Inexpensive Valve Cover Gasket set on Amazon for $42.29

That's what I assume. It's the same part that Advance Auto carries, but they want $65 for it.

Not everyone has that luxury. There is a coupon for $20 off which brings it to $45, but Amazon is still cheaper and it will show up at my door.

Send me both and I'll take measurements. :D

I've built several engines and used a bunch of parts sources. Seriously, Fel Pro ain't something to write home about. They're kinda the Wal Mart of gaskets.

Send me both and I'll take measurements. :D

I've built several engines and used a bunch of parts sources. Seriously, Fel Pro ain't something to write home about. They're kinda the Wal Mart of gaskets.

Felpro is the #1 gasket used by independent shops, and many people prefer them over factory gaskets.

Just an example would be the OEM intake gaskets on 3.1 3.4 or 3.8 GM motors

Most will use the metal bone felpro gasket kit for this.

Good find. Just checked my COPs for the hell of it even though there's no perceptible issues with my vehicle there were small amounts of oil in just about every one of my plug wells with one being totally flooded with it. Ordering this kit, NGK Iridiums, Visteon coils, Permatex ultra black RTV. dialectic grease and anti seize lube shortly and following this tutorial.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/Valve-Cover-Seal.htm

Should be fun. Most complex mechanical procedure I'll have ever undertaken.

Good find. Just checked my COPs for the hell of it even though there's no perceptible issues with my vehicle there were small amounts of oil in just about every one of my plug wells with one being totally flooded with it. Ordering this kit, NGK Iridiums, Visteon coils, Permatex ultra black RTV. dialectic grease and anti seize lube shortly and following this tutorial.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/Valve-Cover-Seal.htm

Should be fun. Most complex mechanical procedure I'll have ever undertaken.

It shouldn't be too bad. Valve covers are easy. It's the head that's a pain in the ass if you ever have to pull one. Just take your time and make sure you have a dish or something to hold all your bolts. I have a little Craftsman magnetic bowl that works really well.

Definitely. The plugs on the driver's side are a pain in the ass. I managed to swap them without really removing anything. Just some clever maneuvering with some extensions and using a pen magnet to drop the spark plug socket into the hole, then the extension, then another extension, then the a wrench. Once I had the plug loose, I just reversed that order. :lol:

I won't say I enjoyed it, but it's done now so that's nice.

Any tangible gains to be had by going with iridium over platinum? Durability improvements? I'd prefer these sparkies to last me 100k+

Nope.

As far as i know the platinum plugs are rated for 100K. But bad coils will make you have to replace the plugs anyways.

Alright well thanks for the tip! Guess I'll just grab the platinums. I'm hoping once I get a proper gasket in place I wont have any coil issues with the visteons for quite some time.

Alright well thanks for the tip! Guess I'll just grab the platinums. I'm hoping once I get a proper gasket in place I wont have any coil issues with the visteons for quite some time.

Well, we all hope that. I might actually make it to 100K on the coils in my 06, I'm close.

Anyway, oil exposure is not the only or maybe even the most common cause of coil failure. Most coil failures seem to be due to failure of the epoxy inside the coils. My own theory is that the number of low temp to high temp cycles that they are exposed to is a factor in how long they last.

I figured the LS encyclopedia would weigh in on this sooner or later! lol

Durability issues with the coil epoxy eh? Hmm. What is your stance on the use of accel coils instead? I had heard there is some added difficulty due to having to change the spark plug timing? This is something that could be done with an ECU tune right?

The accel's are mustang coils and the polairty has to be reversed to use them.

Also they wont clear the cop cover. So they will be exposed. But lots of vehicles have exposed coils....but usually coils packs and not our style.

Oh and you have to use some adapters to mount them correctly.

I prefer to get oem coils and just order two sets....the ford dealer may not like the work around with accels if you ever go in for some work.

You lost me at polarity @__@

Reading into it now

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=73132

Is the added difficulty worth it in your opinion or is this car just a coil killer?

edit: My car is at ~87k mi. so a bit out of warranty, but my friend's brother in law is the local Linc dealer's general manager so I could probably get away with it if there was something imperative I needed done at the dealer, but good point nonetheless.

What is your mileage??

I think i have a marginal misfire on one of the coils which is what induced my rough idle issue so im replacing them all along with the plugs. But im already at 74K so it was close to be replaced anyways. Also i think heat is a factor and it gets very hot down here in Texas.

But my original coils lasted 6 years and 75K miles which is good i guess for these cars.

My previous car never had an ignition coil replaced but then again it was nowhere near what the LS is.

Edited above post to include miles. I'm not replacing the coils because I can detect any misfires or engine issues. I was just fiddling around last night and wanted to see if there was any oil in the plug wells and sure enough almost all of them had some degree of oil in them with one well being totally drenched. It looks like 1 or 2 were replaced at some point as they look different from the rest including the coil in the flooded well. I also live in a ravagingly hot climate (google palm springs high temps lol) so my coils will be under similar stress as yours.

Members online

No members online now.
Back