I know this recall concerns most of us...

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
;)

Recall for the rich: Bentley replacing ornament
By DAVID RISING, Associated Press Writer David Rising, Associated Press

capt.04275f6e17d34581acd3136fba6c2d32-04275f6e17d34581acd3136fba6c2d32-0.jpg

BERLIN – Luxury carmaker Bentley is recalling 820 cars worldwide over fears that its famous "Winged B" hood ornament could injure people in an accident because it might not properly retract.

Bentley Motors' European head office in Berlin said Thursday the recall affects 620 cars in the United States and Canada and 200 in Europe who added the raised hood ornament as an option on Arnage, Brooklands and Azure models made between October 2006 and March 2009.

The company says no injuries have been reported but a Bentley dealer noticed the spring mechanism under the ornament has a tendency to corrode and might not always function properly.

The fear is that if the hood ornament does not retract, it could increase the risk of injury to a pedestrian in the event of a crash, the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its website.

"The recall is rather theoretical," said company spokesman Richard Durbin in a telephone interview from Crewe, England, where Bentley cars are produced. "If it were struck by something, we want it to retract as quickly as possible and in some instances it's not doing it."

He added the hood ornament itself is unaffected by corrosion because it is stainless steel.

Bentley, owned by Germany's Volkswagen AG, will replace the mechanism free and says the work takes about an hour to complete.

That has got to be the most pointless recall ever. I would be scared to know how much it is going to cost the company to replace these hood ornaments LOL

I'm all for safety to a point, but designing the front end of a vehicle specifically around hitting a human being is ridiculous. This recall is, in a word, redundant.

apparently Bentley things it's owners are going to play Grand Theft Auto......

Well, if I ever do get knocked down by a car, I'd rather it be one like that and not a 'riced out' Honda Civic, or Kia Soul, for that matter! :D

I received the recall letter 3 weeks ago, followed by a phone call from Bentley's world class customer service personnel.

As he picked out the GT, I won't be able to get my Bentley GT into the dealership until my butler returns from his yearly 6 month tour of Africa vacation. :lol:

No, I'd never own a Bentley. IMHO those cars are attention whores.

Frog - you have got to quit letting Jeeves have those 6 month vacations each year - the rest of us have to listen our butlers moan and complain that they only get 4 months... ;)

if im getting hit by a Bentley, the least of my concerns are being impaled by the hood ornament

Wait...isn't impaling peasants with one's hood ornament one of the benefits of owning a Bentley?

I think KK you would rather have a Veyron....

Sooner - 'biff out of my way peasant' - I like it.

NYC I'm suptised you missed the "tha'ts" as well...tisk tisk....lazy grammar nazi

Members online

Back