to give and i promise you it wont be the water. a friend of mine did not listen to me with his crx he hit a cross stream of water on the road when it was raining. and about 2 miles later bye bye motor. but like i said they make a baffel to trap the water in. just would not risk it

so true, 99 sable, sister hit a huge puddle WHILE accelerating and boom hydro locked. i miss that car it was a mean mofo =[

Members online

No members online now.
Back