ignition problem

gijoe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
well I guess i can try to explain the best I can and go from there. Put the key in the ignition and turn it and the interior lights and radio turn on but the engine does'nt turn over. So turn the key back mess with the gear indicator and turn the key , Nothing. Turn the key back to off and wait a few minutes and try again and the car turns over and starts. Does anyone know whats the deal, dont want to take it to the dealer and them tell me nothing wrong. Its happen three times in the past four or five months. Twice when I was gone off to work and once here lately when I was in the car with my wife. Any help would be appreciated, or even ideas how to narrow the problem down to what it may be. I have my own ideas but I'm hoping for somone that may has had the same problem. I have an 01 V8.. Thanks Again

I wish I could help. There are several different things that could be the issue....none of them simple that I can think of.

Neutral Switch maybe?

I don't know if the Ls's have it (I would presume they do) but it's basically a switch in the tranny that tells the computer if it's in gear, or in Park/neutral, therefore allowing you to start it.

Do the Lss have a brake switch? Do you have to step on the brake before you can start the car? If so, you may want to check that switch too.

How about the actual ignition switch?

Maybe the computer isn't getting the RFID off the ignition key all the time?

There are so many things that could be out of whack, a 1 hour diagnosis fee by the dealer could be worth it in the long run. It may turn out to be cheaper than just throwing new parts at the car.

It's a possbility. This would cause the exact symptoms seen.
gijoe, do you have one of those gas station speed-pay thingies on your keychain? They also use RFID and can interfere with the car's engine immobilizer.

my 01 ls8 had some of those same problems...finally got it to a dealership and found out one of the previous owners didnt take it in for a recall that was on one of the engine sensors since being fixed no problems at all.

Frogman said:

If that were the case, you would get a rapidly blinking red light on the dash indicating a PATS failure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back