I want to shave my door handles

BlackMark8Li

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so come spring I have to replace both of my door handles, they both broke. so I figure why not just get them shaved off. what is involved in this and how much would it cost? I can probally get the body work done for cheap but what else would I need? anyone have pictures of a mark8 with this done?

They just pull the handle assembly out, and weld a piece of metal where the handle was and put some body filler on top of that. Oh yeah, the put the door poppy solenoid in there also. Or you could just go to the junkyard and get some decent handles for CHEAP. like 30 bucks for both. I will look for some black ones when i go next time, but do you need the actaul handle or the outer piece?

Paint her orange, rebel flag on top, roll cage, 01 on the side, and you'll have the first Mark Vlll General Lee, lol....

Congratulations on that...

Go to a Body shop if you aren't comfortable with that one... Get a quote and come on back here!

Depends on the body shop labor rates - but the whole thing could cost $600-$800 I would guess- thats including all the body work and paint, as well as the solenoids. Keep in mind, both doors have to be painted after the handle holes are filled.

Here you would get charged 55 an hour to get the sheetmetal work done. I have never done a mark, but judging by the thinness of the metal we have, it's gonna take some time to stitch weld the panel into place with out warping the door.

That, plus body work and paint, your looking at around 800-1000 for everything including parts.

Mike

I think you should go for the General Lee look myself!!! That would be sweet, especially if you got the horn and everything!

i was quoted 750 from my body shop of choice but i could get it done way cheaper throught the local tech school, i know the instructor really well and he is one of the most talented tech's i have met. under 200 is what he told me.

hey woouldnt you have to some how incorporate an alarm with that to unlock (am i makin any sence?)..at my work...i have come across some vehicals that have shaved handles..lol... it kinda funny how you see someone(even myself) tryng to figure out a way to get in for 45 minutes and not knowing where the secret button is to unlock.and some have alarms to actually open the door!!! really cool.

luvmymkviii said:
i was quoted 750 from my body shop of choice but i could get it done way cheaper throught the local tech school, i know the instructor really well and he is one of the most talented tech's i have met. under 200 is what he told me.

the teacher isn't doing the work at the tech school though, your paying for a students material to play with on your car..i would be leary. Your best bet is to find someone that works for a local shop and see if they work on the side. I've been a bodyman for 5yrs so i know a little about the industry.

were you looking at any poping kits...?
if you were let me know witch ones..... ive been wanting to do this also but cant find any god kits

like this.......:D

5e_1.jpg

that :q:q:q:qin sick man :eek: i like it alot

:shifty: now what poping kit did u use :confused:

I don't know about the VIII, but I have shaved the handles on my VII. Stay away from AutoLoc; their solenoids are horrible, along with their customer service. It is a lot of wiring to do, so you need to be prepared to spend a weekend getting the solenoids installed properly. Also remember to have an alternative method if entry if your battery dies. A good, all-inclusive kit will run between $300 and $500 dollars.

:q:q:q:q man ill do it for 350.00 out of my garage and ill have a buddy of mine paint it cheap let me know and josh what kit would u recommend i had countless problems with auto loc they suck asss

Last edited:
I have planned on soing this since the very first time I pulled on the broken handle on my car. Wait for about a year and I will do a full right up when I get around to it.

i payed
$100 for the solenoid kit, i think they were like 45lb solenoids with poppers
$30 for the dynaglass and bondo
$4 5 feet metal rectangular bar to mount the solenoids to

ive had them shaved for about 5 months, no problems with the kit. ran 12 gauge wire for the solenoid and for the ground. i still have it primered though, im getting my car repainted after i do the lambo doors. it doesnt take that long to shave them, i had never shaved doors before. its just a little different than other cars since it has a cable to open the door

:q:q:q:q man ill do it for 350.00 out of my garage and ill have a buddy of mine paint it cheap let me know and josh what kit would u recommend i had countless problems with auto loc they suck asss

maybe after a year and a half he dont need it to be done anymore:D

If he hasn't shaved them yet, I'll bet they have one heck of a beard by now.:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In my best nerd "backwards laugh": Hehhh, hehhh, hehhh.:D

I think the shaved door handles look great on these cars.

I also think just the solenoid kit would be nice to have.
Maybe it might save some wear on the door handles.

I'm glad someone reopened this thread. I'm not sure I would have thought of it in time to do it to my car. I ordered a 50 lb. kit today. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Thanks

Members online

Back