Idle Air Control

tda13

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Noticed after putting the car back together that it seemed to idle high while coasting. I also noticed, that if I unplugged IAC, it would idle down to normal. Will, today I got the C.E. light, so I pulled into an Autozone (please forgive me) and had them run the code. Guess what... bad IAC. I pulled the IAC off the other motor in the garage (a 96) and same idle results as well as the C.E. light. I did'nt figure the C.E. light would go out, but who knows.

What happens if I run with out the IAC plugged in for the rest of today??? Damage??? I cleaned the old one and put it back on and the car did idle down until I drove it, then it seemed to stick about the same place. It idles at 1000 rpm....

Noticed after putting the car back together that it seemed to idle high while coasting. I also noticed, that if I unplugged IAC, it would idle down to normal. Will, today I got the C.E. light, so I pulled into an Autozone (please forgive me) and had them run the code. Guess what... bad IAC. I pulled the IAC off the other motor in the garage (a 96) and same idle results as well as the C.E. light. I did'nt figure the C.E. light would go out, but who knows.

What happens if I run with out the IAC plugged in for the rest of today??? Damage??? I cleaned the old one and put it back on and the car did idle down until I drove it, then it seemed to stick about the same place. It idles at 1000 rpm....

unplugging the Iac will not hurt the car, it'll just idle kind of low-1000 rpm is not great, hard on the trans at stops-I am kind of interested, you took the old IAC off and installed the other one, and not ONE comment about what a joke it is...you must have some secret, as this is one of the most dreaded fixes on a GEN I-anyway, back to the subject, disconnect the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes, then hook it back up, start it, let it idle for about 5, then drive it (I drive mine easy) and let the ECM reset all the sensors, including the IAC-see if that works.

I;ve found on some cars the car will not idle at all with the IAC unplugged. On those sam3e cars if a vacuum line is disconnected and the IAC is too it will stay running.

My Mark and a Conti die if you unplug when running. The IAC must operate right. If you run it with it unplugged your fuel air mix will be off. Best to replace. Cleaning is done as more of a test to see if it improves, at which point replacement is recommend.

unplugging the Iac will not hurt the car, it'll just idle kind of low-1000 rpm is not great, hard on the trans at stops-I am kind of interested, you took the old IAC off and installed the other one, and not ONE comment about what a joke it is...you must have some secret, as this is one of the most dreaded fixes on a GEN I-anyway, back to the subject, disconnect the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes, then hook it back up, start it, let it idle for about 5, then drive it (I drive mine easy) and let the ECM reset all the sensors, including the IAC-see if that works.

Mines a Gen2. The 96 motor is on the stand in the garage... makes it easier to get to.

My Mark and a Conti die if you unplug when running. The IAC must operate right. If you run it with it unplugged your fuel air mix will be off. Best to replace. Cleaning is done as more of a test to see if it improves, at which point replacement is recommend.

Oddly enough, it idles down to where it should be, but does not die. It did make a difference after cleaning, but not as much as I would have hoped. I only drove it around the block after I cleaned it. I'll drive it some tomorrow and see what it does.

if you did a good cleaning job there is no need to replace the IAC I have run on cleaned ones for years

Tried everything. Even reset the c.e. light. Nothing has helped. At idle, the car runs 30mph. Driving me crazy. I will probably pick up a new IAC tomorrow to see if that will fix it.

If it were not for the IAV code I would think vacuum leak....

If it were not for the IAV code I would think vacuum leak....

I agree. I disconnected the batterie for the night to see if it will reset??? I honestly do not think its the IAC since I pulled the one off the other motor and put it on with the same results. Maybe it will reset tonight.

T

did you fix the idle? Mine is doing the same thing, no leaks and a new IAC????

ya, I did. I replaced IAC and had the same problem. I went over that motor half a dozen times and could not find a vacuum leak. I was under the hood and I was manually running the throttle and when I would rev it up, I would hear a leak. I was actually leaking on one of the lines that go into the intake on each side of IAC. The torque from the motor reving up would open the leak... crazy. Put a new lines on and it completly fixed the problem. Was about to drive me crazy.

Members online

No members online now.
Back