Inexpensive Valve Cover Gasket set on Amazon for $42.29

You have the coils covered under a tsb from ford up to 100K miles.

replace the gasket and keep those same coils and plugs untill you detect a misfire and have them stress test. Then you will get them replaced for free.

and go ahead and order a set of visteons and ngk plugs to keep as spares.

Hmm I had heard about that TSB but was under the impression that there was some sort of fee involved with stress testing the vehicle to the tune of $200 and even then they only replace the coils that dont pass the stress test and not the whole set

Its a $100 fee if they pass and no charge if they dont.

You could always just replace them on your own anyways for peace of mind. If you are doing the gasket you might as well.

Hmm I had heard about that TSB but was under the impression that there was some sort of fee involved with stress testing the vehicle to the tune of $200 and even then they only replace the coils that dont pass the stress test and not the whole set

It's your lucky day. On the 2003 V8, they will also replace the valve cover gaskets at no charge if there is evidence of leaking. You will not be charged for the stress test if at least one coil fails. Since you have oil in the wells (refill the one that was full if you drained it), you'll be covered anyway. (There's no way you'll have to pay.)

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

Just called the dealership and scheduled to come in monday morning. :cool:

Here's an album with some pics I snapped of the coils/wells

The first two are what most of the coils look like with a little bit of oil in the bottom around the plug and some dried/sludgy oil on the coil boots.

The second two are of the really bad coil and some oil I daubed out of the well

What happened with the 2003 version that they cover valve cover gaskets as well?

They determined the valve cover gasket design or manufacture to be faulty, so they will replace them with the 2004+ ones.

Wow... that seal must be pretty bad. I had some oil in mine but you have a ton. :lol:

Yeah, like I say only one is really flooded like that but there are little puddle around the bases of almost every plug and smeared on each coil. I'm honestly surprised I havent had any issues with it but maybe Im just used to driving a crappy car so even with misfires this one still feels smooth to me:shifty:

did they tell you what vcg's replace would cost? I could do it myself especially with all the write ups... just dont really have time right now has any one done this and know what it will cost at dealer or a shop(jiffy, pep, meineke, jensen, etc.)?

I just read this whole thread....turned out pretty good so far ;)

So took it to the dealership this morning and told them about the issues. The service consultant called me back and told me the first stress test didnt reveal any misfires or throw any codes so they wouldnt have been able to do the warranty repair (even though the oil had obviously seeped into every spar plug well and flooded 1 or 2 badly). Funny thing is the gal owned an '05 LS before she worked at the dealership and had the same issue but they wouldnt cover it under warranty. She told them to stress test it again and the second test revealed a misfire on coil 5 so the wearranty gasket repair and coil replacement is a go!

One of the things she mentioned though is that the extended warranty on the gasket does not cover the 04s or 05s

Sounds good.

While you are there you may want to pick up some miscellaneous parts like all the plastic screws and crap. They tend to break when replacing the air filter and just from general use.

I have replaced lots of small stuff...those are next on my list along with chrome turn signal bulbs front and rear and next time i go for my oil change at the dealer i will get my spare key programmed and inquire about one of the leaking vct sensors....see if its a simple gasket that can be replaced.

Old thread I know, but its what popped up on a search. Had 7 coils replaced under the extended warranty on my '05. Car started running crappy again so took it to the dealer and they told me that both valve covers needed to be replaced and it would be $750. Then the CV boot needed to be replaced for another $180. I am assuming this is the boot that goes on one of the coils?? Anyway told them to stick it as I had found this post and can do the valve covers myself. Thanks for the heads up guys. Anyone found a good place to get the coils from? Found Amazon has a cheapo 8 pack of coils for less then $100, but I know you get what you pay for usually.

The rear of your car has four CV boots. I would assume that they are talking about one of those.
Tasca or FordPartsGaint for the coils.
Note that the valve cover gaskets do not come with the seals for the VCTs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEN1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 - sealant for the two spots on each side where the timing cover meets.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033DPMZE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 - valve cover gasket set
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NS3XR6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 - VCT seal, need two
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPIRGTO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 - spark plugs, need two boxes

Found Amazon has a cheapo 8 pack of coils for less then $100, but I know you get what you pay for usually.

cheap coils sometimes dont work out of the box, tent to fail quickly, and can end up costing you a lot more money after serious cat damage...

something in life, you dont skimp on, parts for this car are one of them.

Members online

Back