Intake manifold gaskets repair

Green Machine

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What would be a fair estimate for labor charges at a station, to replace intake gaskets on a 97 Mark VIII. Ballpark....thx

I think book labor is 4~5 hours, list price for parts is around 85 bucks (actual price is around 40), so I guess it depends on the 80~100 an hour labor charge.

I think 5 hours is alot, I spent an hour pulling an intake from a car in the junk yard, and it was up in the air only thing it was missing was the beauty cover, otherwise I had to remove TB, EGR, upper intake, fuel rails, etc.

Which gasket?
The center one is unobtainium.
Make sure they know what they are changing and why.

There are gaskets between the intake and the IRMCs, and then between the IRMC and the heads. I assume these are the ones, and not the upper (center) plenum gaskets.

I really don't know. a mechanic told me that my 97's intake manifold gaskets are leaking. ive checked all over for vacuum leaks and found none, I replaced the IAC valve yesterday, an 02 sensor a couple months ago. I still have a bad idle. starts right up, idle comes down and kills. after a while it warms up and it idles a little high. runs good while driving and on hiway, but at a stop sign, itll be ok for a min then get rough and kill. Im getting frustrated.

Do you have a loud sucking sound that indicates a vacuum leak and/or any codes?

I have a loud sucking sound (my 00 Grand Marquis is silent compared to my Mark VIII) and I get P0172 and P0174 codes. I feel I have an intake leak, I can't pin point it or cause it to stop or affect is with propane, but I can't really get to under the intake where the IRCM is.

No audible sucking sounds. gonna scan codes tomorrow again after I put on a new IAC, the CE light came back on.

Spray around the rt and lft side inward by the plenum amd manifold with starter fluid and listen for an increase in your rpm. If there is then likely its a worn intake gasket and replacing the will make it run evenly. I just finished doing my 96 . Take a picture of it brfore you start. It will take you near 6 hours or more . Keep track of the bolts as you remove, ford doesn't show locations with bolt sizes although THERES A WAY TO CHECK THE WORK. I HAD MY MANIFOLDS ,PLENUM GLASS BEADED FOR 80.00 AND GASKETS WERE 40-45 , NEW TPS 40.00 AND 96 IMRC WAS 3.00.

Last edited:
Hi, I found with 96 mark 8 if I remove the hood and the windshield wipers, plastic cowling , wiper motor, I can get a wrench easily on my IMRC parts.Allows me to look straight down at them

I posted a video of my intake leak, and got a quick reply about a brass threaded plug in the TB, and sure enough, mine was missing (well, it is wedged next to an injector), replaced it with another plug and all is well, I reset the CEL and will monitor it.

I was able to reach under the TB from behind and block the port with my finger and the leak stopped...before I pulled the TB.

I was getting P0171 and P0174 (disregard the MLPS errors, I have some wiring/connector stuff to work through, that and the TFT are reporting issues when it rains):
15313265489_8ffc793001_b.jpg

Members online

Back