Indirectly raced a cobalt ss

normohl

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was coming home from school and I get behind a cobalt ss (new) the one with the wing on the back, he was going 35 in a 50. so I go to pass him and right when I switch lanes he mashes it. I beat him out to around 60 and switched lanes in front of him, promptly giving him a thumbs up out my sunroof.

now before you say the cobalt ss is slow, I need a fuel pump bad and I got a gen 2.

what do those run in the quarter anyways, guessing more than 16 because my gen 2 is way slow.

a 05 runs a 14.5

a 2010 runs a 13.9 and a 5.4 0-60 260hp 260tq

He must not have been trying as they are 13 second cars in the 1/4 mile. (at least the newer ones are, esp. the TC ones)

Thomas

hmmm do they make the reg cobalts with the wing?

i was trying to look up cobalt ss 1/4 mile times and i saw some people saying like 16.1@87 and stuff?

ya it had the ss wing, it was dark so I did not read the badge. It had to be an ss or it would not have kept up. He was not giving up I probably came within a foot on him when I switched back lanes because of oncoming traffic.

You can get a non boosted SS. Has all the options and body kit..but no go. Buddy bought one a few years ago....we gave him hell the whole time he owned that thing.

A turbo SS would have walked you like no tomorrow. I ran one when stock and got trashed.

glad to hear a new cobalt non ss can almost beat a mark viii :(

sounds to me like you beat a turbo ss cause you at 35 mph are
in a very sweet spot for the make then you got the jump on him
so this race was your best chance of beating him and you did

I can beat a stock LT1 camaro from a roll if i get the jump
and they run 14 flat all day long

I had a '93 basically stock with a very custom exhaust! Custom because I built the stock driverside manifold with the cat cut completely off! I stayed side by side with a 2000 Camaro SS with 22's on it from 30 all the way to 130 getting on the interstate before I let out of it!! I added the 22's becuase I know they slowed that car down!!! But I don't know what it was about that car but it was the fastest Mark I have had. Way faster than my others!

A4 2.73 geared LT1's are more like mid 14's at 95-97, 3.23 cars a little faster, 6 spd cars faster still. A Cobalt SS turbo traps in the 102-103 range stock while a 6spd LT1 would be around 100-101. There is a chance he ran the Supercharged version which would be weaker.

I had a '93 basically stock with a very custom exhaust! Custom because I built the stock driverside manifold with the cat cut completely off! I stayed side by side with a 2000 Camaro SS with 22's on it from 30 all the way to 130 getting on the interstate before I let out of it!! I added the 22's becuase I know they slowed that car down!!! But I don't know what it was about that car but it was the fastest Mark I have had. Way faster than my others!

Either it was an SS clone (V6) or the guy was toying with you. You have no chance of beating a stock LS1 with a near stock 93 Mark VIII. A stock SS should be putting 300+ to the wheels as they were under rated. I've seen multiple stock LS1's running low 13's at 108+. I still haven't seen that magical high 12 stock LS1, but they have been close.

It was a true SS stock but the dude was scared of it. It has been around here for a while, it has lambo doors and 22" rims. Young black dude has it! I had the cats deleted and egr deleted and true duals all the way to the ass with borla mufflers!

Years ago I had a 94 Mark and a 96 Camaro Z-28. The Z-28 was much faster time wise in the 1/4 mile (due to hole shot) but the Mark had higher MPH at the end. I sure the Mark would have out ran the Z-28 from a running start.

From what I know my stock 98 Camaro SS (thats how you get the ss in my screen name) ran 13.5 in the quarter. I have not taken the stock Mark to the track. But from a rolling race it would be close. The LS1 did not have a lot of top end from what I remember. But good God dont ever try to take one off the line!

From what I know my stock 98 Camaro SS (thats how you get the ss in my screen name) ran 13.5 in the quarter. I have not taken the stock Mark to the track. But from a rolling race it would be close. The LS1 did not have a lot of top end from what I remember. But good God dont ever try to take one off the line!

Oh I know better than that! I really don't like to try and race anything off the line in my Mark's! Lol Once I get these gears in this one I will feel better though!

Have yet to race one with the blower but I went against one when I had gears, tune and exhaust and walked him. It was from 40 MPH though and he may have beaten me from a standing start.

