Info for all Getrag (manual) riders.

I also have the clunk at shifting time (when shifting fast, not noticeable with leisurely shifting) and when putting in gear from neutral.
I traced it to something in the driveline, post clutch/flywheel. I didn't think to watch the diff output shafts- as someone notes earlier in this thread. but certainly my driveshaft was moving considerably and the sound of it free-spinning then stopping suddenly was certainly aligned with the noise.

Easy way to watch; have a friend get in the car with it running. Get under the car (follow standard safety procedure stuffs). have the friend go from reverse to a forward gear- without ever actually putting the clutch in or car ingear-- just enough to put pressure on the syncros...

This will make the driveline change directions and clunk (for me at least) every time. Then trace where the slop is.

I was thinking of the route of limited slip too, thinking the diff had to be set up again- but now that i've read this thread, I should probably double check the inner CV's and make sure that isn't where the slop is..

thanks folks

Mine still has the clunk. Sometimes all I do is press the clutch and it goes BAM! It never got worse, never broke, It remains a mystery to me. I had it in a 4 tower lift a few times but never really found the issue. It may be the CVs I don't know.
I wonder if the 02 V8 diff and CVs are swappable to the stick LS. I can get my hands on that and try if I get some input on the subject.
Either way, limited slip is the way to go man, definitely.

I was thinking of the route of limited slip too, thinking the diff had to be set up again- but now that i've read this thread, I should probably double check the inner CV's and make sure that isn't where the slop is..

I'm selling a Limited slip right now, PM me if interested.

@pragmatic, sorry- i disagree.
The clunk only occurs when the driveshaft is changing directions (i.e. pressing from 1st to reverse on the syncros with no clutch). When pressing the same direction (first to second or third, etc pushing on syncros with no clutch) there is no clunk. Both of those cases would have the same load on the flywheel, in the same direction.

@LSinYourLS; will pm.

@pragmatic, sorry- i disagree.
The clunk only occurs when the driveshaft is changing directions (i.e. pressing from 1st to reverse on the syncros with no clutch). When pressing the same direction (first to second or third, etc pushing on syncros with no clutch) there is no clunk. Both of those cases would have the same load on the flywheel, in the same direction.

@LSinYourLS; will pm.

I tried that and found out it wasn't the flywheel. After trying to find it for so long I gave up. But I remember someone once told me it was the CVs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back