I must have the worst luck ever! pic for ya v. shocks

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm replacing my lowered springs with a set of regular ride height springs that I got from gman.

So I took the old struts off and took the struts to a shop to replace the springs.

I got the struts back and this is what I got back.

2011-07-28135715.jpg

They claim that the strut was ':q:q:q:qed up' and that the screw at the top was bent. So they stripped nearly the entire top of the strut and gave me this back.

Considering even having this strut around me is dangerous as hell I have to order a new strut. Plus they lost a mount (the top part) and say they gave it back to me.

On top of all this they didn't place the mounts correctly so that the strut's actually go in the car. They've told me to use a bar to twist the strut and pound in the bold to the lower control arm simultaneously. (which I didn't have to do the first time I had this done.)

I mean cumon people.. how hard is this.

So I'm without a car for 3-7 days. Yay...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu

edit: Just curious. If anyone knows. Are the regular size springs supposed to be a smaller diameter than the lowered springs? My lowered springs have a higher diameter and these guys at the shop said the lowered springs held much more force (and therefore better). And yes I know this is a general question as there are many springs out there so if I were to guess I'm guessing this was an arnott coil-over set. ( the struts are completely bad..no recoil. lol )

Yes lowering springs will usually have a larger diameter because they usually have an increased spring rate(or the same rate in less coils). As for the coils next time you could just try changing them yourself by using a jack on the lower control arm and leaving the mount bolted in the car. Take the top nut off and slowly lower the control arm to release the spring tension. I have been doing it this way for years with success.

-Alan

and that is why i can not bring myself to take my car to a shop. not even for an oil change.

Yes lowering springs will usually have a larger diameter because they usually have an increased spring rate(or the same rate in less coils). As for the coils next time you could just try changing them yourself by using a jack on the lower control arm and leaving the mount bolted in the car. Take the top nut off and slowly lower the control arm to release the spring tension. I have been doing it this way for years with success.

-Alan
You have been installing and removing strut springs like that for years? How many fingers or teeth are you missing? I would never remove a strut spring (or factory style coil over shock) like that and I wonder how the hell you get it back together?

OP, that blows. I would have raised all kinds of hell to the point they would gladly buy me a new loaded pair of T-bird Assembly's just to get rid of me. I never let a shop touch my chit and thats why.

I'm trying to get a single from a guy on ebay. Anyone know where to get a single tokico blue at a reasonable price?

and that is why i can not bring myself to take my car to a shop. not even for an oil change.

I never let a shop touch my chit and thats why.

I haven't even told you guys how I get it aligned 2 weeks ago and the next day it began pouring out power steering fluid. Don't know what I'm going to do about that yet. :( So angry about that.

Good grief... You desperately need some better mechanics around you. That kind of stupidity is why I do almost everything myself.

the last time i let a shop touch my car, i was in i pinch.(400 mi away from home) and they destroyed a $200 addco front sway bar. you have to remove the front k member to replace it to it is about a 5 hr job for me.

You have been installing and removing strut springs like that for years? How many fingers or teeth are you missing? I would never remove a strut spring (or factory style coil over shock) like that and I wonder how the hell you get it back together?

OP, that blows. I would have raised all kinds of hell to the point they would gladly buy me a new loaded pair of T-bird Assembly's just to get rid of me. I never let a shop touch my chit and thats why.

You jack it back up reverse of removal would you like me to go outside and make a video....it's much safer this way than with any spring compressor i have ever used. You have a 3 ton jack holding the spring not some flimsy wall mounted unit. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is unsafe or wrong. I have probably removed the springs from 30 t-birds this way without incident.

-Alan

You jack it back up reverse of removal would you like me to go outside and make a video....it's much safer this way than with any spring compressor i have ever used. You have a 3 ton jack holding the spring not some flimsy wall mounted unit. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it is unsafe or wrong. I have probably removed the springs from 30 t-birds this way without incident.

-Alan

Oh I.think he understands completely. I've done this at the JY but it doesn't make it right, once the top of the shock stud clears the mount you run the risk of that thing kicking out and causing some serious damage to yourself and the car/parts.
That being said I've seen some pretty craptastic spring compressors also.
If you want a real thrill take apart the air brake canister on a rig, loosen the bolt that runs through the center to.release the spring.. (maybe) and undo the band that holds the two halves together.. it either comes apart as it should or its a large grenade!.... Missing fingers and teeth!

97MarkJA is right. I understand and have seen it done before. I have also seen people use hose clamps. I do some afro engeneering on stuff too but after seeing a couple springs break someones jaw and someone elses hand doing something similar it made me a firm believer in using the proper tool for the job.
I also dont like certain spring compressors too. It is mechanics work and I guess there are certain dangers that have to be accepted I just like to try and minimize them.

That being said I have used a chitty spring compressor before that let loose and pinned both of my thumbs to a LCA by the spring. Man was that fun freeing myself with nobody around to hear me scream. :lol:

Almost the same reason I stopped using spring compressors on the t-bird springs. I had one bow, slip out of the compressor and almost take my face off. I have never once had the spring try to jump out while doing it on the car. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

-Alan

That being said I've seen some pretty craptastic spring compressors also.
If you want a real thrill take apart the air brake canister on a rig, loosen the bolt that runs through the center to.release the spring.. (maybe) and undo the band that holds the two halves together.. it either comes apart as it should or its a large grenade!.... Missing fingers and teeth!

LOL.

On 60's unibody fords, take the bolts off the A frame in the engine compartment, hit the studs with a hammer.
Instant front end parts. :D

Almost the same reason I stopped using spring compressors on the t-bird springs. I had one bow, slip out of the compressor and almost take my face off. I have never once had the spring try to jump out while doing it on the car. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

-Alan

Alan, use a better spring compressor.

If I run across the freeway, and never get hit by a car.
Is it smart to continue to do it?

Just sayin....

Y'all do your thing and I will do mine. If you don't feel comfortable don't do it I promise i won't make you. I have been messing with these cars way to long to argue over someone's opinion. I offered a suggestion; the OP has seen your opinions of the suggestion. He is free to do what suits him the best, but please don't try to argue with me about how I do things.

-Alan

Y'all do your thing and I will do mine. If you don't feel comfortable don't do it I promise i won't make you. I have been messing with these cars way to long to argue over someone's opinion. I offered a suggestion; the OP has seen your opinions of the suggestion. He is free to do what suits him the best, but please don't try to argue with me about how I do things.

-Alan

Here here. Now that we are all in agreement to disagree.

Just want to remind everyone of my bad luck and how I have to buy not one strut but 2 as I can't find a single tokico. (haven't tried the tokico site yet. That's next ... but.. )

This is teh suck.

edit: getting it through a manufacturer re-seller for 80$. But it takes a week to get here.

Yay

Agreed. Glad you found the shock but it does suck to have to wait so long. Good luck on getting everything straightened out and back on the road.

-Alan

Do what you wish.
Frankly Alan I don't give a dam.

Anyone else reading this, use the proper tool.

Here here. Now that we are all in agreement to disagree.

Just want to remind everyone of my bad luck and how I have to buy not one strut but 2 as I can't find a single tokico. (haven't tried the tokico site yet. That's next ... but.. )

This is teh suck.

edit: getting it through a manufacturer re-seller for 80$. But it takes a week to get here.

Yay
You dont have bad luck, you make poor decisions.

Members online

Back