Info on LS?

SSTUD

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all i am new to the forum i am looking at a 2002 LS V8 with around 80k miles on it. iI was just woundering what some common problems were on these cars? I read posts about electronics being bad? Anything else i should worry about? I have also read about the trannys going bad around 50k or so. :eek2: I realize it has 252 hp do you think its over rated or under rated? thanks guys

It all depends how you drive, I drive pretty fast and the halfshafts went bad at like 45k miles or less, but that was under warranty. The ls definately has enough power, its a good highway car.

I cant comment on a 2002. I have had my 2004 v8 for 5 months without a single problem. Every once in awhile the tranny acts like it has trouble selecting what gear to be in. Not uncommon with 5 speed automatics. Downshifts can be a little slow also. In 2004 they put out 280 hp and it feels as if you are getting every last pony. Im comparing to my old Lincoln Mark VIII which had 275 hp. Both dont feel as fast as my 1989 GT convertible Mustang which only had 225. Could be the fact that the mustang was a 5spd manual and I drove it like a madman half the time:) Anyway to make a long post longer I think I would look for a 2003 and up. Lincoln made alot of changes and improvements in 2003. A few more in 2004.

02 was a pretty good year for the car but themileage is kind of high at 80K. What are you paying for it?

you should check out the nhtsa website and look up the recalls and tsbs on the car as they will very good indicators as to what you could expect or what might has happened to the car already.

you can also call ford cust serice to see if any recall work has been done and you should definitely carfax the vin.

Dartastic said:
I cant comment on a 2002. I have had my 2004 v8 for 5 months without a single problem. Every once in awhile the tranny acts like it has trouble selecting what gear to be in. Not uncommon with 5 speed automatics. Downshifts can be a little slow also. In 2004 they put out 280 hp and it feels as if you are getting every last pony. Im comparing to my old Lincoln Mark VIII which had 275 hp. Both dont feel as fast as my 1989 GT convertible Mustang which only had 225. Could be the fact that the mustang was a 5spd manual and I drove it like a madman half the time:) Anyway to make a long post longer I think I would look for a 2003 and up. Lincoln made alot of changes and improvements in 2003. A few more in 2004.

Your Mustang had 300 ft. lbs. of torque. That is why it accelerated better!

Hello, and thank you all for the replys. :Beer Did the LS in 02 have the 5spd auto that could be put in manual mode? Or is that only an 05 and newer option? I havent been able to find too much info on the LS. The 02 LS V8 for sale that has the 80k on it is around 16k. So trannys are a weak point on these cars? I would like an 03 but havent been able to find any in my price range.

SSTUD said:
Hello, and thank you all for the replys. :Beer Did the LS in 02 have the 5spd auto that could be put in manual mode? Or is that only an 05 and newer option? I havent been able to find too much info on the LS. The 02 LS V8 for sale that has the 80k on it is around 16k. So trannys are a weak point on these cars? I would like an 03 but havent been able to find any in my price range.

The 2002 LS V8 Sport model did have the select shift transmission. The tranny is not what I would call weak--it may have quirks but it has been rather reliable. I have a 2002 LS V8 that has been dependable with no problem except that a control module for the seat memory was replaced under warranty.

thanks for the reply, also how would you rate the audio system? I guess it only has 4 speakers? I mean my 98 Camaro SS has 4 speakers but it also has 2 6.5" subs factory as well. Just currious if i am going to have to do a total upgrade of the audio system if i purchase one.

SSTUD said:
I have a 2000, and my tranny is rock-solid. Drive the car before buying it, and if it seems to shift okay you should be fine. I think the problems are more related to flaky shifting than to actual fallapart.

You can shift any LS manually. Mine doesn't have the manual mode, but it has a gated shifter that lets you chose D5 (normal drive) D4 (drive but without overdrive) 3, 2, 1. You can force the car to start in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, and shift it manually all you want.

I think the 252 HP rating is about right. I've taken mine to the track and run a 15.4 with a 2.2 60' time. This suggests the HP is right and that it does 0-60 in under 7 seconds.

Where are you? I'm looking to sell my LS with 66k miles on it.

SSTUD said:
thanks for the reply, also how would you rate the audio system? I guess it only has 4 speakers? I mean my 98 Camaro SS has 4 speakers but it also has 2 6.5" subs factory as well. Just currious if i am going to have to do a total upgrade of the audio system if i purchase one.

