How to mount front license plate?

cableguynoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So my wife got pulled over for speeding... and probably thanks to the cleavage she was showing that day :mad: , he let her go with just a fix it ticket.... No front lisence plate!

So I do have the front license plate from when i got a new set.... but my LS has never had it. I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a mount for it... i looked at my bumber at didnt see any holes or anything like that.

Any ideas on how to quickly mount a license plate? I need to do it soon, since i've alreday procrastinated this long enogh, and we need to go get it signed off.

Any tips? Super glue?

just use zip ties. put it in the lower grille area.

I used 2 metal elbow brackets from home depot. I'll post up a couple pictures in a minute...

plate.jpg

plate2.jpg

honesty, there should be two hole in the middle of the front of the bumper where the license plate plastic mold goes, if you dont have the holes, or the mold for the plate, you could just pick a spot where you want the plate to go and screw the plate onto the bumper, the bumper is plastic/rubber and is easily drillable, but take your time so it doesnt look bootleg, also get a license plate frame to make the edge of the plate nicer looking, if you dont want to do this, maybe a junk yard for the front license plate molding for the LS, but dont super glue

yep, and it's easy to remove/replace. I plan on painting the brackets flat black so they blend in when the plate isn't there.

yep, and it's easy to remove/replace. I plan on painting the brackets flat black so they blend in when the plate isn't there.

Now where did that idea come from:rolleyes:

:D

Im so glad I dont have to have the front plates anymore.

Wow... that looks pretty good.
I'm going to try that tonight. If i cant find any brackets then I'll just zip tie it for now.

Thanks!

no prob. I had it zip tied to begin with, but I could never get it to sit straight. Other members here have used zip ties and it didn't look off, but for some reason I couldn't do it. The brackets were in the section where you buy door hinges I believe. There were door hinges and closet harware around the area, if that helps. Otherwise just go to a hardware store.

Nice avatar.:lol: I watched the Incredibles last night :D

Crazily enough, I have been running a fake plate or no plates at all on my wife's and mine and have never had a problem. Also many of our cars have been tinted. We have been in a few accidents (not our fault!) as well as pulled over a couple of times and never a problem. It is illegal in Ohio not to have front plates and to have the front windows tinted dark enough to look good. I just count it a blessing!!

Crazily enough, I have been running a fake plate or no plates at all on my wife's and mine and have never had a problem. Also many of our cars have been tinted. We have been in a few accidents (not our fault!) as well as pulled over a couple of times and never a problem. It is illegal in Ohio not to have front plates and to have the front windows tinted dark enough to look good. I just count it a blessing!!

stay in the burbs youll be all set, just dont drive through a drug neighborhood haha

The way pekte mounted his plate looks very clean and nice, I live in the desert with high heat and reluctant blocking any amount of air flow to the cooling elements.

x2 on pektal's mount. It looks alot better than a goofy mold in the middle of the bumper face.

I am very fortunate to live in a state without front plate laws.

If I was not fortunate like this, I would definitely mount one the way pektal has, it looks the cleanest for sure.

I personally like the zip tie method. And if you use the right colored zips, you can almost not even see them holding it on there. Pektel's is good too, but that's more work, imo.

P8153946.jpg

P8153965.jpg

P4233567.JPG

P4233566.JPG

Yep, you are one of the "other members" I was referring to that got the plate to sit straight.

Pete, Yours looks like a great idea and if you want to remove the plate and the brackets you will not see the holes.

I have mine mounted from below using a sheet of aluminum that is 8 1/2 * 11 with a bend in it. It is attached to the plastic cover below. See my avatar. Personally I like Pete's better and I have never had an airflow problem with mine even though it does block some of the grille intake. I also don't like the holes in the bumper that the OEM plate mount makes.

I also used zip ties, but I added a generic license frame backer, the plate itself, then a nice frame to finish it off.
I have been running like this for 2 years with no heating/cooling issues.

No love on the zip ties if its a fix it ticket, at least in Cali. I had the same thought, went to get it signed off, the chp officer laughed at me, shook his head and said try again.. Dick. :mad:

Shoot Hite337 a PM, he makes custom front license plate brackets. May help you avoid anymore tickets while keeping your front end looking decent.

Members online

No members online now.
Back