Inside Tire Wear-Eibach Pro Lowering Springs

lseguy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It's been about a year and a half since I had my Eibach Pro Kit springs (along with new OEM Sport shocks and struts) installed at my local Ford dealer. They also did a 4 wheel alignment without any apparent issue. I have 18 inch wheels/tires. No rubbing issues at all. I rotate front to back every 5k miles. I currently have 25k miles on the tires. The tread in the center and outer portions of the tires are fine, and look as if I could easily get another 20k out of them. But the inside tread (about 1 inch inward from the inner edge) on all of the tires is severely worn. Almost ALL of the tread in that 1 inch is GONE on all 4 of the tires. Is this an alignment problem, or expected with the Eibach Pro kit?

expected. you are probably running at least a degree more negative camber and the result is that you will wear the inner tread out much faster.

I have a 1.75" drop and had the same issue with tires. I run 25-28PSI in the rear and now my tires do not wear as fast. Lower air pressure will help sit the tire flatter on the road.

expected. you are probably running at least a degree more negative camber and the result is that you will wear the inner tread out much faster.

Is there not a camber kit available for these issues?

Mark

none for the rears (where the camber is the worst) and Eibach does make one for the frint - however - most people I know that have tried it took it off still it did not fit very well.

I have that same problem... tires last me 1 year going 20k miles on them or so

What offset are your aftermarket wheels. I wore out the outer edge of my front tires in a year. When I got new tires, I had it aligned and found that it was within spec. No drop, no altered suspension at all. The only thing I can figure is my wheels being offset being 42 when stock is 60. It is the only thing changed.

I have OEM 17" wheels w 245-45-17 but im going to chance the size to 255-45-17

I would look at the toe readings on the car. The factory Marauder toe setting is for around -.12 or greater and the result is that the inside edge of the fronts wear like the OP has observed. The fix, on the Marauder, with no ill effects in handling, is to go to zero toe on the front end. All inside edge wear issues go away at that point. On the Marauder, the restriction is that the front and rear tires are not the same size, so there is no rotating of the tires front to rear, which makes this issue particularly bad. I have been running with the Eibach Pro springs for 17 months with no such issue. I agree on the negative camber being not all that healthy on inside edge wear, but I am not sure it is totally responsible for the severe wear. I would expect to see worn out inside edge wear at around the time the wear bars are showing across the rest of the tire, not this soon.

Camber don't do that in this way. Its Toe.

I had a bit of camber out on one side. It wasn't to far out of spec it was within the margin and after a year it barely wore the tire more than the other. I really would look into toe.

Over inflating might be doing it also.

Wow. Quick and informative responses. Thanks guys. I *think* my offset on the wheels (dont have the paperwork or the car in front of me) is between 42-45mm. Got them from TireRack, so I'm certain the offset is within spec. Nothing too crazy. I have been consistently running the pressures at 30-31psi all around, so I will take the suggestion to drop it down to about 28. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.
Back