How much should I ask for the '96 D.A,?

OK, there is still one question that needs to be answered and it's what I first asked: If it was YOUR car and someone made you an offer for the WHOLE car (I'll still snag the air compressor) how much would they have to give you to make it worth selling the whole car rather than parting it?

Maybe you guys don't want to answer that because you WANT me to part it, but there was a guy interested awhile ago who was saying $600 max. I don't know if he is still interested. My friend said he was talking to a guy just the other day who was wondering if I would go $400. The first guy was hoping to restore it and he knows about the headgasket.

if you want quick and easy, take the 600 and say goodbye to it, simple and clean
- in parts, you'll probably get more EVENTUALLY, but it will be some work involved

Still weighing my options.

I called the scrap yard that gave me a good price for my Aurora. They will pick the car up but it has to roll. If I bring the car to them, then I can take the tires/rims off there, but if they pick it up, I can't get the tires/rims back.

I have two emergency spares. I could get two more cheap from u-pull. Would it roll onto their trailer on four emergency spares???

OK, there is still one question that needs to be answered and it's what I first asked: If it was YOUR car and someone made you an offer for the WHOLE car (I'll still snag the air compressor) how much would they have to give you to make it worth selling the whole car rather than parting it?

Maybe you guys don't want to answer that because you WANT me to part it, but there was a guy interested awhile ago who was saying $600 max. I don't know if he is still interested. My friend said he was talking to a guy just the other day who was wondering if I would go $400. The first guy was hoping to restore it and he knows about the headgasket.

$400-$600
Sell it, your time is worth something.

$400-$600
Sell it, your time is worth something.

Yeah, I tell the guys at work about all the stuff I do to these Mark VIIIs and they definitely think I am wasting too much time. I'm a family guy too. A soon to be single dad. I tell them I enjoy the work but the truth is I think I just talk myself into believing that. Life is short; I have better things to do.

I am cleaning up the DA now so I can get pics for Craigslist and also pics for here in case it doesn't sell and I end up parting it. I'm thinking a week or two max on Craigslist. I will respond to inquiries about parts after I see if it sells whole. I'll try to get the compressor off it this weekend. And the air ride computer. Where is the air ride computer?

Yeah, I tell the guys at work about all the stuff I do to these Mark VIIIs and they definitely think I am wasting too much time. I'm a family guy too. A soon to be single dad. I tell them I enjoy the work but the truth is I think I just talk myself into believing that. Life is short; I have better things to do.

I am cleaning up the DA now so I can get pics for Craigslist and also pics for here in case it doesn't sell and I end up parting it. I'm thinking a week or two max on Craigslist. I will respond to inquiries about parts after I see if it sells whole. I'll try to get the compressor off it this weekend. And the air ride computer. Where is the air ride computer?

Single Dad is a tough road, been there.
Good luck man.
If your getting the big D, go for joint physical custody.
Settle for nothing less no matter the cost.

Pull the compressor, forget the rest, maybe the ride height sensors if still there.
The air ride module is in the passenger kick panel it also controls your power steering speed I wouldn't mess with it.

2008-02-15_153044_57449094a.jpg

Can I get the compressor out without removing the bumper cover? I put new pump bushings in my other car and removed the bumper cover to do it. Some of the nuts were stuck and I broke one stud off. I don't want to risk breaking stuff if I don't have to. The Craigslist ad is up so I probably should get the compressor out tomorrow.

No bites at $750. I had one email where the guy said $400-$500. No other offers.

I've decided to get rid of the '96 Diamond Anniversary. I have a garage I could put it in, so parting it out is sort of an option. I think it just needs to be able to roll. Unless it's going to make me some good money though, I'd just as soon get rid of it ASAP. Here's some details:

1) There's not a whole lot of rust but there's some questionable paint and body work.

2) It has a brand new coil conversion but also has a new air ride computer and a new compressor. I could pull those before selling.

3) The suspension is pretty decent. The tires have decent tread. The ten spokes are in very good shape but aren't chrome.

4) The interior is maybe a 5. The driver's seat leather is in rough shape. The rear seat is in good shape.

5) It has a blown head gasket. It is still drivable, but if the coolant cap is left tight overnight, coolant will push into the cylinders. I have to leave the cap almost loose and then add coolant when it gets low.

173,000 miles. I think the tranny is OK, but I'm not positive because it has been doing some bucking lately. It could be the engine causing it.

I'm sure there's more I could tell, but you get the idea. I'd appreciate some opinions on what I should ask for it.....
I know Im going to get flamed for this comment.. and trust me i was always skeptical about it as well until i was forced as a last ditch effort to try it..

BARSLEAK Copper!! it says on the lable specifically for headgasket repair and to be added to any coolant without flushing it out.

I filled my system, got the system warm, opened fill tube port poured entire bottle in and within 20 min the car cooled right down. no more overheating and not issues its been a month.. it may not be a perm fix but if your like me i am in bad financial shape and still needed to use my car for work. i tried and honestly it worked in my case.

I know Im going to get flamed for this comment.. and trust me i was always skeptical about it as well until i was forced as a last ditch effort to try it..

