I cant open my rear door???

wesc

New LVC Member
Reaction score
so, my rear passenger door wont open.

I cant open it to take it apart and i cant really see whats wrong with it- im guessing its the cable - the plastic chrome piece that hold the cable doesnt seem to be broken - (which just broke on my driver's door) and it cant be opened by the inside or outside handle.

any ideas on how to open it would be greatly appreciated - or even what parts are related to this problem as i am trying to order some parts from five star ford for my other broken door handle.

thanks in advance.

had this happen on an old Chebie Malibu. Had to go throught driver side and remove the back seat so I could get the door panel off enough to pop open the latch.

Sorry guy, this happened to me twice. good luck. do a search, i did a write up on it. basically, you have to take your door panel off from the inside, take your outside door handle off from the inside, break the latch assembly apart after you get the outside door handle off. and then replace the latch/lock assembly. problems you will run into are as follows: first you wont be able to get all the screws out of the door pane. (will cause some damage, but if you are patient you can minimize it) 2nd hopefully your hands and arms are small like mine ( weigh 140 soaking wet) you have to get a wrench inside the door far enough to take off the nuts that hold the outside door handle off. 3rd due to the lock assembly being all in one piece and sealed you have to break it apart to open the door. once again be patient or you will f something else up. once you get the door open, there are like 3 screws that hold the latch assembly to the door. ( these are on the doorside jam) make sure you have the new part, due to the fact you are breaking the latch assembly.

Sorry guy, this happened to me twice. good luck. do a search, i did a write up on it. basically, you have to take your door panel off from the inside, take your outside door handle off from the inside, break the latch assembly apart after you get the outside door handle off. and then replace the latch/lock assembly. problems you will run into are as follows: first you wont be able to get all the screws out of the door pane. (will cause some damage, but if you are patient you can minimize it) 2nd hopefully your hands and arms are small like mine ( weigh 140 soaking wet) you have to get a wrench inside the door far enough to take off the nuts that hold the outside door handle off. 3rd due to the lock assembly being all in one piece and sealed you have to break it apart to open the door. once again be patient or you will f something else up. once you get the door open, there are like 3 screws that hold the latch assembly to the door. ( these are on the doorside jam) make sure you have the new part, due to the fact you are breaking the latch assembly.

OUCH!

My dad had this problem a number of times on his SHO. I was always able to get it open by rolling down the window and dueshing down the latch with WD-40 through the opening. Usually it took a couple of days to free up. He didn't use his rear doors much and the latches quit working. I'm not sure what the LS malfunction is, but it's worth a try.

decibels5 please post a link. I couldn't find your thread.

thanks for all the help guys - ill get after it and let you know how things go.

Members online

Back