how to remove trim piece around ignition switch

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
How is it removed on a gen II? Do I have to remove the ignition switch to get it off? If so, How does it come out?

Previous owner had 20 keys on a ring and the trim piece looks less than stellar. It is mainly the coating, but the plastic underneath is also gouged.

I want to wrap it with vinyl that matches some other work I have done. I don't want to wrap everything, but might as well cover the rubber coated but rubbed off pieces (and anything wood).

I have done the radio surround, cup holder flat, ashtray door, and filler piece. The wood on the doors and the door handle cups are next. I will try to stop at that point, but might try something on the exterior like the taillight surrounds and the letters on the neon (and top of bottom of it).

Just like every other Ford of that era. There's a small pinhole on the underside of the trim piece that isn't for a screw. Put your key in, turn it to the on position but don't start the car. Insert something long and thin enough and depress the switch up in that hole. Pull the lock cylinder out while simultaneously depressing that small button.

Thanks, that also answers my question of if I can pull one from a car in the junk yard without the key, and the answer is not easily.

I looked around for the hole to use to release the cylinder, as this isn't in the column but the dash, and seems pretty complex compared to ones I have pulled from a column.

I might go and try one more time in the junk yard, the car won't be there many more days, so at this point I am all for breaking things to see if I can get it out.

They moved the ignition cylinder from the column to the dash for Gen 2? That's a bummer. That info is for Gen 1 only then. I know it works for Gen 1, I just did it two weeks ago.

You never know and might hit the lottery with a junkyard. I've occasionally seen the key left in the ignition in junkyard cars.

I already scoured the car for the key, as I would like the PATs chip for a second non PATs key or for a remote start. It seemed to be an abandoned car, no real accident damage or mechanical damage, other than neglect.

On gen 2 you do have to remove lock cylinder to gain access to 2 screws that hold trim piece on from the back side. Hole in lock cylinder is definitely harder to find on gen 2's Hole is straight up and not really a hole per say, and hard to see laying on your back. I use a small piece of coat hanger to remove them.

I already scoured the car for the key, as I would like the PATs chip for a second non PATs key or for a remote start. It seemed to be an abandoned car, no real accident damage or mechanical damage, other than neglect.

Iirc you have to remove the ign and then the bezel from the rear. Just basing this on what I think I read a while ago...

Edit:

Jamie97lsc-

i assume you mean in a 97 or 98. no it doesnt pop off, you have to get under the dash and undo 2 seven mm screws holding the ignition cylinder to the dash, then you have to turn the key on acc position, and push on a silver button on the side of the cylinder towards the stereo, you cant see it, you cant feel it, you cant understand what the hell ford was thinking, but once you push the button and pull the key and lock cylinder out, the bezel will pop off, if you try to pull the cover off without doing this, you'll break it, or , never get it back on. it took me a few different 2nd gens before i realized how to get it off the right way, i have a special pick that is bent just right to push the button blind, i know where it is now even though i cannot see it, now i have them off in minutes, but it is a bear to get it off the first time, it sucks and you will get mad!!!

http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/d...ic_id=10684&mesg_id=10684&listing_type=search

Last edited:
I didn't need to remove any screws when I changed my ignition cylinder.
Turn key to on, depress the detent (which IS a PITA to find) and slide the cylinder out.
The bezel pops right out then.

I will have to just use the one currently in my car, as the junk yard car doesn't have the key, I will try it at some point, thanks for all the information. It isn't as obvious as it is in cars with the switches on the column.

I will have to just use the one currently in my car, as the junk yard car doesn't have the key, I will try it at some point, thanks for all the information. It isn't as obvious as it is in cars with the switches on the column.

You can drill it out fairly easily with a hole saw bit.

Members online

No members online now.
Back