With the blower I have gone against a 2010 Camaro SS on the highway and instantly pulled one car but then couldnt pull any more, we were even to 120.
I know I can walk a C5 Vett now pretty easy. I was very suprised to beat the new 'Maro though. When we pulled in to Waco the dude motioned for me to roll my window down and said "How the fock did you do that!?" :lol:

Have yet to race one with the blower but I went against one when I had gears, tune and exhaust and walked him. It was from 40 MPH though and he may have beaten me from a standing start.

With the blower I have gone against a 2010 Camaro SS on the highway and instantly pulled one car but then couldnt pull any more, we were even to 120.
I know I can walk a C5 Vett now pretty easy. I was very suprised to beat the new 'Maro though. When we pulled in to Waco the dude motioned for me to roll my window down and said "How the fock did you do that!?" :lol:

The new ones are slowed down significantly by their weight. From what I've read it's a driver's race between an LS1 SS and the new SS.

What was your trap speed? Considering the top end is around 160 MPH on an LS1, I have a hard time believing a stock Mark VIII would do anything but get roasted. It weighs more than a 4th gen LS1 and is way down on power stock vs. stock. LS1's are deceptive. If you drove a stock one and an LT1 back to back you might think the LT1 would win, until you actually raced them. Remember, Laser is running neck and new with a new SS which is close to the LS1 but he has a blower.
You should get someone to drive one and you drive the other, run from a roll and post the result.
My 95 Z28 (A4 3.23's with a cat back) was .7 and 3 mph faster than my 94 Mark VIII (13.94 at 100.XX vs. 14.651 at 97.21) at the same track (Cecil county) under similar conditions. I lost by nearly a full second and about 7 mph to an '01 T/A that day.

The new ones are slowed down significantly by their weight. From what I've read it's a driver's race between an LS1 SS and the new SS.

6spd vs. 6spd they are very close with the new SS trapping a MPH or so more but very similar 1/4 mile times.

What was your trap speed? Considering the top end is around 160 MPH on an LS1, I have a hard time believing a stock Mark VIII would do anything but get roasted. It weighs more than a 4th gen LS1 and is way down on power stock vs. stock. LS1's are deceptive. If you drove a stock one and an LT1 back to back you might think the LT1 would win, until you actually raced them. Remember, Laser is running neck and new with a new SS which is close to the LS1 but he has a blower.
You should get someone to drive one and you drive the other, run from a roll and post the result.
My 95 Z28 (A4 3.23's with a cat back) was .7 and 3 mph faster than my 94 Mark VIII (13.94 at 100.XX vs. 14.651 at 97.21) at the same track (Cecil county) under similar conditions. I lost by nearly a full second and about 7 mph to an '01 T/A that day.

I probably would not believe it neither if I was'nt the one that was racing the car. I had a '99 Z-28 with a 6 speed and exhaust back in 2000. So I know how they run! <-------LS1's!!! I know he was scared of it because we were racing from about a mile away from the highway, before we actually did our real race and every time he went around a corner and got a little sideways, he would get all the way out of it and I would have to get off of it so I did'nt run into his ass end. Plus he had a heavy ass speaker box, 22's, Lambo doors! Quite a bit of added weight!!! But I really could'nt believe I was side bye side with him all the way to about 130. He was actually nosing me but when I finally let out of it my front tire was about at his back tire. So he did'nt even get a car length on me or any full passing on me!

A4 2.73 geared LT1's are more like mid 14's at 95-97, 3.23 cars a little faster, 6 spd cars faster still. A Cobalt SS turbo traps in the 102-103 range stock while a 6spd LT1 would be around 100-101. There is a chance he ran the Supercharged version which would be weaker.

we have a a4 2.73 lt1 with just exaust we ran a 14 flat on a 100 degree day
at BIR and backed that up with 5 14 1s and 2s also its a vert

I dont remember what the trap speed was... I dont own the car anymore. I got rid or it when my son came along(four years ago)... What Im basing it off of is with that stock SS I spanked a buddies stock 96 Impala SS by about a second and a half. I raced the same Impala SS on the freeway with the Mark. We started the race at around 65 mph and it was a fight I did not gain much but when we went off the line he got me by what seemed like a car length. I know I would not take on a Camaro SS at all with my Mark.

we have a a4 2.73 lt1 with just exaust we ran a 14 flat on a 100 degree day
at BIR and backed that up with 5 14 1s and 2s also its a vert

Cat back or full on exhaust?.

Members online

No members online now.
Back