How small crack cause leak degas bottle

Hernandez

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
yeah i saw my degas bottle and it has small cracks in the back, doesnt seem like its leaking from there but i guess because it didnt lose all the coolant. so could those small cracks be causing the leak?

Nope. It's the chihuahua in the trunk who's drinking the coolant.

Yes, those small cracks can leak. Cooling system gets pressurized when the car is running. Cracks expand with pressure. When they expand enough to let water molecules (small things that stuff is made from), under pressure, they leak.

oooh i really thought it was the chihuahua.
thanks. i've been readint that those 2 part epoxy will fix it because the cracks are really small. thanks again

oooh i really thought it was the chihuahua.
thanks. i've been readint that those 2 part epoxy will fix it because the cracks are really small. thanks again

Read again. Epoxy is hard, and the degas tank flexes every time the cooling system pressurizes. The epoxy will crack and fall off after a few cycles. Replace the tank (with a new one), or continue to have grief.

no, i dont have money

besides this is not another degas bottle threat i just wanted to know if those small cracks were the reason.

Yes they are the reason. You've got good advice in this thread. My advice is to take their's.

every PSI the cooling system runs increases the boiling point of the coolant by 3 degrees - so the cracks are not just causing an annoying leak but lowering your cooling system's boiling point and cause the a loss of coolant out the overflow when it prematurely boils....

every PSI the cooling system runs increases the boiling point of the coolant by 3 degrees - so the cracks are not just causing an annoying leak but lowering your cooling system's boiling point and cause the a loss of coolant out the overflow when it prematurely boils....

Just to add...

Water carries heat away from the engine quite well, but steam does not.

Members online

No members online now.
Back