Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open?

turn_on68

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I scanned my engine and this what I got.
"Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open?" (Bank 1)
Anyone know where this is? I saw a switch on top of the intake manifold. It is round cylinder shaped. Is that it?

Pull off the intake and clean your runners. They're probably gunked-up with black crap like mine were...

You do not necessarily have to take them off to do this. You can simply try the product called SeaFoam. I do not remember HOW it is used, but the directions are on the can, and it is used to break up the gunk inside the intake. Most ppl that have used it have said that it did what it was supposed to. BUT, if it does not work, you will have to rip apart the intake and clean it yourself. :Beer

If yours is as gunked up as it sounds, here is how I would use the sea foam.Let the engine get warm.Pull off the vaccuum hose that goes to your brake booster while the engine is running and let the vaccuum suck up most of the bottle.When your almost out let it suck up enough that it chokes the engine enough that it stalls.
Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then start it back up.It will be difficult to start but it WILL start.Once its started rev itcontinually for a few minutes and then go drive it like you stole it.
You will be utterly amazed at how much whiteish grey smoke pours out of the exhaust, but thats a good thing.That is your carbon deposits burning off.

where do you get this sea foam stuff....also when i worked at jiffy lube....don't laugh you have to start somewhere......anyway,we had emmissions cleanig which was a slow drip cannister that fed through the vacuum line.....is that the same thing? let me know,i have no probs right now ,but at 160k would like to take precautions ya know!

Most NAPA stores carry it and Auto Zone just started carrying it.Its great.

unstoppable said:
If yours is as gunked up as it sounds, here is how I would use the sea foam.Let the engine get warm.Pull off the vaccuum hose that goes to your brake booster while the engine is running and let the vaccuum suck up most of the bottle.When your almost out let it suck up enough that it chokes the engine enough that it stalls.
Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then start it back up.It will be difficult to start but it WILL start.Once its started rev itcontinually for a few minutes and then go drive it like you stole it.
You will be utterly amazed at how much whiteish grey smoke pours out of the exhaust, but thats a good thing.That is your carbon deposits burning off.
Okay I did it this AM. First can near the end would not kill the engine. So I put another can in and it sucked it all in and still didn't die. So I turned it off and let it sit for 20 to 25 minutes and boy did it smoke out my street. Then I got to I-35 and drove at 75 MPH all the way to Austin which is about 45 miles. Mileage has come back up,25MPG, but it still a little rough ideling. Also put a can in the tank. How long before I have the check engine light checked to see if it has corrected itself? If it is the electric motor that opens and closes the butterfly, how do I find it. I looked but couldn't see anything. Is it down below the valve cover by the firewall? Do you have to pull the intake to change out this little motor? Do you have a part number or a picture of the engine on the internet where one could see this part?

Rinse and repeat. :D

Look in the attached gif for the IMRC(#12) - the controller is at the rear.

mini-uppergen2.gif

driller said:
Rinse and repeat. :D

Look in the attached gif for the IMRC(#12) - the controller is at the rear.
Driller does it stick out where one can just easily replace it,or do I have to pull the intake to get to it?
Also what is mean't by rinse and repeat? I understand repeat the process but not the rinse?

turn_on68 said:
Driller does it stick out where one can just easily replace it,or do I have to pull the intake to get to it?

You'll probably need to pull some items just to get to them - perhaps a Gen2 junky can help. Bryan(MonsterMark)?

turn_on68 said:
Also what is mean't by rinse and repeat? I understand repeat the process but not the rinse?

Just like on the shampoo bottle instructions - rinse and repeat. :waving:

Give it another treatment, drive the snot out of it(not just steady speed - lots of stop and go with heavy acceleration from a stop!) and see how much smoke you make. When you don't make any further smoke... it's as good as it's gonna get. I've personally seen some cars take 3 or more treatments to clean up.

Putting it in with the fuel is fine, but IMHO does not do the intake passages where it really counts. But you probably want to replace the fuel filter after you're done with the treatments.

Remember the secondaries open up above 3000 rpms - that's the ones that really need a good workout to get clean. :steering

driller said:
You'll probably need to pull some items just to get to them - perhaps a Gen2 junky can help. Bryan(MonsterMark)?

Just like on the shampoo bottle instructions - rinse and repeat. :waving:

Give it another treatment, drive the snot out of it(not just steady speed - lots of stop and go with heavy acceleration from a stop!) and see how much smoke you make. When you don't make any further smoke... it's as good as it's gonna get. I've personally seen some cars take 3 or more treatments to clean up.

Putting it in with the fuel is fine, but IMHO does not do the intake passages where it really counts. But you probably want to replace the fuel filter after you're done with the treatments.

Remember the secondaries open up above 3000 rpms - that's the ones that really need a good workout to get clean. :steering
I understand and I have a new fuel filter to put on this weekend if it doesn't rain. Dealer told me stopped up fuel filters is what cause most fuel pumps to fail.

Members online

No members online now.
Back