How to wire LED tail lights

Your problem is having an LED bulb that doesn't support negative trigger, but I think I said that already. If you search, there are some posts on the electronic or relay circuits that you can rig to make it work.
I thought alax was referring to my post, that's why I put that up. Yeah I'm not good with resistors and that crap but I'm gonna give it a try.

Blink?

Maybe you're referring to the turn bulbs then. Since this is the LED brake light thread, I assumed you were talking about brake lights not turn lights/running lights.

I dont knowhow to fix those, like having switchbacks. On gen2s if you install 4 of the same led bulbs from v-leds, you dont get a bulb out message.

I'm having a guy at work solder the resistors in the taillight harnesses, so I came up with this little wiring diagram in addition to the pic Alax made up, just in case he had any questions...

I figured I'd share it in this thread just in case it could help anyone else

Attachments

• LED Wiring Diagram.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 361
i have a 06 ls and installed leds in the brake light section and wired the 10 w 100 ohm resistors as shown in the diagram yet im still getting the check brake lamps msg. i installed the resistors after the gromet closer to the tail lense itself. could that be the reason the error is showing on the msg center? i just thought as long as i did the orange to blue first before the blue to blue that i should be fine. any input is appreciated.

Are you sure you wired it in the correct way as in the "diagram"?

Did you use the same bulb I posted in the first post?

no i bought a cheap bulb until i could get the others cause they were on back order. i bought the cheap set from amazon. the ones from vled that are $59 just got in stock yesterday. is that the reason im getting the msg?

no i bought a cheap bulb until i could get the others cause they were on back order. i bought the cheap set from amazon. the ones from vled that are $59 just got in stock yesterday. is that the reason im getting the msg?

Thats your problem, each LED bulb is different. An led bulb is not like a filament bulb. For the bulb out warning not to come up, there has to be a certain amount of resistance. Using different led bulbs will change the resistance the car is seeing with the resistor values I used and the bulb you're using.

If you want a guaranteed way for it to work, use what I used.

You can make yours work, you just have to figure out the values that will give you the resistance needed in your specific application.

well ok atleast now i know. and now that the bulbs you have are in stock now ill order some of those anyway. i just got these cause i was going to tint my tails two tone kind of like andrizzles old ones and wanted led bulbs instead of filament so the tint wouldnt crack. thanks for your help.

V LEDs has a sale this weekend, so I would jump on it before Tuesday!

i just ordered them. the coupon saved me 6 bucks. after tinting my tails angel eyes is next.

Pics

uploadfromtaptalk1387665893305.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387665903966.jpg

Alax, in your diagram, which wire is constant, switched, and ground?

Example: Minor = switched, major = constant and ground is obviously ground. Which wire do I connect the resistor to in parallel, and which in series.

Hi guys I'm new here, I have a 05 ls sport and I'm not sure why resistors are required. Does this only apply to the brake/ parking light or as well on the turn signal? I converted my turn signals to red LED( I think it looks sick with the clear housing). Those where just plug and play, as I got not error messages.

Welcome

If you use 4 LED turn bulbs, you will NOT get an error message, from v-leds that is, don't know about other ones.

If you use LED brake lights without resistors, you WILL get an error message only when the parking lights are on and the brakes are pressed or when the headlights are on and the brakes are pressed. Basically, you'll get the error message when the brake lights are on due to the headlights being on, as in brakes lights are on but dim during night time driving, but should light up fully when the brake is pressed.

Since LEDs require so little power to light up fully, they light up fully even though the brake pedal is not pressed. This seems like you are always braking, then when you actually brake and the bulb gets more power, since its already at full brightness, it can't light up anymore and cannot show cars that you are braking. This is where the error message comes in and why you can't use them without resistors.

One resistor dims the lights under little power so they are not fully lit while just driving, when full power is sent by braking, the bulb fully lights up now. The second resistor acts as the resistance of the filament bulb to get rid of the error message.

i would also add that different companies make their bulbs differently, some do not need resistors some do...

when I started converting to LED bulbs, I did all of the turn signals, and I did not need to get any resistors as i did not get any bulb out warnings, but the bulbs I had were very low quality and individual LEDs kept burning out (well not really burning out, but stopped lighting up...) so after replacing them a couple of time I went with a better built different brand, then these needed to have load resistors wired in to keep the bulb out error from coming on.

Welcome

If you use 4 LED turn bulbs, you will NOT get an error message, from v-leds that is, don't know about other ones.

If you use LED brake lights without resistors, you WILL get an error message only when the parking lights are on and the brakes are pressed or when the headlights are on and the brakes are pressed. Basically, you'll get the error message when the brake lights are on due to the headlights being on, as in brakes lights are on but dim during night time driving, but should light up fully when the brake is pressed.

Since LEDs require so little power to light up fully, they light up fully even though the brake pedal is not pressed. This seems like you are always braking, then when you actually brake and the bulb gets more power, since its already at full brightness, it can't light up anymore and cannot show cars that you are braking. This is where the error message comes in and why you can't use them without resistors.

One resistor dims the lights under little power so they are not fully lit while just driving, when full power is sent by braking, the bulb fully lights up now. The second resistor acts as the resistance of the filament bulb to get rid of the error message.

Thank you for the explaination. That makes sense. :yourock:

*7 years later...lol*

I just did this with my tail lights, used 2 10w 100ohm resistors, exactly as the diagram shows, the lights work as they should, and i dont get "check brake lights" but i still get "check tail lights" warning message. i have a gen 2 2005 LS Sport. I used these bulbs

Amazon product ASIN B00PHUMFEW
and these resistors

Amazon product ASIN B07KYG3N3R
anybody know why i still get check tail lights and how i can fix it?

Also, I can't believe the prices that v LED store is charging! Like is that a joke? Theyre smoking crack if they think I'm gonna pay $180 for a set of LED bulbs. A set of LED bulbs that cost them less than a dollar to manufacture, and that I can get similar quality for 20 bucks on amazon...And if I payed $180 for bulbs and STILL had to wire my own resistors, ya better believe they're getting sent back. For $180 they should install themselves

Not sure the resistance the computer is looking for, but your LEDs could just be affecting that. Try using higher values in the same configuration to see if that works. LED bulbs have resistors to protect them from being overdriven and blowing up so yours might have a lower resistance than the V-LEDs one did, trial and error. Post what works for you if you figure it.

Ya i was going to try different size resistors but wasn't sure what to get jus cuz like u said, idk what resistance the computer is looking for. I suppose i could measure the resistance of the old bulbs huh? And get something that closely matches? I'm guessing it's probably pretty close, since the brake lights dont give me a warning anymore. U think it would likely be MORE resistance I'd need? Not lower?

Members online

Back