intake leak and cant find it

smitty2919

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
just got done this past weekend doing the upper and lower intake gfaskets on my Gen 1 thinking those were leaking....not the case and PITA to do them i hated the car after doing it.

well when its sitting in park idling i can stap the throttle and you can hear a sucking noise somewhere from the back half of the intake(the back half toward the firewall) i know there are all sorts of vaccum lines and egr valve and pcv valve(especially after this weekend hooking them all up. i can spray carb cleaner around the back and no change in idle. yes everything is tight and hooked up right.

in constant throttle driving up till 2nd gear you can hear this sucking windows down. she idles fine, acceleration is fine, no hesitation or anything, decent power. if i get on it about 4/3 throttle and let off form a stop the CEL will come on then go out i get back on gas easy.

my guess is that its throwing the air/fuel off when hard take offs and too much air coming in. i read on here maybe the EGR flex hose, or IAC gasket rips.

i just ordered a new TB gasket and plan to put that in also a PCV "T" when i can find one. all my vac lines seem in good shape.

thanks for any replies fellas

what about the gasket that is in between the throttle body and the intake tube? is could be folded over seeing how thin it is

i actually just ordered one tonight from autozone lol

im throwing little things here and there at it before doing anything major

You check these?

OriginalIntake.jpg

+1 94m5!

that rubber T is a common leaking area on the first gens.

and sometimes it wont leak at idle...
I had a helluva time tracking down that leak on my first gen.

That little thing is $16 at the Ford dealer.

If you can afford to wait for shipping I suggest you get it from Rockauto; it's only $2.98 there.

+1 94m5!

that rubber T is a common leaking area on the first gens.

and sometimes it wont leak at idle...
I had a helluva time tracking down that leak on my first gen.

Yep. Me too. I ended up using a plastic "T" from Advance auto and some rubber vacuum lines to fix it. Haven't had any problems with it in several years. The old one on my car was actually melted.

The old one on my car was actually melted..

Mine was too..

I did the same as you...
It's an odd little T with female ends, so to make a male ended T work you had to use 3 sections of hose as couplers.

Worked fine for me too.

now this may sound stupid, but i got a TB gasket and im assuming all you do is disconnect the throttle cables then take out the 4 bolts as well as take some plug off the back of it?

awesome thanks alot.

im hoping between the TB gasket and PCV "T" ill have fixed it, if not then the search continues.

ill update as of tonight/tomorrow on TB gasket

what about the gasket that is in between the throttle body and the intake tube? is could be folded over seeing how thin it is

do you have a picture of this gasket.

i just changed out my plugs and wires and when i put everything back together i found that i have a vaccume leak of some kind as well. not sure if its intake or one of the lines.

well guys put the new TB gasket in as well as another PCV "T" and still no luck...

what else is a common culprit? it seems to be a decent size leak if i can hear it in the car when driving and windows down.

anything else carry significant vaccum? EGR has new gasket, IAC has not been touched, lines to both IMRC's are fine, line from firewall running behind intake tube going to the PCV "T" is fine as well as PCV tube itself.

im running out of ideas

All I can say is when you replaced the intake manifold gaskets you should have put on a new IAC valve...

well i know its not coming from there, i have narrowed it down to the sound coming from where that metal T is in the middle that feeds the HVAC and the brake booster, checked that all out and its fine.....

BUTTTT, how were these intakes made? when i had it out i notices some sort of circular metal plugs almost on the very bottomside of the intake. if memory seves me right, i remember seeing some blackness coming from it(what i may now know as a leak of black carbon crap) i dindt give it any thought as i was strapped for time to get the gasket swap done.

soo if these are in fact "glued" in the bottom of the intkes then that may be my prob, maybe the sound is coming up the sides of the intake and thats were i can hear it.

input on this would be greatly appreciated

edit:
found this pic...Post #8 By Driller you can see those plugs i was talking about laying in the background

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=53620&highlight=gen+1+intake

well thats where i was going with that lol

but now i have to go get another set of lower gaskets when i just did this crap last weekend lol

im not taking it all the way back out again, im just going to remove enough stuff to leave it in place and lift it up to get my hand under there to do it. i REFUSE to take the EGR back off after last weekend of not putting the bolts in straight and double threading the damn aluminum to take it back out, tap it, then try again for 45 min to get those damn bolts in all the while trying to keep the gasket in between lol

well update was out till 1030 last night in the rain under a canopy doing this in my bark yard and GUESS WHAT??!!

STILL nothing, this damn leak may have got the best of me. i put enough jb weld and high temp gasket sealer on those plugs that would have lessend the leak but it's as big and bad as before.

has anyone heard of the intake cracking? im sure anything is possible but that is what i may be leanig toward at this point...

Members online

Back