Intake Manifold help.

TThornhill

LVC Member
Reaction score
Good evening. I am in the middle of doing the cooling system, as well as manifold gaskets. Everything came off ok, almost to easy. When I got the manifold off I noticed one side was completely caked in rtv (see photos)
My questions are
1. Do you guys think this is hiding something, perhaps a leak that couldn't be fixed?
2. Is it worth it to crack it open and replace the upper gaskets or just leave it? (Don't really want to do this)
3. If I were to get these apart how would I clean off all the old rtv without ruining the plastic or aluminum?

Thank you in advance for the input.
-Tim

IMG_20170417_195318.jpg

IMG_20170417_195400.jpg

clean it all off and check it out closer. im not sure why there would be gasket sealer there unless there was some sort of a crack maybe done by yanking up on the opposite side while not knowing the other side still had a bolt in it. Clean it up and see what it looks like.

What would be the best way to clean it all off?

clean it all off and check it out closer. im not sure why there would be gasket sealer there unless there was some sort of a crack maybe done by yanking up on the opposite side while not knowing the other side still had a bolt in it. Clean it up and see what it looks like.

I'd say either leave it as it is, or take it apart and replace the gaskets or re-RTV them.
You may risk damage to the intake if you take them apart, depending on the RTV they used. After taking the screws out, I wouldn't pry too hard to try and get the metal sections off.

Joe,
Is there a solvent that I can use to aid in the removal of the rtv material?

Also, is the torque down sequence for that in the service manual?

I'd say either leave it as it is, or take it apart and replace the gaskets or re-RTV them.
You may risk damage to the intake if you take them apart, depending on the RTV they used. After taking the screws out, I wouldn't pry too hard to try and get the metal sections off.

I don't know what solvent to use, and we don't know what kind of RTV was used either. I think that either you can peel it off or you can't. Throttle body cleaner should be safe to get the dirt and grime off.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
Little late there... You're supposed to use the sequence for removal too, to avoid stress that might crack the manifold during removal.

Alright I will try and peel it off.

I am talking about the removal process for the torx screws holding the plastic part of the manifold to the metal.

Thx

I don't know what solvent to use, and we don't know what kind of RTV was used either. I think that either you can peel it off or you can't. Throttle body cleaner should be safe to get the dirt and grime off.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
Little late there... You're supposed to use the sequence for removal too, to avoid stress that might crack the manifold during removal.

...I am talking about the removal process for the torx screws holding the plastic part of the manifold to the metal...

I see. Sorry, but you are on your own here. The factory manual doesn't cover this because there was no repair of the intake manifold assembly, only complete replacement. You might be able to find something on a Jaguar site.

But wouldn't you have to remove these torx headed bolts to do the gasket change with these gaskets?

IMG_20170418_072425.jpg

Screenshot_20170417-064847.png

Yes, you would. I think that there is a misunderstanding here.
The gaskets should go between the plastic part of the intake and the metal part. you can't see them without removing those screws and separating the two metal parts from the plastic part.

What you are showing is the surface that mates with the heads on the engine. Those two surfaces take two thin metals gaskets, one for each side. These gaskets are 2W9Z-9439-AC.

Lol. Yes there is, I am definitely taking the blame for not conveying this correctly.

Ok thanks for that link. I honestly think the best course of action is to leave it and hope there is no leak there.

I will get it put back together after the rest of the parts arrive, and once running do the spray test to look for any leaks from there. If there is than I will have no choice but to crack it open.

Thx for all the help

OK from what I've heard that part your looking at is not supposed to be separated and there's not even a replacement gasket for it I'm not sure if that's still the case though so I think someone opened it up and could not find a replacement gasket so they used sealant I would leave it alone the only gasket u should replace there are the metal ones that clip on to the bottom of the intake where it meets with the head but if you decide to open it up its always best to use a plastic scraper

We were able to locate some replacement gaskets for the metal-to-plastic seam of the intake (the individual cylinder gaskets with blocks). However, they were $130 or so. So I just remove the old ones, and put a bead of RTV on both sides of the old gasket and sealed it back up. This stopped all of my intake leaks.

I have been trying to identify a high pitched whistle/whine at idle/cruising on my LS, and I am starting to wonder if it is one of those individual gaskets causing a slight leak. I cannot seem to manipulate the noise in any way by revving, pushing the brake, etc. It just kinda whines on and off while the car is idling. higher rpm I cannot hear it mainly thanks to the engine noise and exhaust.

Any had a noise like this before replacing? I have both the runner gaskets and 8 individuals on hand, just don't want to go in blind, so i am debating doing a smoke test or spray test to see if I can pinpoint the leak before a tear down.

I have probably spent 45 min in total digging around with my stetho (love that tool) and cannot pinpoint. That diagnosis attempt is what is leading me to believe its intake mani related (underneath and on the inside maybe).

Members online

No members online now.
Back