I believe the 2002 V8 Sport has the Audophile system with 12 speakers including subwoofer. The system sounds very good to me.

ok thanks, i have been trying to research the car and on autotrader they listed it as having only 4 speakers which i thought was pretty sad. Also how well do these cars handle in the snow? I realize that they have a 50/50 weight ratio but i was just woundering how well the traction control works and if you all have had any problems in the snow. Thank you all for the replys.

Also, how do you tell what the sport option is? Were all LS V8's sport options? Sorry for the newb questions but i am just having a hard time finding out what options there were. All i know of is LS V6 and LS V8

the sports come with no chrome on the bumpers, no wood wheel or knob. sport suspension, and im not sure what else. do a search for sport vs premium, i think theres a couple out there

SSTUD said:
is the sport the better model to have?

The Sport Model is the best model. It has just about everything on it. Unlike the less expensive Premium model the Sport model has 17" aluminum wheels standard and sport suspension. It has leather wrapped steering wheel and leather shift knob.

I do not know about snow handling because I live in Georgia but if it has the Advanctrac option it would probably handle well in the snow.

02lsv8sport said:
The Sport Model is the best model. It has just about everything on it. Unlike the less expensive Premium model the Sport model has 17" aluminum wheels standard and sport suspension. It has leather wrapped steering wheel and leather shift knob.

I do not know about snow handling because I live in Georgia but if it has the Advanctrac option it would probably handle well in the snow.

I thought all LS V8's had traction control? Also can you please tell me what the options are on a sport vs premium? Other then steering wheel and shifter and wheels and suspension and deleted chrome its the same car right?

SSTUD said:
I thought all LS V8's had traction control? Also can you please tell me what the options are on a sport vs premium? Other then steering wheel and shifter and wheels and suspension and deleted chrome its the same car right?

All LS V8s do have traction control but Advanctrac is an option. Where traction control only controls wheel spin, Advanctrac goes further to help you regain control of a vehicle that is about to lose control. It can apply brakes and control engine speed to help you regain control.

As far as sport vs premium as far as I know the only differences in the two is what I mentioned earlier and the differences Itsnotmydaddys posted.

the sport came with the SST option (Select Shift) and transmission cooler.

you can get a premium with the 'sport' option - trannie cooler, upgraded suspension - but it did not come with the SST (you can add this later). the premium also had unique two-tone interior, upgrade seats and floor/trunk mats. The premium could have the audiophile stereo as an option - the sport could not.

I drive the loaded premium - with the 'sport' option. all the benefits of the sport (added the SST later for $260) and all the bells and whistles of the premium (I did get seat temperature controls or the block heater....)

Quik LS said:
the sport came with the SST option (Select Shift) and transmission cooler.

you can get a premium with the 'sport' option - trannie cooler, upgraded suspension - but it did not come with the SST (you can add this later). the premium also had unique two-tone interior, upgrade seats and floor/trunk mats. The premium could have the audiophile stereo as an option - the sport could not.

I drive the loaded premium - with the 'sport' option. all the benefits of the sport (added the SST later for $260) and all the bells and whistles of the premium (I did get seat temperature controls or the block heater....)

Wait...Mines a sport...it's got two tone interior/audiophile/SST...what gives?

maybe it changed in 02?

here's from my 01 ordering guide:

AUDIO SYSTEM OFFERINGS
Sport Package:
· Alpine Sport Audio System, AM/FM/6-disc changer (single loading) 120-watts, 6-speakers (standard on Sport Package; no other audio options available)

Non-Sport Package:
· Premium Sound System, AM/FM/cassette 80-watts, 4-speakers (standard)
· Alpine Audiophile System, 175-watts, 12-speakers, 85-watt subwoofer

INTERIOR COLORS
· Light Graphite
· Medium Parchment
· Truffle
· Deep Charcoal
· Light/Medium Parchment tu-tone interior –
Premium Package (65L Premium Package) only
· Light Graphite/Deep Charcoal tu-tone interior –
Premium Package (65L Premium Package) only

I think that's it. There's just too much on that thing that's sport for it to be a modded premium. Cool...more info!

Just look at my garage...

FreeFaller said:
Wait...Mines a sport...it's got two tone interior/audiophile/SST...what gives?

My 2002 Sport has two tone interior/audophile/SST also and every other frill I can think of.

Members online

No members online now.
Back