I Know I know it has been touched before...but I need HELP!!

JennsLincolnLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
First of all I know that this is a common issue from reading on this site, however almost all the info that i am finding is for the V8 Lincoln Ls and does me absolutely no good as I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V6. Can someone either point me in the direction of A. How to do the valve cover gasket job on a Lincoln LS v6 or walk me through it and B. Tell me where to go to find exactly all the parts I need and maybe how much they might run me?
Here's the situation, I just did the spark plugs on my LS and yes I did them! Not car savvy and needed some help actually getting the plugs out but when we did there was oil on the 3,2,1 and 6 spark plugs and oil on the 3 and 2 coil packs. I recently replaced the coilpak on number 6 and there was no oil on it at that time either. I have read that this is a common problem and not too difficult to do on your own, however, I am having difficulty finding the info for the v6. PLEASE HELP!!!
THANX IN ADVANCE
JENN

Does it make a difference that the car there is a v8 and mine is a v6? Is it still the same parts and everything or is it different....I found these on rockauto.com are they right?
VICTOR REINZ Part # VS50396
FEL-PRO Part # VS50610R
do i need both or just one?
Sorry I am new to this....

I would buy the valve cover gaskets from Ford. Or order them from Max at Chapman Ford who is a member here (mrzee screen name). They will need your VIN to get you the parts specific for your car.

I have done this job

I did this on my 01V6 a few years ago. You will need valve cover gaskets, i used the Felpro, they come in sets. Also you should replace the PCV valve and rubber elbow while you're in there. You can cut corners to get room to replace the valve cover gaskets. don't disconnect the throttle body cables, just disconnect the throttle body and move it aside. Also replace the intake manifold gaskets since you're going to replace the pcv valve also. All told it costs about $200. if you have not replaced all coils and plugs, now is the time.
good luck. I found taking it all apart in the evening, like friday night, then putting it back together after you get a nights sleep is easier.

@ Tireman: Thank you, your advice is greatly appreciated! I will do it this weekend as you suggested and take it apart today and put it together tomorrow. If I need anymore help you can be sure I'll be back!!!
Jenn

Day 1....over...

So just to update you all on my progress, I have just completed day one of attempting valve cover gaskets...and egr issue, the check engine light is now because of a P1409 code....egr vacuum issue? I am trying to not have to replace the Vacuum selonoid...but could use some advice on the issue...and the right side is completely apart and the intake manifold is 90% off of the left side. I am making progress but it is a slow go...and why can't I find the PCV valve??? Location anyone?? Other than losing my online repair manual today because my computer died I don't think anything significant went wrong. I did rip a rubber piece off the intake of the left side, but I believe it to be replaceable, and breaking a retainer clip I think I did OK. I have never, and I mean never, done any kind of work like this on any car let alone one this nice, and if I do do the work, such as last weekend doing the plugs, I have supervision of a mechanic friend. Today I had NO ONE...other than this forum and an online repair manual that abandoned me halfway through the day because i forgot my charging cord for my laptop, I still think I did alright. I will post pics tomorrow of where I am at with my progress and hopefully you guys won't mind pointing out things I may have missed. I think I'm on my own tomorrow too...pray for me. Any pointers on this job will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much,
Jennifer :D

Jennifer - sounds like you have made really good headway on this one. I too have a 2001 LS V6 and I have done lots of work on it myself (including plugs and coils), but I did NOT have the confidence to dig into the valve cover gaskets (although in fairness, it was a couple of years ago and the shop discovered that they were leaking when they were fixing something else unrelated, so I told them to just do it.). Some time after that I did remove the upper and lower intake myself in order to replace the little right angled elbow hose that resides in the V between the cylinder banks. So, be SURE and change that hose while u have access to the top of the engine (it's cheap, but a real PITA if it fails - which it will every 5 years or so).

Jennifer - sounds like you have made really good headway on this one. I too have a 2001 LS V6 and I have done lots of work on it myself (including plugs and coils), but I did NOT have the confidence to dig into the valve cover gaskets (although in fairness, it was a couple of years ago and the shop discovered that they were leaking when they were fixing something else unrelated, so I told them to just do it.). Some time after that I did remove the upper and lower intake myself in order to replace the little right angled elbow hose that resides in the V between the cylinder banks. So, be SURE and change that hose while u have access to the top of the engine (it's cheap, but a real PITA if it fails - which it will every 5 years or so).

Do you mean the PCV Valve elbow???
Jennifer

I have yet another issue...sorry....

I just remember things as they come to me and I'm trying to solve one problem first....so the cover gaskets get it this weekend. But I get heat out of my climate control when it is on mixed air IE defrost and heat, but it takes FOREVER to warm up and doesn't blow hot hot air just warm. Out of the regular defrost it blows COLD air, no warm air at all, I have just had the thermostat and thermostat housing and all upper radiator hoses replaced (I had the shop do that silly me), so I know it isn't that but could it be the heater core? And if so why am I getting heat on some settings and not others? Please advise!!!
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hats off for Jenn! There are many here who would not tackle the job you've embarked on. Go For It!! and welcome if you didn't get one previously!! (Now if I was only about fifty years younger...) ;)

KS

Day 2...and I'm at an impass...

