Info for all Getrag (manual) riders.

LS6_5SPD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My transmission extension housing seal was leaking tranny fluid, and the dang oil was running straight to the transmission mount which got messed up due to it.
Seems like a common problem to have, my car has 150k. Neither Ford nor Lincoln sells that seal I did ordered at Ford, and the seal is not the one in the tranny. If u ever run into this problem, the solution is Napa (thank God for creating NAPA !!)

The new seal is in already, on the pics the Ford seal, and over the Napa box the original seal.
The OEM seal is made in Brazil, and the one Napa carries is made in Japan :cool:
IMG00547-20100125-1750.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00548-20100125-1750.jpg
[/IMG]

My car has a WEIRD and hard knock somewhere in the drive train. WEIRD ! I does it sometimes when Im standing in neutral and press the clutch. Sometimes it does it while releasing the clutch pedal after shifting. Sometimes I press the clutch pedal and I feel like something is loose or something, including a metal noise from underneath the car. I thought it was the tranny going up n down due to the messed up mount. But Ive already replaced the seal and the mount. NOTHING changed. Now I assume its either something with the drive shaft or the differential. Any thoughts??

5Spd LS's pictures r ALWAYS welcomed !!

This is good to know. How much did the seal and tranny mount cost?

As far as the sound goes maybe something is binding up in the clutch assemble? I know you did but just to make sure the tranny fluid is clean and at proper level right?

How are the diff mounts?

My cars makes a bump sound sometimes when putting it in gear and always if I don't make a perfect shift.

The guy I bought it from years back told me he went to a Lincoln dealer and they could not find anything wrong. About the fluid its right on level with new fluid. Seems like a common issue, I'm pretty sure u have the exact same problem. Now until feb. 20 I don't have a lift to check things, but ill fix it no matter what man ! And of course will post a solution when found ! Do u have pics of ur ride posted somewhere ?

The guy I bought it from years back told me he went to a Lincoln dealer and they could not find anything wrong. About the fluid its right on level with new fluid. Seems like a common issue, I'm pretty sure u have the exact same problem. Now until feb. 20 I don't have a lift to check things, but ill fix it no matter what man ! And of course will post a solution when found ! Do u have pics of ur ride posted somewhere ?

Yea, I two posting I believe, best bet is to look at last months LSOTM entries.

I know what's causing my bump, it's the inside CVs. Both sides had equal amount of play in them. There's another member on here with the same problem with is Getrag 221 equipped transmission. He states that he's had two of these cars and they both did it. Like I said though is that if I shift absolutely perfect then it's fine, but any sloppiness at all and it will bump. The bump can be both heard and felt.

Yea, I two posting I believe, best bet is to look at last months LSOTM entries.

I shift absolutely perfect then it's fine, but any sloppiness at all and it will bump. The bump can be both heard and felt.

LSOTM??

Yeah, thats definitely our issue. Heard and felt from any seat. So its the CVs?? Do we need to replace them or there is a way to fix that?

:mad: F|_|CK I wanted it to be my diff.. that'll be my perfect excuse to swap in an LSD unit dang :p

LSOTM??

Yeah, thats definitely our issue. Heard and felt from any seat. So its the CVs?? Do we need to replace them or there is a way to fix that?

:mad: F|_|CK I wanted it to be my diff.. that'll be my perfect excuse to swap in an LSD unit dang :p

Yea, that's exactly what I thought, get in there and while your there might as well put and LSD in and maybe new gears, say 3.31s. As far as fixing it the only thing that you could do is rebuild/replace the CVs. The problem that I see is that this seems to be common for out cars so how long would new shafts last before doing this again?

I wish I could get my hand on some technical manuals from getrag so i could find out what all the numbers on my tranny mean. Like why does it say both 221 and 226 on the case? For all I know the 221 can be turned into a 226 just by changing internals, but we'll never know with out more information.

Last edited:
I hate to solve a problem to just wait til it comes up again.. there's gotta be a way to permanently fix the issue. Whenever my mechanics come back and take a look at the problem, I will definitely contact Getrag and see what kind of support they offer. Man I would give a hand finger for a working 6spd tranny ! :p j/k

Just a thought... does any company or shop do custom shafts? that could b a way out, and if we all with 5spd LSs place an order together we could get a pretty good deal. Just a thought idk.