BARSLEAK Copper!! it says on the lable specifically for headgasket repair and to be added to any coolant without flushing it out.

I filled my system, got the system warm, opened fill tube port poured entire bottle in and within 20 min the car cooled right down. no more overheating and not issues its been a month.. it may not be a perm fix but if your like me i am in bad financial shape and still needed to use my car for work. i tried and honestly it worked in my case.

It's very tempting to give it a try. I have already used Blue Devil which I think sealed it maybe 90% and worked for a few months. Then the leak became worse. Then I tried...now I forget the name...but it required me to flush the system, fill with water, add the stuff, run it for an hour, drain the system, leave it for 24 hours, and refill the system. This had the effect of cleaning the system very well including the remaining Blue Devil. The breach was WORSE after using the stuff.

The only reason I drive the car is because it keeps me from putting miles on MY OTHER MARK, however, I still have to pay insurance and I'm getting sick of that. I could sell them BOTH drop the insurance on both and drive my old Cadillac until I buy something decent. Then my son might buy the Cadillac.

All I can and will say is this. I didn't have the money for the Blue devil i hear it is probably the best but complicated to use lots of flushing of the system removing of the thermostat and then sitting for a day and such.. so i spent 30.00 for the barsleak copper for headgaskets.. i put directly into a warm motor in the cross over and in 20 min the car settled down and havent had any issues since then! its just a personal experience but if you have the 30.00 to take a chance then what do you have to loose? you would gain the car being operational if only for a month or year or longer who knows.. i can only say in my case it worked. and thankfully as i cant afford to fix the gasket right now.. hell cant even buy the gasket set let alone pull the motor.. if you do give it a go.. make sure to pour it directly into the crossover tube...then fire it up let it get hot turn it off let it cool and fill see what happens...

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/14-head-gasket-fix-1111

Last edited:
I'm really tempted. Thanks for sharing your experience. The only reason I have never tried something that you just leave in and add directly to coolant is because of fear of clogging the radiator or heater core. That would decrease the value of the car if I sold it, however, now it's looking like it's not worth much anyway. If I'm going to part it out at some point then I don't have much to lose.

OK, I don't see anything on the #1111 bottle that says "copper". Bars Leaks does sell a copper product #1109, but I think it's for radiators and intakes.

I'm just looking at the ad, not the actual bottle.

That stuff works great. That's what I told sprocket to use in his original post about his DA. Does not clog heater cores or radiators. Only problem is it only lasts about 3 months. I've used it in about 5 Mark VIII's for various reasons. As a matter of fact it's in my current black 98 that i'm driving right now. [like a dumb ass I swapped one motor with blown head gaskets for another with blown head gaskets because I didn't check it before I swapped it.] Black 98 will get another engine in a few months, but this way I can drive it and find out what other issues need to be addressed. Anyway this is why I asked 96 lincoln lsc how long it had been in his car in his post. Stuff only lasts 3 months in my experience. Another example, we used it in an 02 f-150 5.4 sohc at work because customer needed time to save enough money for correct head job. It lasted almost 3 months to the day. He brought it in and we replaced head gaskets. Sprocket I don't think it will work in your DA on top of the other stuff. And is your DA a true lsc? I've never seen a DA that was an lsc.

As a matter of fact it's in my current black 98 that i'm driving right now. [like a dumb ass I swapped one motor with blown head gaskets for another with blown head gaskets because I didn't check it before I swapped it.] .

That is too funny. :Bang

For future reference, what is the best way to check for a blown head gasket on an engine that is not in a car? Mine has no coolant in the oil and no external leaks. It also passed a compression test. I never did a leak down test though. Is that the key?

That stuff works great. That's what I told sprocket to use in his original post about his DA. Does not clog heater cores or radiators. Only problem is it only lasts about 3 months. I've used it in about 5 Mark VIII's for various reasons. As a matter of fact it's in my current black 98 that i'm driving right now. [like a dumb ass I swapped one motor with blown head gaskets for another with blown head gaskets because I didn't check it before I swapped it.] Black 98 will get another engine in a few months, but this way I can drive it and find out what other issues need to be addressed. Anyway this is why I asked 96 lincoln lsc how long it had been in his car in his post. Stuff only lasts 3 months in my experience. Another example, we used it in an 02 f-150 5.4 sohc at work because customer needed time to save enough money for correct head job. It lasted almost 3 months to the day. He brought it in and we replaced head gaskets. Sprocket I don't think it will work in your DA on top of the other stuff. And is your DA a true lsc? I've never seen a DA that was an lsc.

If I get 3 months out of it Ill flush and do the same again.. i will save up for the 30 bucks to keep the car running until I get enough time to either replace or repair the head.. My motor has 230K on the clock and still runs great minus other vehicle aging issues... but I love the car and honestly, its great on gas and when i need the power its there. as far as having blue devil in there as long as he has coolant and fills it when the motor is (WARM) not HOT.. from the crossover tube and then cranks up the car immediately and lets it run for like 20 -30 min I noticed it immediately. Car ran smooth and temps dropped considerably...

I got an email response today that said "Still Have car?" Of course I can't respond to that because it might be phishing spam. It's better than "I very interested in item", which I have also received.

Members online

No members online now.
Back