How the F do you guys remove the oil filter

rsimmons1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It's on there good and my hand doesn't fit in there. Can't get any leverage. Call me a noob/idiot w/e but this is my first time ever changing oil myself and I was under the impression these things just twisted off.

It's on there good and my hand doesn't fit in there. Can't get any leverage. Call me a noob/idiot w/e but this is my first time ever changing oil myself and I was under the impression these things just twisted off.

If a conventional filter removal tool doesn't work drive a screwdriver through the filter and twist. To prevent future problems I use a K&N filter.

Do not use the filter wrench to put it back on.

Do you have a buddy that can help...if you don't do a few things right you may have a mess on your hands.

Very carefully and usually with my hands, nah who am I kidding oil changes are the only I don't do myself, cost 2 times as much as the local dealer I used to work at charges. Other wise I would. However when I was an oil changer there some time ago we always used filter wrenches to take off. Also a rag soaked in brake cleaner gets a good grip. Just make sure the gasket comes off with the filter or you will has less than desirable results.

One of these guys. If I remember correctly it is type B.

OTC_6901_GM_Oil_FIlter_Wrench.jpg

Alright well this is going to be an expensive oil change. I'll just pour the new oil in, go to autozone for the tool + 7 more quarts of oil, drive home and re-do it. I wish Hercules didn't install this one damnit.

I'll definitely be getting one of those, thanks.
In my experience, the strap-type filter wrench works better on the LS V8. In addition to the advice about not using the wrench to install the filter, put a film of clean oil on the filter gasket before you install it; that will go a long way towards making the filter easier to remove next time. Also, before you install the new filter, check the mating surface on the filter mount to make sure it's smooth and clean.

lol, I bought both the socket and strap... the socket doesn't work and the strap is the wrong size... and my oil is drained again. Plus I was rushing and forgot to open the hole on the drain tub so it all overflowed on my garage floor. I'm too mad to be mad right now, it's just funny. I guess I'll get every mistake out of the way right now, it'll probably only take me 20 minutes next time. Funny thing is the only reason I wanted to change it myself (even though it costs ~$5 more than the dealer) is so I don't have to wait two hours at the dealer... I'm going on three hours now

lol, I bought both the socket and strap... the socket doesn't work and the strap is the wrong size... and my oil is drained again. Plus I was rushing and forgot to open the hole on the drain tub so it all overflowed on my garage floor. I'm too mad to be mad right now, it's just funny. I guess I'll get every mistake out of the way right now, it'll probably only take me 20 minutes next time. Funny thing is the only reason I wanted to change it myself (even though it costs ~$5 more than the dealer) is so I don't have to wait two hours at the dealer... I'm going on three hours now

You don't need to change the oil again just to change the filter... just do the filter

Well I finally got it off with the socket... and it's done. Now I need to clean up the gigantic puddle of oil off the floor. Thanks for the help you guys

Plus I was rushing and forgot to open the hole on the drain tub so it all overflowed on my garage floor.
I did that once when I was changing the oil on my Explorer; I'd just stood up and was looking down when I saw this pool of oil heading for my feet.

The next time I was very careful to pull the plug out of the hole. Imagine my shock when I stood up, looked down, and saw a pool of oil heading for my feet again--the oil had floated the damned plug over and sucked it back into the hole. :mad: Now I pull the stupid plug out and set it on the lift rail behind the passenger-side front tire; let's see the oil float that son of a gun back into the hole from there!:p

You don't need to change the oil again just to change the filter... just do the filter

Yep, just replace the 1/2 quart or so that drains from the filter and the upper engine.

Yep, just replace the 1/2 quart or so that drains from the filter and the upper engine.

Oh ok, hopefully this scenario won't happen again but if it does I won't waste 7 quarts of oil again :(

So... can oil be so clean that it doesn't show on the dipstick? I know for a fact there is 6.5 quarts in there but it's showing nothing

it may be hard to see fresh oil, but it definitely will show up on the dip stick.

if you dont see iany oil on the dip stick, you have a problem.

it may be hard to see fresh oil, but it definitely will show up on the dip stick.

if you dont see iany oil on the dip stick, you have a problem.

Yeah wtf... it started and I backed it out of the garage and onto the street. It seemed fine, I was going to top it off but I'm not getting a measurement.

Yeah wtf... it started and I backed it out of the garage and onto the street. It seemed fine, I was going to top it off but I'm not getting a measurement.

Touch it. You should be able to feel the oil. Hold a paper towel against it and you should be able to see where the stick is wet. If you are a couple of quarts or more low, then the stick will be dry.

BTW, just put a full seven quarts in to fill it up each time. 1/2 quart over won't hurt anything, but on both of mine it takes seven quarts to bring it to the full line anyway.

Touch it. You should be able to feel the oil. Hold a paper towel against it and you should be able to see where the stick is wet. If you are a couple of quarts or more low, then the stick will be dry.

BTW, just put a full seven quarts in to fill it up each time. 1/2 quart over won't hurt anything, but on both of mine it takes seven quarts to bring it to the full line anyway.

Bingo. Thanks man it showed up when I pressed the paper towel against it. With the full seven quarts it appeared to be the perfect level although hard to tell comparing the dipstick and paper towel side by side. This oil is like water, the stuff that drained out was dark brown.

Hit the gym :). Seriously though the oil filter wrenches work wonders. Just hand tighten when you're putting the new one on. Then you should just need the wrench to break it loose. Also, don't change it cold, at least that's what I've been told, read, and practice. Late to the punch but w/e.

Also, before you install the new filter, check the mating surface on the filter mount to make sure it's smooth and clean.

+1 You don't want to be the guy that starts going down the driveway spewing oil all over the place because the old seal separated from the oil filter and stuck to the filter mount. Luckily not on my LS but it's happened to me before, I nearly ****.

Hit the gym :). Seriously though the oil filter wrenches work wonders. Just hand tighten when you're putting the new one on. Then you should just need the wrench to break it loose. Also, don't change it cold, at least that's what I've been told, read, and practice. Late to the punch but w/e.

+1 You don't want to be the guy that starts going down the driveway spewing oil all over the place because the old seal separated from the oil filter and stuck to the filter mount. Luckily not on my LS but it's happened to me before, I nearly ****.

Haha that would suck. I suppose I would rather have my huge puddle than a path going down the driveway. It can always be worse right

This thread just reminded me of what i'm NOT missing out on anymore by changing the oil. It's also perfect justification for all the remote oil filter kits I used to put on my cars where the filter was a PITA. A 3.8L Mercury Cougar comes to mind specifically.

You know, I always use the wrench to put the filter back on, and have never had a problem. I run it up by hand until the seal hits and it just starts to resist, then use the wrench to go another half to three quarters turn. And that's the trick to using a wrench, is to pay attention to what you are doing and not just crank on it until the wrench won't turn anymore.

Members online

Back