If that is the rear seal you might have some major slop in your tail shaft bushing...

It was, but its all messed up cause I broke it to pull it out, it looked undamaged before I took it but leaking lol

Anyways, the oil coming out messed up the mount, so u may be right too about the tail shaft bushing, u mean the drive shaft rubbers?. Anyways I dont think thats the bump issue but Im planning to replace both of them. I was going to have them built from forged aluminum but they told me to keep the rubbers as they need to move a little up and down.

Do u own a 5spd LS too ??

I hate to solve a problem to just wait til it comes up again.. there's gotta be a way to permanently fix the issue. Whenever my mechanics come back and take a look at the problem, I will definitely contact Getrag and see what kind of support they offer. Man I would give a hand finger for a working 6spd tranny ! :p j/k

Just a thought... does any company or shop do custom shafts? that could b a way out, and if we all with 5spd LSs place an order together we could get a pretty good deal. Just a thought idk.

They used the 221 in the 528i and the 226 in the 540i so who knows. The most obvious difference is the bell housings.

If you want to replace your CVs I'd ask around for a reliable brand and try them. Just steer clear of w/e the stock brand was. If it works I'd sure be temped to replace them, if I can come up with the money. My bank is looking really low recently so anything beyond passing smog is just going to have to wait at this point.

They used the 221 in the 528i and the 226 in the 540i so who knows. The most obvious difference is the bell housings.

Really ??????? So that'll provably be the route to a 6spd !! I just dont wanna get too exited yet.. once my dad n my brother come back, they r opening a general mechanic n high performance shop :D :D :D :D I cant wait !!!!

Really ??????? So that'll provably be the route to a 6spd !! I just dont wanna get too exited yet.. once my dad n my brother come back, they r opening a general mechanic n high performance shop :D :D :D :D I cant wait !!!!

Just so you know the BMW 221 and jag 221 are slightly different. I'm not sure what they are other then the bell housing/bolt pattern. The 221 and 226 are also difference bell housing/bolt pattern. Other then that I'm not sure of the internal differences(if any) between the two 221s. Our 221 is for the duratec v style engine, the bmw is for an I style engine. The 226 is again for a v style. The only way to get a solution on this would be two have tech information for getrag or have the two transmissions side by side and compare and tear into them.

Just so you know some getrag models are extremely hard to work on, I'm told some are impossible to fully rebuild because of the way they are made. They were usually late 80's early 90's that were like this but I don't know if the 221 or 226 are on that hard to do list.

Last edited:
Bell housing bolt pattern can be fixed with a custom bracket. Ive seen that a bunch of times in race cars, and street cars using a non stock tranny.
I wouldnt mind to buy a 226 at a junk yard to start a project, but thats gotta be like a year from now ! I wanna do so much stuff to my car but first I have to solve all the issues including a messed up body.

Hey there LS6 5Spd, I should have written down the seal part number but figured I would just search the forum for your entry if I ever needed it. I've actually known about my tail shaft housing seal leak since last summer and had a transmission mount ready to install since the fall, but my lift access was not available for the winter and I just put this all on the back burner.

I got my @ss handed to me with search functions, and mechanicboy rescued me overnight.

Now I see why I was unable to find your post! Your username changed. How weird is that?

Thanks for posting this thread, and now, I have a seal on its way from a couple of states away through NAPA. Oh and thanks for changing your userid to something more memorable. I could see JESUS in the name but the other letters were not as easy to recall. And the search forum by poster function requires 3 letters at a minimum, so I was pretty screwed. I started searching over the weekend and thanks to mechanicboy, it ended overnight.

Mechanicboy says that a deep 30 mm socket is required to install this seal. What did you use when you changed yours?

Very grateful for both of y'all's help on this one!

Mike

Hey man !! I knew ppl would feel screwed when they find out ford doesn't have that seal !!
I did change my username cause the old one was J f E d S 3 U s S, the lower letters fd3s is the last RX-7 model and none of that has anything to do with my LS ! So I sent an email to the admin and they changed it for me.. Now I wanna get me a tag with that username.
About the socket, correct deep 30mm
Keep us posted on that.

