Intake Questions

1994MarkVIII

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
hi guys i just joined the forums and i have a couple of questions about the intake on my mark viii. i want to get rid of the intake resonator, can i just cut it off and cap it and be done with it or do i have to do more to the rest of the intake? also i am planning on getting rid of the intake box and going with a open cone filter. could i keep the stock MAF and get an adapter for it or should i get the LMS 80mm MAF? and also what size is the stock MAF?

also if you just use the cone filter get the ice box , so you are not sucking in the hot motor bay air

yeah id like to buy the intake tube but im kind of short on money so im just going to cut mine and seal it. is that all i have to do because im not going to get the cone filter, MAF and box for a while. i want to get rid of the resonator and keep the stock filter and box for now.

i replied but i guess it didnt go through. anyway, im short on money right now so im going to stay with the stock intake box and filter. i just want to know if i can delete the resonator and cap it off and if i have to do anything else?

+1000, keep the box, leave the cone alone please. Way better off!

unless you want your car to be slower...
mine never went faster than it did with the stock air box and paper filter.

Oh how I regret about 2000 passes where I drug a useless performance killing cone filter and aftermarket maf housing.

if you want it to run the best it can, stick with the stock air box and maf housing.

If you want it to slow down, and look like every ricer/grocery sacker in town, get a cone filter!

lol ok. ill keep the stock intake box and MAF but i think im still going to get rid of the resonator. thanks for the help everyone.

also where is the air silencer? i thought the air silencer was the resonator.

Again, the silencer is under the air box. You'll have to remove the passenger wheel, remove the liner and it goes from the bottom of the box and it is routed up to the under side of the headlight. Just take the damn hood and fender off lol. You'll get to all of it a lot easier. Unless you have help with the hood, don't take it off. Just jerk it. :)

Just hog out the front of the air box and run with no passenger headlight! Ramair FTW!

ok so i took the resonator off and capped it with a 1 1/2 plumbers cap. does this look correct?

Before:

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

After:

Picture011.jpg

Members online

Back