how safe is it stock??

JHEARD

LVC Member
Reaction score
So far ive done alot to my 97 mark, and i cant find anybody in my area to take up the challenge of putting a sc on it. Im to busy to do it, but i have a company who will put a nos on it. i want to know will it hold a 100 shot safely in stock form, he said it will but i want to hear it from mark viii owners. let me know what you think. thanks

So far ive done alot to my 97 mark, and i cant find anybody in my area to take up the challenge of putting a sc on it. Im to busy to do it, but i have a company who will put a nos on it. i want to know will it hold a 100 shot safely in stock form, he said it will but i want to hear it from mark viii owners. let me know what you think. thanks

Yes

If done right.

PS, my shop will install a blower. :)

Thanks fellas. yeah they do top notch work, so i know it will be done right. I live in Michigan where is your shop at?

Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.

he didnt say which one yet he just told me what he can do for me, whats the diff between them. i just know he said it would be safe, he said he would put it on the dyno and get all the specs to tune it right.

Reciently? No. I am a closet fan though and have seen it more times then I care to admit. :lol:

Get a good tune and a wideband gauge to monitor your A/F ratios and you should be fine.

Not to step on toes but for a 100 shot none of that needed. You would spend more on those 2 then the whole NOS kit. They would be a nice addition thou.

Not to step on toes but for a 100 shot none of that needed. You would spend more on those 2 then the whole NOS kit. They would be a nice addition thou.

Sorry, I could be wrong but I thought that timing needs to be pulled in the tune when you run a shot of nitrous particularly 100+?? But, I'm open to discussion here because I may get the urge to spray mine.

Sorry, I could be wrong but I thought that timing needs to be pulled in the tune when you run a shot of nitrous particularly 100+?? But, I'm open to discussion here because I may get the urge to spray mine.

100 shot is tiny for a V8. Rule of thumb is 2 degrees retard every 50hp of shot.

Fast little run down. Back in the day 87-93 5.0 stangs base timing was 10 degrees(stock) we all would crank timing up to 14-16(NA) on 93 octane and have no problems and cars ran fastest. Now when shooting 150 shot we would pull out 6 degrees from the advanced of 16 back to the stock 10 BTDC base timing. This can be applied to the 4.6.

I've ran 75 dry shot completely stock a few times without any issues. I run a window switch turning the nitrous on between 3000 and 5800 RPM at WOT. Now I have a 255 fuel pump, a tune from Torrie, and 125 dry shot. I have jets for 150 shot but I want to put it on the dyno before I try running that. I've heard stock is safe up to a 125 shot but I can't verify that.

I don't have much personal experience with spray, but I will say a friend of mine has a '95 T-Bird 4.6 SOHC that he ran NOS on for a LONG time with no tune and no other major mods. He started out with a 75 shot, but would bump it up from time to time (not sure how long he ran it on the higher shots, but I would imagine knowing him, once he'd bump it up, he wouldn't go back to the lower shot anytime soon). I won't say that T-Bird runs 100% like it just came off the showroom floor-- it does smoke some now--, but if a high-mileage SOHC can handle that for as long as he had the spray on it, I would imagine you could get away with it too as long as you were smart about it. I actually owned that T-Bird for a few months last year (he'd already sold the NOS, so it was N/A when I had it), and it ran just fine. I ended up selling it back to him because he wanted it back, and, as much as I like the MN-12 T-Birds, they're still no Mark VIII.

I've hit the 125 button on a dry shot spraying through the MAF on a Mark VIII plenty with no related issues. Don't half ass the install, run 2 steps colder plugs for insurance, and you're fine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back