hydraulic fan

girty

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I think my fan went out but not sure ! the temp goes up and down but when im on the highway it stays in the normal range. but soon as i get home and shut the car off the temp gauge spikes high. could this be the fan i thought maybe the the thermostate( spelling) was going out, what are my options if it is the fan ? are they exspensive? I have a 2000 LS V6

to test the fan - start your car and turn the AC on max - that will automatically turn on the fan.

then - check the resivor for fluid level - it uses mercon iii atf.

the fan is working and now i don't have a clue on what the problem my be? it may be the thermostat where is that located on a 2000 V6 LS and is it hard to get too? is it hard to change the stat? everything with this vehicle hard to fix !! lol

correct - the thermostat is the common failure....

sorry on the fix - I only know the V8... which is three bolts.

ok thanks anybody know where the thermostat is located on the V6 lincoln LS 2000? any pics would be great

Don't mean to steal the thread or anything but I have a question about the hydro fan...
Whe the A/C is ON, and the engine is at idle, what makes the fan spin faster?

Have you checked the fluid level? Something similar happened to me several months ago, it turned out to be marginally low fluid level, I added the fluid and everything was fine.

no i haven't BUT I will is it the two resiovar on the sides? i can't spell for crap

not sure now if you're asking where the tank is for the coolant or the fan fluid...

Fan fluid - passenger side between the shock tower and the ABS module
Engine Coolant - driver side at the top near the windshield - top through the plastic cowl.

ok the fluid was low but not by much i filled it to the middle and it still is running hot, i think its the thermostat but i can't seem to find where its located! does anybody know where its located and if any pics would be great!!!!

Follow the upper radiator hose to where it is connected to the engine. Should be an outlet flange with 2 or 3 bolts holding it to the engine. Remove the hose, then remove the bolts and the thermostat should be under/behind that.
(Unless its ghetto like my truck where its on the side of the water pump by the lower radiator hose. But I doubt the LS is like that.)

ok looked at what ur talking about but the hose forks and the part to the motor is very small dought it could house the stat there?think it could be below by the radiater????? anybody know????

Sorry man, I have no clue what the 3.0 in these things looks like. :p But It will deffinately have to be a large hose that comes out of the engine and goes to the top corner of the radiator.

anybody know where the thermostat is located on the 2000 LS V6??

You have to remove the air cleaner outlet tube to get to it. The thermostat housing has a large hose going into it from the top and a large hose coming out of it from the bottom with another hose coming out at a right angle to the other hoses. Only two bolts have to be removed to get to the thermostat. It looks like a really easy thing to change.

Yep, when you open the hood and look at the hoses, there is a large black plastic piece in-between the front of the engine and the radiator. It has hoses coming off in almost every direction.

There is a hose going down from the right hand (drivers) side of it.
At the bottom of this is a silver metal housing that is suspended merely by the hoses.
It is not attached to anything else.
That is the thermostat housing.
Inside this is the thermostat.

Be VERY careful removing hoses if you take any off of that black plastic thing at the top. I think I paid $145 for that black plastic piece at the top. It comes with all the hoses, but still!

THANKS! ok another question ...can u run the LS WITHOUT the stat? i had a truck that u could do that to and when winter came we just put one in....

I would think it might screw up the emission controls. But even if it didn't, why would you want to take it apart twice to replace it? The thermostat doesn't cost that much and it is close to the end of its life anyway with it being the wax pellet type.

Yes - you can run the LS without a t-stat - but if you live in a cold area and the car never gets up to temp - the emission controls will never 'go ready' - meaning you will not pass your emissions test (if you have one)

Thanks i live in the mountains of NCarolina and it still gets hot here but not like Austin!!! have two sisters that live in Roundrock. and i live on The Cherokee Indian Resavation and the part store is about 30 mins away... but i think i will install a stat...

hot here today - 140 at 5pm (on my car...) at 2pm it read 149....

IMAGE_00004.jpg

Thats the temp of the hood of his car, not the air temp. :p It doesn't take long for a black car to get hot in direct sunlight. I burned myself many times on the door handle of my Caddy after it had been in the afternoon sun for even as little as 15 minutes.

Members online

Back