So here I am on day two and I have everything taken apart....but I failed to preorder the upper intake gaskets (which I think someone told me to do so it's on me) and they won't be here till tomorrow....so it gets to sit in pieces until tomorrow when I can get the 2 remaining parts I need and put it back together :D
So far confidence is building....I just have to remember how to put it together tomorrow and I know to use the sealant SPARINGLY...but what do I use the dielectric grease for and the antisieze I am very much a novice at this and do not know :)
Jennifer

ok Jenn

so you have removed the lower intake manifold (center of engine) and looked underneath the fuel rail. towards the rear of the engine you will see the rubber PCV elbow connected to the little box like thing laying flat on the engine. If you remove the fuel rail bracket nut at the front of the engine, you will get enough wiggle room to remove the PCV (a plastic pipe piece threaded into the little box on the rear) and elbow and install new ones. No sealant necessary here. the PCV maybe stuck, so a pair of channel locks pliers can grab and twist. Its a short twist, just look at the new one you bought. the long pcv hose from the throttle body to the pcv elbow needs to be in perfect condition too. No tears in the rubber boots at each end. once these two items are installed you can go ahead and install the new manifold gaskets and start the rebuild. no sealants needed. Just be careful to not overtighten the bolts and crack the plastic pieces. reinstall the fuel rail bracket. install the gaskets on the valve covers and round ones for the spark plug areas, then the little "O" gaskets on the bolts. no sealant needed. Just put them on and tighten them down without crushing them.

...but what do I use the dielectric grease for and the antisieze I am very much a novice at this and do not know :)
Jennifer

Both materials are commonly associated with changing sparkplugs. The grease will help eliminate corrosion in the connection of the COP to the upper end of the plug.
The antisieze is used to keep the steel threads on the sparkplugs from sticking to, and doing damage to the aluminium threads in the head.

KS

I just remember things as they come to me and I'm trying to solve one problem first....so the cover gaskets get it this weekend. But I get heat out of my climate control when it is on mixed air IE defrost and heat, but it takes FOREVER to warm up and doesn't blow hot hot air just warm. Out of the regular defrost it blows COLD air, no warm air at all, I have just had the thermostat and thermostat housing and all upper radiator hoses replaced (I had the shop do that silly me), so I know it isn't that but could it be the heater core? And if so why am I getting heat on some settings and not others? Please advise!!!
Thanks,
Jennifer

Sounds like the DCCV (Dual Climate Control Valve) is going bad. Mine acts up occasionally so will need to be replaced eventually. Perhaps someone who has replaced theirs can chime in?

Good luck on the rest of the work, you're a good part of the way there! Don't rush though, only costs you in the end lol. My gaskets are leaking a bit now too (V8 with 130kmi) so I'll have to tackle them this summer myself!

-Matt

Thanks,
Jennifer

I vote for it being the DCCV as well.

so you have removed the lower intake manifold (center of engine) and looked underneath the fuel rail. towards the rear of the engine you will see the rubber PCV elbow connected to the little box like thing laying flat on the engine. If you remove the fuel rail bracket nut at the front of the engine, you will get enough wiggle room to remove the PCV (a plastic pipe piece threaded into the little box on the rear) and elbow and install new ones. No sealant necessary here. the PCV maybe stuck, so a pair of channel locks pliers can grab and twist. Its a short twist, just look at the new one you bought. the long pcv hose from the throttle body to the pcv elbow needs to be in perfect condition too. No tears in the rubber boots at each end. once these two items are installed you can go ahead and install the new manifold gaskets and start the rebuild. no sealants needed. Just be careful to not overtighten the bolts and crack the plastic pieces. reinstall the fuel rail bracket. install the gaskets on the valve covers and round ones for the spark plug areas, then the little "O" gaskets on the bolts. no sealant needed. Just put them on and tighten them down without crushing them.

This doesn't make sense when I look at my engine...I will post pics first thing in the am as I don't see any of these things when I look at my engine....I have the 1st gen v6 not a v8....it is different right??

This doesn't make sense when I look at my engine...I will post pics first thing in the am as I don't see any of these things when I look at my engine....I have the 1st gen v6 not a v8....it is different right??

He was describing a V6, not the V8. You should see those things.

He was describing a V6, not the V8. You should see those things.

I think I did not take it apart far enough to see those things I only took off the plunum?, the upper intake?? I think I must take it apart further and do those gaskets too....terrific...
Thank you all for your help....I will tackle this tomorrow.
Jennifer

torque wrench??

Do I need a torque wrench to torque down my intake manifold??
Please advise yet again....
Thanks,
Jennifer

Do I need a torque wrench to torque down my intake manifold??
Please advise yet again....
Thanks,
Jennifer

It would be best. If you'd done a bunch before, you could probably do it by feel and be good enough. I'm assuming that you haven't.

Harbor Freight has some cheap ones that would be good enough for this. Conversely, if you're trying to build up a good tool set, you may want to go to Sears (or similar) instead.

Thank you Joe
Now for the next question, I found the little black box that everyone was talking about does it come off to get the pcv valve off? I'm stuck trying to get the pcv valve off now any pointers would be helpful, btw we found a MOUSE NEST in my intake!!! Thanks guys....
Jennifer

Pics...

Here is the pcv valve...now how exactly do I get it off?
Thank you all for your help!
Jennifer

Car Pics 001.jpg

Car Pics 002.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back