ignition coils will not fit into harness, somebody please help me!!!

mscott1979

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I ordered a whole set of brand new ignition coils form world auto parts off of ebay. Got the coils very promptly, took the old coils out and when i attempted to slide the new coils they did not fit, hmmmm thought maybe it was just me so i got another one out of the box they sent me and tried again and none of the new ones will fit into my factory harnesses. So i got one of the ones that i was trying to replaced and compared it to the new ones side by sidat, physically no difference what so ever, identical, but when I looked at the metal connecting prongs that make the electrical connection inside the wiring harness come to find out that the ones that i ordered are like 1mm thicker than the oem ones. How is that so? does anybody else have this problem or know what these coils are for? Plz somebody help ASAP

prolly got the v6 ones, not sure are the v6 coils similar to the v8 ones as far as size and shape?

if this was indeed the problem you would think they might demonstrate some concern as to why your purchasing 8 coils rather than the 6

Maybe they are for a different engine? Anyone know if the Gen2 coils are the same as the Gen1's? Or maybe they are for the V6? Take a pic and post it up..

if this was indeed the problem you would think they might demonstrate some concern as to why your purchasing 8 coils rather than the 6

They wouldn't give a damn they're making a sale. Chances are they don't know there are two different types anyway.

Check back on the page you bought them from and look to see if there is any mention of the coils being specifically for a V6 or V8.

coils

The v-6 coil has the mounting boss for the screw on the opposit side (6 o;clock) of the plugin and has a short boot. the V-8 mounting boss is at 1 o'clock to the 12 o'clock connector. Both connectors are the same.

max

I ordered a whole set of brand new ignition coils form world auto parts off of ebay. Got the coils very promptly, took the old coils out and when i attempted to slide the new coils they did not fit, hmmmm thought maybe it was just me so i got another one out of the box they sent me and tried again and none of the new ones will fit into my factory harnesses. So i got one of the ones that i was trying to replaced and compared it to the new ones side by sidat, physically no difference what so ever, identical, but when I looked at the metal connecting prongs that make the electrical connection inside the wiring harness come to find out that the ones that i ordered are like 1mm thicker than the oem ones. How is that so? does anybody else have this problem or know what these coils are for? Plz somebody help ASAP

no checked into it and the v6 coils are totally different from v8 ones mine were for a v8 they just would not fit into the harnesses.......maybe thats what i get for not buying a genuine motorcraft replacement part

I went throught the same thing get the $150.00 ones and they work just fine. get your money back!!!

I just got a set of the same coils off eBay, I neglected to search here first. The connectors on mine are also to big.:confused:

So I was looking for coils as well on ebay and came across these same ones but came here to ask how they worked first, haha.

here is the link, and has anyone had any good luck with them plugging in and working?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ryZ33689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nope, those are the exact ones I purchased, from world-autoparts. The 2 prongs the connector snaps into are wider than the ones on the original coils. The connector will not snap into those coils, at least on my car.

2001, 3.9l, VIN code "A"(like they mention in their auction).:confused:

I just put a set of those on a couple of weeks ago and they worked fine. Plugged in just like the factory and worked good. No more misfires or stumbling. I had 5 bad factory coils:( . She runs like a champ now.

Before I get flamed for NOT buying Motorcraft......Save it, I don't care. If they fail then they fail. I bought them and put them in, not you.

Any chance you could post a pic of the 2 prongs the connector plugs into on one of your old coils?

I figured out what the issue is with these coils. There is a "ridge" for lack of a better word where the connector plugs in that prevents these from working with my car. Out of the set of 8 I received I found 3 that will work, but the rest I cannot plug in the connector. So the wider prongs was not the issue.

The old coil is on the left, the new one with the "ridge" is on the right. The ridge is the thin plastic wall running around where the 2 metal prongs are.

coils.jpg

I was contacted by world-autoparts customer service dept. and they seem willing to exchange or refund no problem, so I'm going to see if I can make sure I get 5 more that do not have that "ridge" in them.

If you order from someone on eBay you may want to try to confirm whether you're getting the right ones or not first.

I remember a post not too long ago about this very thing. I remember because I made sure the ones I got did not have the ridge. I thought there was a disclaimer in the other ebay auction about that?

I remember a post not too long ago about this very thing. I remember because I made sure the ones I got did not have the ridge. I thought there was a disclaimer in the other ebay auction about that?

Yeah, the one auction has the "ridge" disclaimer, unfortunately the auction I won did not mention the evil "ridge".

Also, I installed the 3 good ones today and man my car runs so much better now.

This is turning into a great thread now! Very good information here.

So people have having good luck with the cheaper coils than besides the plastic ridge?

Anyone have a good amount of miles on the cheaper coils yet?

Great thread....so I'm getting ready to change mine. I'm at work now and can't get to the old ones, so for an '01 V8 do I need the "ridge" or "ridgeless"? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back