I used the wrong power steering fluid on my 03

karolpl2004

LVC Member
Reaction score
What to do now? I just got the car from auction. minor work to be done, but the power steering did not work, so i just poured some of the STP brand power steering fluid (http://www.stp.com/products/functional-fluids/power-steering-fluid/). from what im reading im supposed to use transmission fluid. if i dont do it what will happen, and if i do it whats the easiest way to flush system?

Buy a $1 turkey baster, suck out as much of the power steering fluid as you can, top off with transmission fluid, run car and go right to left, lock to lock easy, and repeat procedure. You should have most all of the wrong fluid out.

Joegr has published a link to flush on old thread but it is not valid, maybe he will update link.

Joegr has published a link to flush on old thread but it is not valid, maybe he will update link.

Owlman was nice enough to put the 2006 service manual on the web in electronic form. That's where most of my links go to. It's gone now. I don't know if he got a take down notice, or if something else has happened.

The more adventurous flush method:

Remove the return hose from the reservoir and plug the reservoir. Redirect the hose to a bucket. Note that it'll pulse and pump quite a bit, so make sure the hose can't whip around.

Lift the front wheels off the ground. Have someone start the car and turn the wheels lock-to-lock while you pour in ATF. Do this quickly so the pump doesn't pull air. If you can't keep up, then turn off the engine quickly.
Use at least a gallon of ATF. Keep going until the discharge is fresh fluid.
Put the return hose back to the reservoir and fill properly.

IF YOU LET AIR INTO THE PUMP, YOU MAY DAMAGE THE PUMP AND/OR RACK. Your mileage may vary. I am not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle. et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. However, this is how I do PS flushes at home.

I did the exact same thing, but I only added maybe 5 ounces as I was just topping it off.. I left it and didn't have problems. I top it off with differential lube now. I think I have a small leak, but I top it off every 6 months or so.

Members online

No members online now.
Back