How much $$$ for a good tune-up

POPPABEAR78

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas just wondering and asking how much do you guys pay for a tune-up and what does a GOOD tune-up consists of.
I ve been getting SEVERAL PRICES RANGING FROM $60- $220.
Can someone help me in ginving me an idea on what to pay and expect to hav done on my baby.... :L :feedback

Well I doubt that you could get a legitimate tune up for under 200. There is some considerable disassembly that has to take place whether you have the V6 or the V8. If you go to the dealer I think they charge around 800 +/-. But essentially a tune up consist of changing the plugs because it is a distributorless system. No plug wire or distributor cap etc to replace.

You might discover while they are changing the plugs that the valve cover gaskets need replacing as well which could lead to a few coils being replaced. If you have some simple hand tools you can give your car the total treatment for a few hundred bucks and that would include replacing the VC gaskets and plugs as well as a few coils if you do discover oil on them.

It depends on if you plan to do the work yourself... OR have somebody else... Or the $tealership!!!.

What is consists of....:

- New Plugs and Wires
- Oil (I use Mobil-1 Synth)
- Filters (Fuel/Oil/Air)

Thats the basics right there... But try to remember your last tranny service.
If you can't its probably time... There are also a ton of other things you can
do/add as you go, but as said, that is the basics...

I went to Pep Boys for my stuff: Cost me about $120
for: Oil - Plugs - Filters - Lucas Oil Treatment - Lucas Tranny Treatment (RED Syrup)
and Lucas Fuel Treatment!... Car really does respond to TLC!!!!!

Hey Good looking with the info, wow $800 ? I guess they are giving me real simple tune up jobs or they are waiting to charge me the rest when I get there and pay more like always, Im not very mechanical but I do have friends who wont mind giving me a hand.

But thanks for the reply, and from a scale from 1-10 how hard is it to tune-up a 01 LS V8 yourself ?

Thanks again !

Thanks jamler, If Im able to do it myself I will nothing better than the feeling when you pamper and care for your own car, but if its too much for me I might have to have someone else do it.

add a swap of your cabin air filter.

if it's getting long in miles look at the typical belts and hoses stuff.

POPPABEAR78 said:
Hey Good looking with the info, wow $800 ? I guess they are giving me real simple tune up jobs or they are waiting to charge me the rest when I get there and pay more like always, Im not very mechanical but I do have friends who wont mind giving me a hand.

But thanks for the reply, and from a scale from 1-10 how hard is it to tune-up a 01 LS V8 yourself ?

Thanks again !

if you have a good set of metric tools I would rate the job a 3 on the person and a 7 on the wallet :). Plus there is a tech doc posted that should give a good idea of what you might have to do if you find oil on the coils.

Members online

Back