Also, ur car looks like u kowered the rear ?

My car is sitting on eibachs all around. Thanks. And mazda rotarys are cool cool cool. What do you want on your tag, the old user name or the new one?

I want a tag with the new username dude !! The oild one would b stupid to spend money on as it has nothing to do with my ride.

I got SprinTechs sitting at my bedroom along with euro shocks waiting to go in. I also bought inner n outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and that rotorpros deal with the stainless lines. Energy suspension front sway bar bushings.

Do u know by any chance the rear sway bar bushing sizes?? I wan poly bushings in the rear as well.

Hey there LS6 5Spd, I should have written down the seal part number but figured I would just search the forum for your entry if I ever needed it. I've actually known about my tail shaft housing seal leak since last summer and had a transmission mount ready to install since the fall, but my lift access was not available for the winter and I just put this all on the back burner.

I got my @ss handed to me with search functions, and mechanicboy rescued me overnight.

Now I see why I was unable to find your post! Your username changed. How weird is that?

Thanks for posting this thread, and now, I have a seal on its way from a couple of states away through NAPA. Oh and thanks for changing your userid to something more memorable. I could see JESUS in the name but the other letters were not as easy to recall. And the search forum by poster function requires 3 letters at a minimum, so I was pretty screwed. I started searching over the weekend and thanks to mechanicboy, it ended overnight.

Mechanicboy says that a deep 30 mm socket is required to install this seal. What did you use when you changed yours?

Very grateful for both of y'all's help on this one!

Mike

Hey Mike, did u replaced the seal already? I lifted my car during the weekend when installing brakes, euros, sprintechs, links, etc. and notice the I still have a leak even with this seal.

I've still got a leak. It seems worse since I topped the Getrag off with a fill of new transmission fluid. I've had my car on the lift three times and I still can't tell where that leak is coming from. Shift rod seems like a good possibility but the transmission would probably have to come out in order to service that seal. What a pitfa, It's leaking so much that I have tiny dots of fluid accumulating on my back bumper. It leaves a good 4" drip mark every night.

Any updates Mike? Where is the shift rod? or what is it?
About our discussion on the upper ball joints, I took a look at them when we installed the stuff and you were right.. no way to press in ball joints and they do the job as the control arm has like a thick washer shape where the ball joint goes and it wont hold a pressed one. I will have to get oems but those I take out I will use to invent something, I will look for ideas and support here. I wanna find someone I know he builds rolex prototypes to have a better opinion/idea and hopefully help n support.

For what it's worth, I used a camera to check the condition of the shift rod. I just placed it above the driveshaft and pointed back at several angles since (obviously) you can't get your face up there. Saves removing the tranny for inspection. Mine has about 90k and the shift rod seal is just now showing signs of leaking.

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I too have the weird clunk when going into gear. And this is with a brand new transmission, slave cylinder/bearing, flywheel and clutch.

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I too have the weird clunk when going into gear. And this is with a brand new transmission, slave cylinder/bearing, flywheel and clutch.

I never payed much attention to the "clunk", but now that you mention it, mine does make a clunk noise if I have had the car in neutral and then place it in gear with the clutch pedal down. Sounds like something in the drivetrain is loading or taking up slack, dm flywheel maybe??. Is that similar to what you are experiencing? BTW, where in the world did you source a new manual trans?

Sounds like something in the drivetrain is loading or taking up slack, dm flywheel maybe??

I like that as an explanation. Mine has done it for the whole time I've owned it (11 years and 140,000 miles), it has 175,000 and I've never had the transmission out.

Sounds like something in the drivetrain is loading or taking up slack, dm flywheel maybe??. Is that similar to what you are experiencing? BTW, where in the world did you source a new manual trans?

Yeah, it almost sounds like my Land Rover winding & unwinding the drive train.

I got the Trans from Ford. They still have like 12 left. The flywheel I had to get from Jaguar, incidentally it had a Ford part number etched in it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back